SherpaKroto Injury

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get well soon Sherpa! We've never met, but my dad Max has told me many stories. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet you on the trails someday.

Matt
(also a big fan of "The Doctor" - straight from the freezer is best)

I just got off the phone with Sherpa. As with all recoveries, his is not without its setbacks. He's not having a very good day today. Woke up nauseous and generally not feeling well. He told me that he feels worse today than he has since his accident. He is also experiencing some droopiness on one side of his face, and his double vision isn't going away, thus they are doing another CT scan (I guess this is #4). This setback will delay his transfer to Leahy at least one day.

Despite all of this, he is in incredibly good spirits. The Sherpa humor we have all come to know and love is still there. His injuries and the morphine have done nothing to dull his sharp wit and quick retorts! He sends his thanks to everyone for all the good wishes being sent his way. He is looking forward to getting home and even if hiking isn't in the picture this summer (given a 3 to 6 month recovery timeframe) he hopes to do a lot of kayaking instead. It's great to see his positive outlook (even on a very bad day). I guess I will stop complaining about my screaming calf muscles after my Kinsman hike Saturday.

Keep the good wishes coming - VFTT needs SherpaK back and on the mend!

Has anyone found out if he has disability insurance? If not, that will be one of his biggest worries and we should start fundraising...

I had a convo last night with him - and more of the same of what little bear said good spirits, etc..

I did not pry into personal matter such as as money with him - but he did mention - there was nothing to worry about with "work issues" as his boss was being great about the entire thing. He does work for a major bank/investment house, etc - so I would think that he does have some type of DI - but I am not an expert on these matters.

Gris said:
Has anyone found out if he has disability insurance? If not, that will be one of his biggest worries and we should start fundraising...
SherpaK is all set here, his employer has a good setup.

-dave-

Between all the phone calls we've been making to this poor guy, it's a wonder he'll be able to recuperate! :D Sherpa, if you ever read this: This just happens to be the curse of being so loved and popular!

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Mrs. Sherpa who wants to let everyone know how appreciative SherpaK is for all of our support. They're both absolutely floored by the outpouring.

He's very very tired and still very sore, but looking forward to hopefully getting back to MA in the next day or so. At this point, he's asking for no visitors or phone calls just so he can get some sleep and really give his body the rest that it needs to get back in the saddle. Can't say I blame him given the beating he took kissing the ski slope and tree!

Last edited:
alpinista said:
UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Mrs. Sherpa who wants to let everyone know how appreciative SherpaK is for all of our support. They're both absolutely floored by the outpouring.

He's very very tired and still very sore, but looking forward to hopefully getting back to MA in the next day or so. At this point, he's asking for no visitors or phone calls just so he can get some sleep and really give his body the rest that it needs to get back in the saddle. Can't say I blame him given the beating he took kissing the ski slope and tree!

I'm not surprised. Given the number of ribs he broke, on both sides, I imagine it hurts to breathe, nevermind talk and laugh. The body is an amazing thing though, and if you give it what it wants and needs, it will heal. My best to you SK! Hope to meet you on the trails someday, when you're ready! I have no doubt you'll be back soon, but take whatever time you need. We'll gladly wait and rejoice when you return. :)

Dear sherpaK,

my name is william. i must be the only person on the east coast who has not had the pleasure of meeting you. or the good doctor. I am very sorry to hear of your accident. I wish you a speedy recovery. yes, that's partly cuz i am impatient and would like to meet you on the trails sooner than later. and the good doctor too. i wish you the best :)

the starchild

I go away a few days to Stamford & this happens. I thought the ski jumping you did when you were younger was dangerous!

Get well soon dude, at least the knees will be healed.

BTW, on the way back home I caught the SOB & now you don't want him. I've got to cut him off the front fender now & release him :D (kidding sadly)

Get well soon, if love and friends are the best medecines, from what i see here you will heal in a record time...
Louis

I got the following email from Sherpa's nephew, Mark, and he asked me to post it:

I spoke to my uncle SK on Thursday and I remember him saying how proud the family was of me? Well anyone can get a job and buy a house, but what you have done uncle SK is just unbelievable and takes guts, determination, and lots of hard work. All the people's lives you have touched is just amazing and the help you give people on the trail is just awesome, like an honorary trail ambassador to the Northeast. So I hope you stay positive, heal up, and get back out on the trails so I can finally hike with you. Get well buddy.

- darren

SK: your anticipated return to the outdoors in any capacity,.. your first escape from rehab on a warm sunny day..will make the struggles ahead well worth it. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

As a MRI tech, don't fear our machines if you need follow up above and beyond CT scans any good MRI staff will take great care of you. And don't be afraid to ask lots of questions to any and all doctors...they are there for you.

susan

Thanks Darren for sharing Mark's comments Trail Ambassador, sounds so formal, I like it

I hope he feels better & is back out hiking this summer, if he attends the Gathering as his first Event, I've got to go now. Can't wait to hike with him again so I can go back to the term I usually think of when I think of all the people he touches here & on the trail. We had a thread about it not to long ago. :D

SK, you know I mean it in the nicest of ways too. :D

Kroto's update from Elle

Thanks to Darren for allowing me to post.

I am overwhelmed by the response from all of you. Paul is a very lucky guy to have so many caring friends, and of course to be alive.

He is on route to the Lahey Clininc in Burlington Ma as I type this message. He will probably be there for a few weeks and then most likley go to a rehab facility.

Our address is 328 Haverhill Street , Norht Reading MA 01864, if you wish to send a card.

After reading the wonderful things you've all said about your SherpaK, I will have to rethink the whole hiing experience. I guess the only way to meet this lovable , helpful, fun loving guy, is on a trail.!! :D

I swore I would never refer to him as Sherpa but as usual he has won.

You all obviously love him and I have great faith that he will recover and be hiking sooner than we all think.

Thank You all for being so sweet.

Elle

Love your "trailname," Elle ... whoops, I mean MrsSherpaKroto! Welcome to VFTT... Now we WILL definitely get you out hiking. It's the right thing to do, after all, eh...

And you get a "greenie" for your first post!

After Healing

Sherpa,

I almost envy you -- sounds perverse, I know, but after your injuries heal, that first hike is gonna feel SOOOO Good! :) It'll be like your first time all over again.

And I hope it happens soon.

Gee, all I have to do is house chores for my wife to let me go....broken ribs? shoulder? coller bone? :eek:

now that's a little crazy to do to get sympthony from my wife...but if that's what it takes...na....I'll just take more Home Depot classes....

MrsSherpaK....Paul helped me out answering about 50 e mails for my first winter gathering last year in NH....even if he is a Red Sox fan I like him a lot...wish him well for me..