Snow reports?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackM

Reaction score
Since I'm stuck down in the flatlands, I was hoping folks could check in with snowpack reports from the Whites and the Greens. Any reports from Moosliauke, Cardigan, Presidentials, Northern VT? How much snow is on the ground up there?

I was on Pico Saturday (not quite northern VT.) and there was about 2 inches on top and none at the start. Looks like maybe a little more on the way?

I was working at Dartmouth all day and eyed Moosilauke on both the trip down and back to Franconia. It's also pure white on top, the deepest white on the above-treeline areas. Kinsmans are frosted on top too. Cold temps last night, about 10*F at 1200', preserved the snow. It has already moderated here to the upper 20s.

Last edited:
A site devoted to snowfall, snow depth, etc. surfaced on VFTT last year:
www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/snow.shtml
Look for the category "snow depth map."
It's not too helpful this time of the year, as disparate snow depths at elevation are not given...
But as winter cranks up, you get a good idea where the snow is piling up in the Northeast.
You'll note that the area of the Jays in Vt. usually leads the way.

Thanks, bigmoose, interesting site. The overall depth amount is probably most useful; daily snowfall is not precisely accurate for my region. Yes, Jay always seems to be out there in front. But it's Killington that opens first usually, and that doesn't show on any of the maps. I think they were going to try to open on Nov. 8. Artificial snow?

bigmoose,that's a great website. Just checked the section marked"storm total snowfall from significant events" and it's showing 12/5/2003-12/8/2003. It gave me a flashback to that storm. We woke up Sunday morning,12/7 on North Hancock summit-in the 24+ category :eek:

Snow in VT

Mt. Ellen last Sunday pm just a bit of slushy stuff on top, since then nothing much and can't imagine much more on Camel's Hump or even Mansfield, though gaitors may be handy. Jay area may be different, don't know... -John

Snowfall amounta

I was on Mt. Monadnock in Vermont, not the NH one on Tuesday and there was about five inches up at the top. The Pressies are snow covered. :eek:

On Garfield Ridge to Galehead summit, there was about 8-12" of snow last Saturday.

Driving today, I saw snow on the summit of Moosilauke, Cannon Cliffs, Lafayette, Lincoln, and Flume slide.

Speaking of the Presidentials, along with the Mt Washington Observatory, this is a site that I like to use to get a gage on conditions. Gray Knob
The caretaker at Gray Knob (4370') on Mt Adams records snowfall amounts and conditions and publishes them every Thursday. As of yesterday, they have 6 inches with extremely slippery trails and recommend crampons.

Should be a fun one tomorrow...

My catskill trip was cancelled for tomorrow by the leader because of possible problems due to driving.. real bummer.. we might go out somewhere near Harriman ny called Schunenk mtn( spelling ?)

Rick said:
I was on Wachusett around 10PM last night 3 inches then. We got a few more inches late last night-early this morning.
I am going to say there is a good 5 inches now. I am going to ski the road later today.

I got out Saturday after the roads improved and skiid the auto road. Lots of characters were brought out by the snow. I saw one guy on skinny skis in baggy wool knickers, wool sweater, wool hat -- the retro look! Lots of kids building snowboard ramps on the slopes. Conditions were surprisingly good, although the places in the sun were sticky. Things thinned out by the time I started down and I had to avoid some bare pavement. I decided to take my Outtabounds/Excursions. I ws getting passed by everyone on the way up. Not surprising, they're definitly not optimized for kick and glide. On the descent, they made the difference. After a few tries, I managed to make my first honest tele turns. What a difference over skinny skis/SNS bindings/liight XC boots! Think I'll have this tele thing thoroughly nailed by the end of the season.....

bigmoose said:
A site devoted to snowfall, snow depth, etc. surfaced on VFTT last year:
www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/snow.shtml
Look for the category "snow depth map."
It's not too helpful this time of the year, as disparate snow depths at elevation are not given...
But as winter cranks up, you get a good idea where the snow is piling up in the Northeast.
You'll note that the area of the Jays in Vt. usually leads the way.

Interesting site, thanks for sharing!

I'm glad people are starting to look at the site..I suggested it to Darren a while back. I provide data for the site when the snow starts to pile up, actually taking the snowcore measurements in Essex, Warren and Hamilton counties, in NY.
(Somebody's gotta do it, getting paid to snowshoe.... :D )

As most have found out, there are links to other useful data as well....enjoy!