Sierra Designs Lightning & Big Agnes Bug Town Tents

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBear

Reaction score
Does anyone have or know anything about either of these tents? Weight? Roominess? Ease of set up? Etc.

I couldn't find anything about the Big Agnes Bug Town on their website. Is this a discontinued model?

Bug Town info
Bug Town is rated for 3 people. I believe it is discontinued as I have seen it at Steep and Cheap or Sierra Trading recently

Lighning info
Lightning is 2 person

Kelty Teton 2
Very similar to SD Lightning at about half the price, sturdy little tent, a bit tight for 2 adults.

These are all pretty easy to set up, 3 season, small vestibule, self supporting, airy. What are you looking for ?

Snowman (or Ryan or trailbiscuit, whatever his name is!) and I have the Sierra Designs Lightening. We got it a few years back when we wanted a lighter, smaller tent (we also have the Sierra Designs Meteor Light CD), and it is awesome! It must have over 2000 miles on it (can a tent have miles? :D ) and it has held up great. It holds us and our packs (although we are both relatively small. OK, I'm small...) quite well. It may not work as well for two larger/taller people. It's also freestanding, which is great in our books. We can set it up, fly and all, in less than 3 minutes. Very easy. Plus, it weighs in at slightly less than 4 pounds, and we get to split that weight, so we love it :)
Needless to say, it gets a thumbs up from us!

IMO you can't go wrong w/ SD and

Arm posted a link a week or so ago to a place that was selling the Lightening dirt cheap (like $149...?)