Short snowshoe trip ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skennenden

Reaction score
We're looking for a shorter and less demanding snowshoe trip in the Adirondacks,but still want to do a small mountain. Has anyone snowshoed Roostercomb or Snow? We've hiked many of the higher peaks, but don't have the time this trip for anything over 4 hours. Due to lack of snow, I haven't been on my snowshoes this year, so I'm going to be slow. Any info. would be really appreciated. We're limited to the area from Cranberry Lake, high peaks, over to Long Lake. Thanks.

How about Round Mt, next to Noonmark....

Al and I were talking about Owl's Head as we were driving past it this past weekend.. It's so smack dab in front of you and fairly prominent while driving down 73...

Jay

Jay H said:
How about Round Mt, next to Noonmark....

Al and I were talking about Owl's Head as we were driving past it this past weekend.. It's so smack dab in front of you and fairly prominent while driving down 73...

Jay
Mt. Jo at the Loj might be too short, but it has great views! Just do it twice! :D

There are a lot of the firetowers that are not long, difficult hikes. Check out the list at http://www.adk-gfs.org/fire_tower_challenge.html

Last edited:
Hurricane Mountain is short but has excellent views. There's also 3 trails to the summit, so it gives a variety of options and a possibility for a through hike.

Mt Van Hoevenberg might be kind of long for the 4 hours, but you get to check out the bobsled/luge run at the Sports Center...

Jay

Long Lake has Owl's Head it's a firetower peaks with nice views.

Blue Mountain Lake has Blue Mountain-one of the finest in the area.

Newcomb has Goodnow as mentioned above and Mount venderwacker. However might be too long, unless you can ski the access road.

Cranberry Lake area there is Arab and Azure, both 2 mile RT climbs and within resonable driving distance to one another.

Lake Placid there's Cobble Hill, Haystack ( maybe a little long for 4 hours). Balanced Boulders/Lemon Squeezer on Pitchoff. Mount VanHovenburg from the Verizon Bobsled Center, Mount Jo (Tom is right killer views).

Keene has Owl's Head, Giant Cobble, Round, Blueberry, Crows, Hurricane.

Take your pick. Any of these you can find in the trail guides with detailed trail descriptions. All of which are really nice.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. Do you know how far up the road they plow for the crows? We were there last summer and I thought it would make a great snowshoe hike.

The Crows is a loop trail. You can approach to Little Crow from Hurricane Road which is always plowed. However the trail sign is not there and is a little tricky to find. The road to crow clearing isn't plowed all the way. I believe there is a snowplow turn around just before the final right. Probobly adds 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile one way to your trip. All up hill. If you don't mind reclimbing Little Crow, which I might add is a small undertaking-just approach from that side.

I did the complete loop, road walk and everything with one car, wasn't bad at all.