Smarts Mtn Third Time's a Charm!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
I win! I was finally able to hike to the summit of Smarts Mtn and actually enjoy the wonderful views from the fire tower. Also, the trek along Lambert Ridge is one of the most underrated stretches of the AT in NH, IMO. Let's keep it that way.

It was a very late start, a little after 1pm, but we made relatively decent time heading up Lambert Ridge. Before we knew it, views opened up towards the south and east. I didn't realize the views came up so fast, and along the first section of the open ridge, I wouldn't have minded if that was the end of the hike. The day was perfect temperature wise, and the visibility rivaled a winter's day, especially looking east.
file.jpg

Flowers were everywhere. I'm not a good person with flower ID, but I know there were bunchberrys all over the place, along with an assortment of small, but beautiful flowers. This made the up, and down trip of Lambert Ridge go by quite fast, as did the views. Then we arrived at the first major view of Smarts Mtn, which hit me right in the face. The summit cone is quite large.

file.jpg

After this viewpoint, the trail lost some elevation (bummer) and we walked thru a very nice and shady col which was predominantly spruce and fir. So far, there hadn't been too much in the way of coniferous, so the smell of the fir was a nice change. After the col, we started climbing in earnest up the summit cone. It wasn't overly steep, but definitely steeper than anything we had done thus far. Just prior to 3:30, we arrived at the Range trail junction, and we were ready to make our final push to the summit. The steep trail continued but switched back and forth along the contour lines so that helped make things very manageable.

Around 4:00, we made it to the summit. I had no idea of how tall the tower was, so I was quite surprised when we were below it.

file.jpg

Views were obviously 360, and today was one of those special summer days where the visibility was clearly 80-100 miles. I could see west to VT, and possibly NY, north to Canada, east to Mount Washington and south to MA. I could barely comprehend the extensive views. If the fire tower were a bit more comfortable, I would have stayed up there forever. A few pics...

Mt Washington, and a sneak peak into the Pemi
file.jpg

Mt Moosilauke, Part of Franconia Ridge and a small piece of Mt Clough
file.jpg

Cummins Pond...very interesting
file.jpg

Views into VT were hazy, but still fairly nice
file.jpg

After an extended rest, we set off for the car around 4:45. I was quite surprised with our speed heading back. We really didn't waste any time. Perhaps it was Ranger Trail (which isn't easy, esp near the top part, but it is somewhat easier...). The Ranger Trail doesn't appear to be maintained officially so there were a bunch of blowdowns lying about. It was also pretty rocky in places...random rocks, the worst kind. But we made great time and made it to the car garage around 5:50pm. This was where I had to turn around last time, since the temp was zero and the wind chill was lower, and I didn't have the correct clothes on....

Despite the god awful bugs, and some piles of moose poo, the last leg of the trip went smoothly and we were out by 6:30 or so....making for a 5 hour 20 min hike. This was pretty good timing, esp with the extended breaks on Lambert Ridge and the summit. I want to hike this again in fall when the leaves are changing. And now that I know its actually possible to make it to the top, I think I will! :rolleyes:

Until next time,
grouseking

http://grouseking.phanfare.com/album/324359#imageID=19835192 Pictures

Smart's

Glad you enjoyed the hike. On Saturday I replaced three panes of glass (plexi) on the tower and five in the old Ranger's cabin. Hope they were still in place. I had a devil of a time keeping the east facing pane in place. The wind on Saturday kept pushing the pane back into the tower while the caulking was still fluid. I also put new window screens in two of the five cabin windows. Had to haul out many pounds of abandoned trash out at the end of the day. Two full trash bags tied to my packboard. That always jacks my jaws. Next time you go up use the "J" Trail from Quintown Road. A very mellow walk with no steep ascent at the end like Lamberts. Also, if you park at the last major intersection on Quintown road you can use the recently cleared and blazed (blue) Daniel Doan trail and the "J" trail for a really nice loop hike. The DD trail is the fastest way up to the summit of Smart's. To get to the DD trail, take the road (Mousley Brook) to the right, follow it keeping right until it reaches a closed gate. Park there and walk the road past a private residence and watch for new blue blazes and orange DOC signs.

Hillwalker said:
Glad you enjoyed the hike. On Saturday I replaced three panes of glass (plexi) on the tower and five in the old Ranger's cabin. Hope they were still in place. I had a devil of a time keeping the east facing pane in place. The wind on Saturday kept pushing the pane back into the tower while the caulking was still fluid. I also put new window screens in two of the five cabin windows. Had to haul out many pounds of abandoned trash out at the end of the day. Two full trash bags tied to my packboard. That always jacks my jaws. Next time you go up use the "J" Trail from Quintown Road. A very mellow walk with no steep ascent at the end like Lamberts. Also, if you park at the last major intersection on Quintown road you can use the recently cleared and blazed (blue) Daniel Doan trail and the "J" trail for a really nice loop hike. The DD trail is the fastest way up to the summit of Smart's. To get to the DD trail, take the road (Mousley Brook) to the right, follow it keeping right until it reaches a closed gate. Park there and walk the road past a private residence and watch for new blue blazes and orange DOC signs.

The glass was still there, so no worries. For some reason, I didn't take any pics from inside the tower.

Tell me a little about the Daniel Doan and J trail. I'm also curious about Cummins Pond. It looks like a nice backcountry pond with no development, correct?

Also, is there a door on the cabin? Silly question maybe...but looking at my pics it doesn't look like there is a door.

You did a great job cleaning up, btw. There was no trace of garbage, whatsoever. :)

grouseking

Information on Smart's

grouseking said:
The glass was still there, so no worries. For some reason, I didn't take any pics from inside the tower.

Tell me a little about the Daniel Doan and J trail. I'm also curious about Cummins Pond. It looks like a nice backcountry pond with no development, correct? Not too much to say about the Daniel Doan Trail except it is named after the author of Fifty Hikes in the White Mountains and others. The "J" or Jacobs Brook trail is the AT running north. It crosses a gravel road which is the extension of Quintown road. To park there, just follow Quintown road to the locked gate and park there. The trail crossing is an easy ten minute walk. There is a door on the cabin, with a string to keep it closed, but it is often left open

Also, is there a door on the cabin? Silly question maybe...but looking at my pics it doesn't look like there is a door.

You did a great job cleaning up, btw. There was no trace of garbage, whatsoever. :) Thanks, good to hear.

grouseking

Hillwalker