small zoom recomendations?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
I need to replace my 24-70mm f/2.8 Sigma. This is my workhorse and it's been a pleasure, but I dropped it and it's 5 years old anyway. It's still usable but it's time for a new workhorse.

I'm tempted by the range of an 18-200mm, but I'm suspicious of the sharpness throughout that range. Jim Salge uses a Sigma 18-200mm but he says it's a bit soft beyond 70mm.

I often wish my lens started smaller, say around 17mm. I'm happy with my 70-300mm IS Canon, but I need a smaller zoom to go with it.

Chime in, please :)

In digging around today after your earlier question, i'll put two possible options on the table...

Sigma seems to have improved upon the 18-200 with an OS model, and it gets better reviews.

I might consider the Sigma 17-70 though. I've shot with it before...seems sharp and solid. Gets good reviews, and a good price too...
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=321&sort=7&cat=37&page=1

Hopefully others have good thoughts...

Which camera body?

Doug

This will go, and stay, on the Canon XSi.

I'd be willing to go up to the $600-$800 range for an excellent zoom, and I am leaning toward keeping it in the 17-70mm range, since I do have the 700-300mm range covered.

I'd be willing to go up to the $600-$800 range for an excellent zoom, and I am leaning toward keeping it in the 17-70mm range, since I do have the 700-300mm range covered.
You might consider the Canon EF-S 17-85 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM. eFL 27-135mm.

I have one and am happy with it. It has a nice FL range and if I had to carry only one lens, this would be it. At least one other vftter also has one.

A review: http://bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/ef-s_17-85_review.html. Also has a bunch of lens reviews.

Doug

Last edited:
My son has a Sigma 17-70 f/2.8 to I think f/3.5. He is very happy with it on his 40D. He uses it for landscapes, commercial architecture, concerts and and some portraits at the longer end.