Smarts Mtn. & Mt. Cube loop 10/25/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDawg

Reaction score
Not really into typing long-winded trip reports these days, but just wanted to share a few photos of this fun loop I hiked the other day. Up Daniel Doan Trail to Smarts Mountain, AT North to Mt Cube (J Trail and Kodak Trail,) Cross-Rivendell Trail down to Baker Road, and followed Baker Road South back to Quinttown. 14ish miles in 6 hours along 99% new territory for me, only the Cube summit was familiar. The tower on Smarts was cool, good views. Didn't see one soul the whole hike, refreshing indeed.

Mt. Cube (left) and Black Hill from the Smarts Mtn. tower, and the ridge I'd walk along the AT in the foreground.

Quick break at Eastman Ledges, nice spot.

From whence I came. Looking South from Cube to Smarts Mtn, Holts Ledge, Moose Mtn, Mt. Ascutney, Grantham Mtn/Croydon Peak, etc.

Did I mention it was muddy in spots? No? Well it was, especially the first two miles north of Smarts on the AT.

Smarts Mtn. from Mousley Brook Road in Quinttown

One of two horse friends I made. Wish I had some greens to feed them, they accepted my apology. Mt. Cube in the sun behind.

I'd really recommend this route, I had a great afternoon. Baker Road was the only grey area I had going in, turned out to be fine. Heading south, when the newer and more well defined road swings left to a clearing, an older and much rougher road keeps straight. Stay straight on the older road and after passing a few cellar holes, it dumps you out where you wanna be right at the bridge at the start of Mousley Brook Road. From there it's a .7ish mile, pretty road walk to the car at the Daniel Doan trailhead.

Full album, thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Nice. I'm glad you like the Dan Doan Trail. It has come a long way in the last few years. It also has a long way to go. What it lacks in views, it makes up for in solitude, in my book. I'm glad you found the Baker road extension, too. It makes for some interesting loops. As the Adopter Coordinator for DOC, I'm wondering if there were some chainsaw-sized blowdowns along your route? I head that there were a few on the north side of Smarts, along with a serous need for some bog bridges. From your pants, it looks as though this might be true.:D

Nice. I'm glad you like the Dan Doan Trail. It has come a long way in the last few years. It also has a long way to go. What it lacks in views, it makes up for in solitude, in my book. I'm glad you found the Baker road extension, too. It makes for some interesting loops. As the Adopter Coordinator for DOC, I'm wondering if there were some chainsaw-sized blowdowns along your route? I head that there were a few on the north side of Smarts, along with a serous need for some bog bridges. From your pants, it looks as though this might be true.:D

Jason, thanks for your work on likely, all of these trails. I certainly noticed and appreciated the drainage work on the Daniel Doan. J Trail could use stepping stones and puncheons in many places. I'd say a few stepping stones would solve many of the mud holes. I don't remember any blowdowns that would require a chainsaw, a 10-14" Corona pruning saw could handle the few I passed.

Also, I think it was you who may have replied to my question back in the spring about this loop. So, thank you for that as well for getting the ball rolling.

Super cool photo with the horse. Lots going on there with the color, trees, mountain and clouds. really nice.

Really great photos. Sounds like a fun hike! Definitely looks like there were some muddy spots for sure!

Karl

Thanks for the responses!

Très bien, thumbs up . . . however you want to say it . . . nice report and great photos

Thanks. Keep up the good work with your blog!

Super cool photo with the horse. Lots going on there with the color, trees, mountain and clouds. really nice.

Thank you, that's one of my favs from the trip too.

Really great photos. Sounds like a fun hike! Definitely looks like there were some muddy spots for sure!

Karl

It was pretty sweet, takes more than a little mud to ruin a good time.

Nice hike! We'll keep this one in mind for future reference.

Donna:)

Thanks. Good idea!

Just a reminder that Baker Road can be used for a more modest loop over Mt. Cube by the Cross Rivendell and Kodak trails.

Thanks for mentioning that, Mohammed. Using Jacobs Brook Rd (gated,) Kodak Trail, Cross-Rivendell, and Baker Road would make a great loop over Eastman Ledges and Cube. This would prob be in the 6-7 mile range.

Loop over Smarts, as well with said road, the J Trail, Daniel Doan, along with a little road walk.

And post thru-hiker season, you're likely to have the trails mostly to yourself as I did.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great loop! A few of us hiked Mt. Cube today. We went up the Cross-Rivendell trail but then down the Mt. Cube trail. That Cross-Rivendell trail sparked my interest.............36 mile trail that...... I'm thinking.......has my name written all over it for next summer!! Lots of snow up there now, but a pretty day to be out!

Sounds like a great loop! A few of us hiked Mt. Cube today. We went up the Cross-Rivendell trail but then down the Mt. Cube trail. That Cross-Rivendell trail sparked my interest.............36 mile trail that...... I'm thinking.......has my name written all over it for next summer!! Lots of snow up there now, but a pretty day to be out!

Nice! Mt. Cube trail is the route I took last time I was out there. It's an attractive route, as well. I grabbed the Cross-Rivendell info flyer at the trailhead, cool stuff.

Another trail that seemed enticing was the Clark Pond Loop connecting Smarts and Moose Mountains. I understand it's largely abandoned and growing in. What's going on with this route?? Anyone have the story?

Last edited:
Another trail that seemed enticing was the Clark Pond Loop connecting Smarts and Moose Mountains. I understand it's largely abandoned and growing in. What's going on with this route?? Anyone have the story?

It was discontinued awhile back because much of it crosses private land. I believe there were some landowner issues. I think it was dropped in the neighborhood of 10-15 years ago.

It was discontinued awhile back because much of it crosses private land. I believe there were some landowner issues. I think it was dropped in the neighborhood of 10-15 years ago.

Ahh well, and so it goes. Thanks for the replies.

Ahh well, and so it goes. Thanks for the replies.

I was on Shhhmaats' Mtn a couple weeks ago, and saw the same sign and perked my interest much like it did to you. Shame really...plus the sign is misleading. I was all about wanting to follow the trail in its entirety after seeing it. I may try to hike up to the summit from the Cummins Pond area, and just check things out over the next several months...I'd like to see where it really ends. There are so many different less known trails that get next to no use around here, but are still quite followable if you have a sense of adventure and a sense of direction.

That being said, I def wouldn't just cut across someone's land of course. But it is signs like this that spark my interest.