Snow!!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You 'n' me both, SK! New data (1AM model runs) suggest that NH/VT/ME will really get hammered... unfortunately that means more sleet/rain/glop for us in MA but it's about time for the North Country. If it's snowing here tomorrow AM when we get up rather than raining, though, look out!

Bring it on indeed! For me that will mean a snow day = no school :) and I get to play!! It will also be perfect for this weekends Winter Carnival in Saranac Lake. Are there any other Carnival goer's out there? This will be our (ADacKr and I) 5th year! Party time in the snow!

Sara said:
Bring it on indeed! For me that will mean a snow day = no school :) and I get to play!! It will also be perfect for this weekends Winter Carnival in Saranac Lake. Are there any other Carnival goer's out there? This will be our (ADacKr and I) 5th year! Party time in the snow!

oh yeah!!!!

It’s a good thing that I have a Popeil Matter Transporter, otherwise I might have to “commute” to the mountains like everyone else. ;)

Bring it on indeed!!!

Calling for 12" - 20" here in North Central MA. Hubbardston (on the west side of Mt Wachusett) seems to have it's own little weather pattern cuz of the mountain so we always always seem to get the higher end of the estimated range... I'm PSYCHED !!! Get to try out the new snowshoes..

Capt. Jim

Just back from Carnaval du Quebec! Le fete d'neige! Canots de glace! Caribou Liqueur! But there's no snow(by their standards) in Quebec! :eek:
First time in four years we've ever actually seen pavement.
Still an awesome time-and it goes on next weekend too!
www.carnaval.qc.ca/english/index_corpo.asp
Check it out!

Last edited:
Damn!!! And I was unfortunate enough to put in for next Monday off, and with Berkshire East right in the path of the hammering too! And with a "Bring a can of Coke, ski for $15" day happening as well. Damn the bad luck. And Wachusett getting hit with all that blasted snow in time for weekend backcountry, WTF?!? And next Friday off and Wildcat just sitting up there, waiting. I can't take it, this BLOWS!

Hurray...... I think......

Simple request:

Can a group of hikers (together or independently) please make the trek into the king ravine this weekend and early next week?....... reason being that I don't want to have to haul in my snow shoes the weekend of the 18'th.

Having a dozen or so people pack down the trail after all this fresh snow we're going to get, would be immensly appreciated!

thanks,

the wall........

Southern whites calling for 20-30"

then up to 12-18" elsewhere!

YEEEE HAWWWWW!

If you're headed into the White Mountains, this is a weekend to check the USFS WMNF Avalanche Bulletin as you're making plans and then again immediately before heading out. It's posted at the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center as well as online and is updated each morning.

(Old icy base) + (loads of new snow that may not bond well to it) + (wind to deposit the new stuff in slabs) = potential for some serious avalanche hazard.

Remember also that you don't have to trigger the slide that gets you. It can just as easily be a nimrod on the slope above you who has ignored the hazard.

OK...I am seeing slightly less totals than earlier predicted today. :mad: Me and carter have wanted to ski greylock REALLY badly this winter. Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not this might be possible? Anyone been up there recently and seen the snow cover? Will this new storm put down enough snow to make it a doable trip? Thanks in advance.

Non

Twigeater, nice pics! But the ones of Montmorency falls are somewhat creepy: is it a dead fallen ice climber we can see lying on the snow? :eek: :D

I'll be in Quebec city next weekend, bring on the carnival :)

CaptainJim said:
Calling for 12" - 20" here in North Central MA. Hubbardston (on the west side of Mt Wachusett) seems to have it's own little weather pattern cuz of the mountain so we always always seem to get the higher end of the estimated range... I'm PSYCHED !!! Get to try out the new snowshoes..

Capt. Jim

It's great to be in that "...more snow North and West of the city" belt.

May I just add, 'wahoo'?

NWS Warnings for Gorham and surrounding area

I liked this report, from the National Weather Service:

EXPECT TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 12 TO 24 INCHES THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT WITH ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS LIKELY ON FRIDAY.

STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO AND OTHER LOCAL MEDIA FOR FURTHER DETAILS OR UPDATES.

ANY TRAVEL IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED. IF YOU LEAVE THE SAFETY OF BEING INDOORS, YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR LIFE AT RISK.

Disappointment

So far, we've gotten totally stiffed here in NY's Hudson Valley. Just a little rain, and we might get an inch or two of snow, if we're lucky. I doubt the Catskills fared much better. At this point I'm becoming sort of resigned to accepting whatever weather we get. Hiking's still a blast, whether w/ or w/o snowshoes. Still...

Matt