Sleep Medication - Starnoc / Zaleplon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spaddock

Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you had used this type of sleep aid in regards to hiking?

My guide out west told me he keeps starnoc in his kit for when he is in noisy huts or when he has to go to bed early for an alpine start. Apparently it has a half life of one hour and it is out of your system within four hours. He mentioned it was what the chopper pilots used too.

Obviously I will consult my doctor but I was just curious if any of you had tried it. I find it difficult to sleep the night before a big hike or in a noisy lean-to / windy rainy tent, etc.

-Shayne

I just carry earplugs. The in-the-ear-canal foam-cylinder type is comfortable and does not impede sleep for me. (I got mine at a hardware store.)

A single night of poor sleep has little effect on athletic performance the next day. (Multiple nights might be something else.)

Another cause of poor sleep the night before a big hike/climb can also be due to excitement or nervousnous. Don't know if sleep drugs will help this.

Wilkerson ("Medicine for Mountaineering") has a page on the topic: Doesn't mention starnoc (zaleplon). It does say that one shouldn't use "conventional sleeping medications" above 10Kft because they slow respiration and can aggravate the symptoms of AMS. "Acetazolamide [Diamox] is the drug of choice for promoting sleep at higher elevations."

Doug

DougPaul said:
I just carry earplugs. The in-the-ear-canal foam-cylinder type is comfortable A single night of poor sleep has little effect on athletic performance the next day. (Multiple nights might be something else.)
Another cause of poor sleep the night before a big hike/climb can also be due to excitement

Earplugs don't usually work for me. Interesting what you said about little effect on performance. I seem to be able to pull together a 12 hour hike after as little as 15 minutes of sleep, whereas if I was at work I'd be asleep at my desk by 10am. However, I can't do back to backs if I don't get my sleep, after the one big day I'm completely wasted on day two.

My biggest problem seems to be the excitement factor, I thought after my 46 that would subside, so far it hasn't.

-Shayne

I'm an earplugs guy as well, but use a slightly better (IMHO) earplug than Doug. I use Flents - the purple variety (what else) you get at a drug store or at Walmart's drug store area. You get a small bag of them for about $3. Works great on airplanes as well as anyplace you want to shutout the world.

Kevin Rooney said:
I'm an earplugs guy as well, but use a slightly better (IMHO) earplug than Doug. I use Flents - the purple variety (what else)
Flents: http://www.apothecaryproducts.com/catalogue/grouping.asp?CatID=183&GroupID=682

Looks pretty similar to those that I use, except that mine are yellow and cylindrical (http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/CBT3101001.html, except in a smaller package.). Both have essentially the same spec: 29 or 30 db attenuation. I've had conical plugs that tended to work themselves out--the cylinders stay in better.

I'm sure there are many manufacturers of similar plugs.

They don't completely block out all noise, but they do bring it down a good bit.

Doug

Last edited:
sleeping trouble

As long as you have no cardiac issues I would suggest taking a benadryl. Cheaper solution and good to carry in the warmer months in case of bee stings etc.. Used with a good set of comfortable ear plugs should provide a good nights sleep.

I usually have trouble sleeping on night one of a multi day trip and a bendryl helps alot.

blownaway said:
As long as you have no cardiac issues I would suggest taking a benadryl. Cheaper solution and good to carry in the warmer months in case of bee stings etc.. Used with a good set of comfortable ear plugs should provide a good nights sleep.

I usually have trouble sleeping on night one of a multi day trip and a bendryl helps alot.

Does work well for some but it can have the opposit effect. It makes me jittery :confused:

I have chronic insomnia under the best of circumstances and so have prescriptions for Ambien and Sonata. My primary problem is "letting go" to fall asleep and so I prefer Sonata because it has a shorter time of effectiveness. I have two prescriptions because my tolerence level builds on one, so I have to occasionally switch to the other. The down side of both is some amnesia of what I was doing before sleep, such as talking on the phone or folding laundry or packing my bags for a trip. Benedryl makes me jittery, too.

sleep aids

Sonata, Ambien, and Starnoc (only sold in Canada) are habit forming prescription medications (hypnotics) that shouldn't be taken for more than 7-10 days. A good physician will not write you a prescription. A hiking trip doesn't justify a need. Hike alitte harder, avoid caffiene, wear earplugs, take some melatonin or other mild over the counter sedative /cold medicine. The list of side effects and possibility of developing dependancy are a serious matter with the hypnotics.

Last edited:
blownaway said:
Sonata, Ambien, and Starnoc (only sold in Canada) are habit forming prescription medications (hypnotics) that shouldn't be taken for more than 7-10 days. A good physician will not write you a prescription. A hiking trip doesn't justify a need. Hike alitte harder, avoid caffiene, wear earplugs, take some melatonin or other mild over the counter sedative /cold medicine. The list of side effects and possibility of developing dependancy are a serious matter with the hypnotics.

I'm not talking about taking it continuously. What interested me about that particular sleep aid is that it is completely out of your system in 4 hours. Most over the counter medicines take at least 8 hours. Obviously I don't want to get hooked on anything which is why I talked to the camp doctor about it briefly.

For our mountaineering trip it is somewhat justified, in my opinion. For an alpine start of say 3am I would find it incredibily difficult to be asleep by 7pm. If I'm on a rope with four other people who are depending on me I want to be at my best. The one night I took an over the counter pill I took it too late, at 9pm and I was way groggy when I woke up at 4am. Yes I should have taken it earlier but these things happen.

-Shayne

Shayne,

Humm...At LEAST 4 HOURS of sleep is recommended. Everyone is different and many other factors come into play such as an empty or full stomach, weight, etc.. With a medication of this type it may take a while (several days) to determine what dose is right for you...5mg, 10mg? You may be wide awake after 4 hrs or drowsy as hell...thus putting yourself and friends in danger due to poor decision making abilities from a drug that's not entirely out of your system. IMO it's better to nap on and off most of the night than to experiment with prescription drugs.

Starnoc is a sleep medication designed to assist you in obtaining a FULL nights sleep (not 4 hours). A full nights sleep/rest is of great benefit for the sick, or for wound repair/healing....mountaineers and hikers should look elsewhere.

<mod hat>
I'm going to close this thread. Please avoid recommending perscription medications to others. That's what doctors are for. If you have any questions about closing this thread, please PM me.

-dave-
</mod hat>

Status
Not open for further replies.