Snow Fun!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibones

Reaction score
With all this new snow what activity do you pick to do first: snowshoe, bc ski,x-c ski, alpine ski. I picked alpine this morning but now I can't wait to get my x-c skis on for fun in the woods.

Alpine, and working out powder technique...

I had the weight-neutral, closer stance thing down right away, but the subtleties of weighting and steering took an hour. The last couple runs were hysterical fun, and we really didn't want to quit. The kids, however, had our channel on the radios and would allow us no peace!

It's OK -- the wind is picking up now significantly, so the bare skin on my face started to feel like it was being shot-peened. I do wish I had picked up a pair of snowshoes at the ski-and-skate sale -- this would be a perfect day for a walk in the woods.

DrewKnight said:
I had the weight-neutral, closer stance thing down right away, but the subtleties of weighting and steering took an hour. The last couple runs were hysterical fun, and we really didn't want to quit. The kids, however, had our channel on the radios and would allow us no peace!

It's OK -- the wind is picking up now significantly, so the bare skin on my face started to feel like it was being shot-peened. I do wish I had picked up a pair of snowshoes at the ski-and-skate sale -- this would be a perfect day for a walk in the woods.

On a powder day you really need to get out early for alpine before all the snow gets pushed into clumps. After lunch I went up Livermore Road on back country skis -- it was ungroomed and the snow was very deep. Someone else went up on snowshoes.
So on a powder day my choice is alpine first, then snowshoeing or back country skiing.