Sleeping bag help!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Reaction score
My 10+ year old, 3 season down bag is due for an upgrade. Sad to say goodbye but as I get older it gets heavier and colder..- Looking for a “2” season bag to fit nicely between my -20 winter bag and my 40+ summer bag. So….I’m looking at options for a 15-20 degree down bag at about 2 lbs w/ a full or ¾ zip which off course would be very inexpensive

The REI sub kilo +20 bag looks very tempting especially with my 20% off coupon and dividend-(I am going to crawl into one to check out the fit)

Anyone have this bag or opinions on it- other bags to look at?

just picked up an ems womens boreal 20 degree bag for my girlfriend. it uses polarguard delta instead of down, but is lightweight and on sale for $99 on their website anyway. the site claimed 3 pounds, but it seems much lighter than that to me anyway (i haven't done any scientific tests). pertex shell and a pretty roomy (but not to roomy) cut. hasn't made it outside yet to get a true opinion. probably wouldn't last you as long as your old down bag though.

bryan

just to ammend my last post, i don't know what the price was on the mens model, but i think it was in that same ballpark. the weight may have been a bit heavier in the longer mens length as well.

bryan

zman said:
My 10+ year old, 3 season down bag is due for an upgrade. Sad to say goodbye but as I get older it gets heavier and colder..- Looking for a “2” season bag to fit nicely between my -20 winter bag and my 40+ summer bag. So….I’m looking at options for a 15-20 degree down bag at about 2 lbs w/ a full or ¾ zip which off course would be very inexpensive

The REI sub kilo +20 bag looks very tempting especially with my 20% off coupon and dividend-(I am going to crawl into one to check out the fit)

Anyone have this bag or opinions on it- other bags to look at?
Whatever you decide, it is worth a small extra expense to also pick up a lightweight liner, preferably silk. It will extend the temp range of your bag by a few degrees, help to keep your bag clean, provide more flexibility, and on warm summer nights (with a summer bag) the liner may be all you need. I have a light one and a heavier one depending on conditions, wouldn't be without one.