Shrewsbury Peak, Little Killington & Killington, Sunday January 7, 2007

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
I'd been dreaming of doing this hike ever since I first discovered Shrewsbury Peak and the amazing forest that is surrounded by the Long Trail in this area. I spent weeknights last summer running, walking, or mountain biking with the traildoggies on Wheelerville Rd in Mendon VT just gazing up at the ridgeline thinking, "what a great day hike that would be". Even though I'd gone through this area during my Southern 100 LT Backpack in 2003, and have hiked Killington & Pico from every conceivable approach, including the Mendon Bushwack (where I didn't actually go to Mendon but just made a loop with the Bucklin Trail!); the concept of stringing the serene and quite neighbor of Shrewsbury Peak in with this section of the LT was something I'd really been wanting to do.
So yesterday, MichaelJ and I left his car up at the AT/LT crossing on VT Rt 4; and my car up on the CCC road (just beyond the still open gate and about a mile of mud and glare ice); crossed our fingers that we could still get to it later; and began this novel hike.
We pulled into the parking lot behind a blue Jeep Cherokee with VT tags, and immediately recognized two VT good ole boys that we've seen out on these local trails before. We gave them a bit of a headstart as we got our gear out. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, it was about 40 degrees; and all I could think at that moment was "wow, the snowmobilers must be hurtin' for something to do today!".
We set off on the trail which begins a steep ascent and then levels before reaching the Russell Hill Shelter at about 0.2 miles. It then gradually climbs up over Russell Hill through a pretty beech forest. The trail quickly descends into a deep ravine, the rocks still mossy and the ferns still green. We soon caught up with the other group and passed them briefly on the far side of the ravine, only to pause momentarily for a "layer break" where they met up with us again. We, of course, spoke about the weather. "Warm for this time of year", "Ski areas are really beginning to feel the pinch"....soon we were off again and climbing steadily up through the hardwood forest. We left them soon enough and wouldn't see them again until the summit.
One of the coolest things about this trail (to me) is that its pure hardwood and then BAM! pure softwood. As you scoot along a contour line at about 2500 feet, the trail approaches an evergreen stand. Here the prescence of moose becomes evident with many tracks and bedding sites. And suddenly, the hiker enters an ethereal conifer forest, never to see the hardwoods again. You can literally take a step back and be in the sunlit hardwood forest and a step forward and be surrounded by the cool comfort of the pines. Just lovely...its like someone opens an invisible door to another world.
From here the grade steepens. Moose tracks are everywhere, along with prominent browse marks on nearly every tree along the trail. The moose may use this narrow path more than people! There is still blowdown from the last time I hiked here (back in October) as well as some new stuff. Up and up the trail climbs, always steep but at the same time soft underfoot. A few areas of exposed rock and forced us to consider our footing, but we barebooted to the summit and were greeted by FANTASTIC south facing views of Ascutney, Stratton, Dorset and Equinox. The high valley below where we parked sprawled out in the foreground and the never ending rolling tableau of the Greens stretched out as far as we could see. Greylock may have been there, too, if we had cared to strain our eyes...but the glorious sun shining down on us as we ate our salami, cheese and crackers and spied on ponds and wetlands below from our solitary perch, me dreaming of moose; all that was an eyeful and we drank it in. Soon our new friends were on top. I had wondered if they'd make it up, with the ice. They were father and adult son, and the Dad was wearing plastic muck boots. But here we all were, smiling and feeling accomplished! We left them to the summit. I had overheard in the parking lot that they'd be taking the Black Swamp Trail back down to the CCC road, which adds a bit of road work but makes a sweet little five mile loop for anyone who is interested. We wondered aloud if they'd see our car, and would wonder where we had gone off to today. Noteworthy, the gate on the Black Swamp Trail stays closed until July, there is a spring in the area that is a watering spot for black bears and their young (as noted by the GMC).
MichaelJ and I continued on. When I was on Shrewsbury for the first time, I was with a friend new to hiking, and we were doing an out and back. I remember seeing the spikey spruce covered ridge unfold before us then, and I soooooo wanted to keep hiking that day...alas, we turned back then, but I KNEW I'd come back here and explore that ridge. And today was the day! :)
A small trail comes in from the left here. I *suspect* it is the old Long Trail and some USGS maps show a footpath coming up here, following the ridge we will cross to Little Killington, continuing to Mendon, then dropping down a ravine before reaching the first knob on Mendon and continuing down to meet the all terrain section of the Notch Rd. If anyone has beta on that trail, I'd love to hear it! (and it may be on VAST Maps, which I will be ordering! :D )
Continuing along, the Black Swamp Trail (marked by a decrepit sign stating "Shelter" drops off to the right/east. Our blue blazed Shrewsbury Peak trail narrows, winding close to the surrounding spruce. Moose tracks and scat are everywhere, and its FRESH! Yay! MJ will attest with my obsession with seeing moose or any evidence of these magestic keepers of the North Woods. But, since we are sooo chatty, its doubtful today we'll see one. One pile, two piles, three piles and "sssshhhh" says MichaelJ. "I just heard a snorting sound over there in the woods!". We stand, I am completely polarized staring headlong into the spruce. To my right, a chickadee russles and takes flight. I nearly scream....OK....I gotta work on that if I want to see some wildlife!!! (tee hee). We continue onward, we can feel the descent but its so gradual, so soft, so circuitous! Its a wonderful trail and I am so happy we came! Soon we enter a clearing, we look behind us and spot our ridgewalk...its so green, so quiet, so hidden. MJ is very into the clearing. Several small brooks start here and radiate off in alternating directions. We've hit a divide.

Last edited:
Shrewsbury Peak, Little Killington & Killington Part II

After scratching VFTT and RoT into the snow, we shove off and enter the spruce forest once again. Small brooks cascade off everywhere. Small staircases and superb trailwork emerge as we continue. We know we are near the LT/AT jct. Thanks to my ancient edition of the LT guide, we know we will hit it, but before or after Little Killington is at question. The trail rolls, turns, dips and climbs. Snow appears. We are barebooting and sinking here an there, but the snow is only inches deep and a hard crust supports us for most of the way. On the upclimbs we catch glimpses of Mendon. Its awesome looking from this perspective. A marble massif in the middle of the trail catches our curiosity momentarily. I think about the marble mining and am so grateful so much of the Greens are intact.
We hit the LT . Pictures are taken and we turn north. Will we summit Little Killington? Its the question of the hour. The snow slows us and makes for some fun. We stop and eat burritos and sip cocoa and watch the snowguns blare on Killington as the skiiers, like ants, buzz down the slopes below us. The gondola looks hideous to me, but I know MJ is thinking about skiing, so I keep my opinions to myself. :eek:
Soon we are climbing the ridge up to Killington proper. No sooner than I recall where we bushwacked up the slope from the Mendon Bushwack Trail, do I see the cairn! The trail looks so beaten in and overused --- guess alot of folks bagged Mendon this summer! We reach Cooper Lodge in a few minutes. Naturally, we are sure that a winter list SOMEWHERE includes Killington, so we begin barebooting it up. Ice is everywhere, and its thick. Pretty soon the footing becomes too precarious for rockpicking, and we don our trusty Stabies. OK, its now that I realize I'm missing the bolts on the toes of both feet, and realize I am pretty much worse off with the bare rubber racing slicks on my feet. Up we go. Its a short climb and we've both done it a handful of times in terrible weather, so no worries. I get off the trail inadvertently and complete the final push on an exposed ledge of bare rock and scree....yippee! We are on top...and the summit is EMPTY! <insert happy dance>
What a great view! Abe & Ellen, Camels Hump (das Hoomp!), Mansfield all north of us; The Moose, Kinsmans and Franconia Ridge to the East. What-A-day! We scramble down.
After a brief stop at the Cooper Pooper, we set off on the final leg of our journey to Rt 4. I casually drop my "its about three and a half miles more" statement that I so frequently flaunt (sorry MJ, I knew it was more like 6.5 but EZ!) and we begin to cruise.
I've got a second wind and begin to haul my sorry @$$ at a brisk pace. My breathing, the passing trees, the click of my poles....yeah baby! I'm in the ZONE! Love it. I can hear MichaelJ behind me ask "where the hell did you get all this energy??". We keep a brisk pace all the way to the Sherbourne Trail Jct. Its getting dark, and we take the opportunity to pull out our headlamps. We continue along the ridge, staying in the spruce. I spot something white just off the trail, very nearby. Its a hare!!! MichaelJ takes a picture while I'm thinking, "wow...poor thing, temperature tells its fur to turn white and we have no snow..its such a target". The little cutie wiggles its whiskers and chews vigourously, then hops off to safety.
Headlamps are soon on. I needed this section of the LT because I went down to Rt 4 via Pico on my backpack. We drop into hardwoods but never lose too much elevation. The lights of the condos at Pico twinkle. We keep walking. I think of the dogs, who are not with us today, never thought we'd be this long...and I pick up the pace again. We begin to climb...drat...then cross a boulder field...double drat. We reach a jct with the shelter...and quickly bypass it. We cross a brook. We still aren't dropping significantly. Suddenly the thrill of finally doing the hike is tempered by my desire to get home. The sound of cars first far off, now closer is heard. We drop. Soon the road is loud, and we see the passing headlights. The CAR!
Yay! What a wonderful hike. Post hike pics are taken, then a stop at Green Mountain Rotisserie, then off to get my car on the CCC. Will the gate be locked? Will there be more ice?? We reach the road, and find item 4 has been put down on the mudbogs...nice work on a sunday, Shrewsbury Highway Dept! Hope they got triple time and a half for that, we appreciated the traction!The car is reached, all is fine, we arrive home, the doggies are happy and sleepy-eyed...it was a wonderful day!

Total mileage about 13. Time about 8 hours. Views...priceless.

MJ will put up pics soon.

una_dogger - great hike! Thinking about doing this same route this weekend! If the gate in CCC is closed, how long a hike is it to the trailhead from the gate? Is there a place to park near the gate if it is closed?

Thanks,

Sue

Hey Suebiscuit;
There is a small turn out just before the gate and then its about a 0.10 mile walk to the trailhead. FYI, we came in on the west end of the CCC from N Shrewsbury. Not sure which way you are coming.
Have a great hike!
Sabrina

Thanks for the reply! We would (if this is the plan chosen!) probably be coming in from the route 100 side...the other end of the CCC road between Woodward reservoir and Balck Pond - know anything ab out that side?

Sure do. It starts lower and has a couple of wide switchbacks in the beginning. Albee posted on ROT that he went down that way on sunday and it was better than coming in from the West (which we both did). I'm not sure where the gate is on that end, but the gate on the West end is very close to the trailhead. That said, we are expecting an icy mix here, and had some snow this morning.

Overall its a nice wide road with good shoulders. It was built by the Conservation Corps, hence the name CCC.
You can reach the CCC pretty easily if you take Rt 103 West, and follow the signs to N Shrewsbury/Cuttingsville. Its on the VT Gazeteer (if you have one) or if you don't, feel free to pm me for more explicit directions!
:)
S

Thanks! Have the gazeteer and my TOPO map shows the road as well... should be able to find it! Will take a look on RoT for Albee's post...

The CCC road was fine on the eastern (Rt 100) side this past Sunday, although I don't know if they are getting snow up there this week or not. (Snow looks like a possibility for Saturday)

The gate was open, but it was at the very bottom of the road - about 2.6 miles from the Black Swamp trailhead, and 3.6 miles from the trail that I climbed. There looked to be room to park at the gate but I'm not sure if they recommend it. Don't be afraid if you see a lot of ice when you get to the gate - it just seems to collect there more than on the road itself. If you must walk the road, just know that it is a pretty steady uphill for the first 2 miles or so, but not the whole way. There was a tiny bit of ice in spots, but not enough that you couldn't drive around it. Just go slow enough (especially going downhill) and you'll get there and back without difficulty. You will know the parking area when you get to it - it looked quite well maintained when I drove by.

Una_dogger's traverse looked like a beautiful route. Have fun!

I only have awesome things to say about this hike; una_dogger has indeed wanted to do this one for a long time, and I as well, and it lived up to all expectations!

I'm a little blank on details right now (I'm still at work), but for now enjoy the photo album !