snow contidions on AT in MA/CT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosty

Reaction score
I'm planning an overnighter this weekend. Would prefer the AT, but want to test out the tent I will be thru-hiking with this year and would like bare ground.

Anyone living in MA/CT area know what the conditions are on the trail now. That's about the furthest I could drive for a weekender.

Also, anyone there who could help with a car shuttle, either Friday night or Sunday. (Prefer Friday night so I'll be walking back TO my vehicle.

Frosty said:
I'm planning an overnighter this weekend. Would prefer the AT, but want to test out the tent I will be thru-hiking with this year and would like bare ground.

Anyone living in MA/CT area know what the conditions are on the trail now. That's about the furthest I could drive for a weekender.

Also, anyone there who could help with a car shuttle, either Friday night or Sunday. (Prefer Friday night so I'll be walking back TO my vehicle.

Haven't been there recently, but check nearby XC area conditions. Windblown is reporting a 10-15 in base. My guess is that you will have to camp on snow or will need to shovel an area clear. It might be worthwhile to choose a site with platforms if you choose to shovel to prevent tenting in a possibly muddy seep.

Doug

conditions AT MA-CT

DougPaul--

Jan 16-18 I hiked the AT NY Taconic Parkway to Bull's Bridge CT with Mark L(see Trail report CT). Conditions were 1-3" snow, bareboot throughout, occasional minor ice. We stayed in lean-to shelters, so tenting was not an issue. I packed a shovel which I never had occasion to use. Since then I've monitored snow reports at Stormville and points north, which seem to suggest that conditions are still about the same along the AT in CT. That's about the best I can do. Have a good hike.
Walt

Call Mt. Washington State Forest

Call the ranger at Mount Washington State Forest, 413 528-0330. The AT goes through the state forest from just before Sage's Ravine to Jug End, over Mt. Race and Mt. Everett. There are a couple of campsites and shelters in the state forest.
I might be interested in the shuttle but not the overnight. Send me a private message with your plans. I might take Friday off, depending on work.

Saw anywhere from 3 to 12 inches last weekend. Yaktrax or instep crampons helpful in steep areas that had been compacted due to travel. IMO, crampons or snowshoes would've been overkill.

After this warm spell, I'd think you'll be seeing a lot more ice, ice crust on the snow, maybe some bare ground here and there.

If the tent is free standing you're all set. If it's not, bring lots of line to string out for anchors. As of last weekend, there wasn't enough loose snow to set snow anchors and the ground was too hard for stakes.

Good luck with your thru-hike. I have an uncle who set his start date as 3/6 for thru-hiking the AT this year.