Slumberjack Latitude

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentD22

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased a sleeping bag from campor.com?

The Kelty and Slumberjack sleeping bags seem cheap. They are rated at and around 0 degrees, but are all tempture ratings the same? Why are those bags so cheap (around $45-$70)?

I've had a few slumberjack sleeping bags that I got at Campmor, many years ago. I found them to be decent for the price. Not a fantastic deal, but not junk. They are a bit bulky and heavy, and I'm not sure I would hold them to their rating.

In fact, I slept on one of them at the gathering. I think it was a -20 bag. It kept me warm, but it was far from -20 at night.

.. Hmmmmm.. supposed to be -20 tonight, but I'll be damned if I'm going to sleep out in my yard just to let you know how warm the bag keeps me.

Brent -
Some of those bags might be a little older perhaps hanging around at the factory or Campmor may have bought out the entire line. FWIW, they don't seem like bad deals - Good entry level bags, considering the fills were top of the line synths 15 -20 years ago.

I have 3 slumberjack down bags (good ol' pro-deals) that are at least 12-13 years old and they are still in fine shape.
I did have a SJ lite-loft bag about 15 years ago and returned it after 2 years due to loss of loft. At the time, the SJ rep said that they were replacing a lot of these bags as the material lost much loft within a year or two.

I had posted bits of the following over at ADK forum over the summer - It might help here. There's a lot here and it might be overkill, but if someone else beneifts, then great.

------------------------
Here's a quick rundown of fill materials. I am going from memory, so if anybody has additional or more refined info, please add or correct.

FWIW,
Dupont Hollofil 808 is the forerunner of Hollofil II and is an ancient (in terms of camping gear) single hollow core fiber - Think of a very small tube -Traps air inside - The more you can trap air, the better the insulation - The hollow core allowed it to loft a little better than standard solid core fibers that were even bulkier and heavier. I think Hollofil 808 came of age in the late 60's or early 70's.

Newer than 808 is Hollofil II - This is a 4 hole fiber (think of a tube with 4 holes or chambers that extend from end to end.) This offered more trapped air in each strand and even better lofting. This was around the late 70's IIRC.

Next was Qualofil - in the early/mid 80's. This took Hollofil one step further as it was a strand with 7 holes running from end to end. More trapped air, lighter material and better lofting.

Around this time (early 80's IIRC) Hoechst of Germany (My old predecessor company) came out with Polarguard (later 3-D, then Delta) which was a competitor of Dupont.

Dupont's next step in the early 90's was Microloft which was a fine polyester fiber (thinner than human hair strands) that was lighter and supposedly would loft better. Around the same time - 3M entered the picture with Thinsulate Lite-Loft - I beleive this had around the same track record as Dupont's Microloft.

I beleive Dupont then developed Thermax - But I don't know if or how it performs in sleeping bags.

The big problem with these bags - Especially the older generation fills - They are to heavy to be effective or efficient for long. Like a classic aerodynamics fuel/efficiency struggle - (The farther you fly, the more fuel you need, the more fuel you need causing a heavier plane requiring even more fuel.....)
With these lower end insluations The more insulation, the more loft you should get in theory, but in practice, because the fill is so heavy, you lose some loft... At some point you cannot just keep adding fill material without collapsing all loft

Also, the loft will likely go flat or get flatter (if not already) within a short period of time - Meaning that perhaps next year your 20d bag might be a 30d bag and in 2 years a 35 bag. 4.5 lbs is a lot of weight to carry.for that bag.

Finally, keep in mind that the hollofil series DO NOT STUFF well at all. It might take your whole backpack to fit this thing in - How small can you get it when it is 20d out and you are cold and trying to pack up....?

There's also construction and bag material, zippers and such - way too much to get into, but FWIW, these seem like great entry level bags, car camping or boy scout bags.

FYI: In Peterborough, NH and not sure where else, a "big box" clearance store called Ocean State Job Lots is selling 0 degree Slumberjack bag for $54(I think) and 20 degree bags for $39. Don't know if there last year's model or what. Probably not a bad buy for a car camping bag.

Couldn't find a listing for the store on the web.

slumberjack

I used a 20d slumberjack bag to trek Mt. Meru in Tanzania back in 1994. I carried it the entire way up! it was my first mummy style bag and it was HEAVY! After experimenting with several bags, Now I use an EMS Mountainlight -20d bag. Mega difference - You'll notice the difference in weight and size and warmth. After I upgraded to a newer bag, I was able to actually fit my gear in my pack and the bag didn't weigh a ton and I was actually warm.

I bought my wife a down slumberjack bag rated at 20d. It works fine for her as an entry level bag because she usually doesn't go out in harsh elements.

If you have time, the best way to tell the difference is go to your local shop, and check out the pricier bags and the cheaper bags. Check out how small they stuff down and how lofty they are and the weight. You should get an idea fairly quickly what the diff is.

I see the wieght issue

Ya wow I just looked at the site again and saw 5lbs. on avg. for the SJ bags.

I currectly have a peak one -20 bag, but it is old and heavy. When I purchased the bag it was top of the line (lol). I just can't afford the newer lighter bags. I'll have to take a trip up to IME's consignment shop. Maybe I'll be able to talk my wife into letting me go to EMS and purchasing a 0d bag. I saw on under $200.

Like I said, heavy and bulky. The heavy side doesn't bother me, since all it takes is a bit more strength to compensate. The bulkiness, however is more of a problem. When a pack is full, it is full.

I still think I had a reasonable deal with my SJ bags. Just know what you're getting.

I have a -30F SJ bag and I NEVER use it because it's too heavy (8lbs) and it takes up way too much of my pack, even in a compression sack.

bummer, I paid about 150 for it new about 6 years ago. Used it 3 times and decided to was just to heavy and bulky.