ski poles/self arrest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jn316

Reaction score
i'm looking for opinions/advice on hiking poles that have a self-arrest pick on the handle.

Opinion:
If I really think I may need to be able to self arrest on a given route, I want to be holding the proper gear to do so. Affordable axes are now down under a pound, so the decision, in my opinion, is an easy one.

avk4316 said:
i'm looking for opinions/advice on hiking poles that have a self-arrest pick on the handle.

The BD whippet may be what you are thinking of. Intended to give a skier some chance of self arrest. (Poles by themselves are nearly useless for self arrest.)

A poor substitute for an ice axe. In fact, some extreme skiers ski with a pole and an axe. If you are going anywhere where step cutting or self arrest may be required, get an axe.

There was just a thread on this same topic here or on the AMC BBS, but searches fail to find it...

Doug

Those picks are handy for hanging your poles on a nearby tree branch while you pee.

I've been using a whippet this year. I tend to prefer using a single pole and like the cane handled ones, it seemed a natural to me.

I don't see the whippet as a self arrest device of any real use. What I do like is a handy pick to take ice off a ledge/step, hook on something to help extend my reach or nail into the pack to get a grip where there is none.

We were attempting Haystack earlier this season and on the south side of little haystack we found ourselves on crampon terrain with snowshoes. I settled down on my butt, feet against a cairn. My partner was on a chute, balance was precarious, she did manage to sit but was not in a stable stance (seat?). Being able to stick the whippet into the snow-ice provided a handhold for both of us making the switching from snowshoes to crampons while wearing full packs possible.

So it's not a self arrest device but it can be a handy tool.

Petzl makes an ice axe with a telescoping pole...you might want to look into that. That way you have a proper self arrest tool as well as a hiking pole.

Edit: its called the snowscopic...a tad pricey I must add ($129 at mountaingear and amazon).

Jeebus said:
Petzl makes an ice axe with a telescoping pole...you might want to look into that. That way you have a proper self arrest tool as well as a hiking pole.

Edit: its called the snowscopic...a tad pricey I must add ($129 at mountaingear and amazon).

Ak! Looks to me like it compromises both functions.

Doug

It is indeed a compromise but the best compromise thus far. The pick seems fairly decent for self-arrest.
For what it is worth, Chad Kellogg, a fomer park ranger at Mount Rainier national park used it successfully for speed ascents of the hill

Jeebus said:
It is indeed a compromise but the best compromise thus far. The pick seems fairly decent for self-arrest.
For what it is worth, Chad Kellogg, a fomer park ranger at Mount Rainier national park used it successfully for speed ascents of the hill

The pick and adz might be ok.

However, the spike looks like a poor imitation of a real spike even with the basket removed. It doesn't look like it will work as well as a standard spike.

As a trekking pole, it is heavy, too short, needs a full size basket, and a decent wrist loop. It is more of a cane than a trekking pole.

If extended, the extension would likely interfere with self-arrest.

I would simply label it as an "adjustable length axe".

I would rather carry a standard 70cm axe and/or a separate set of poles.

Just my opinion, based upon the mountain gear description.

If one fell into my hand, I'b be curious, but I don't plan to search one out.
YMMV.

Doug