Snowblindness And Goggle/Sunglass Lenses

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
As we all know, extremely bright light (such as on those bluebird days on snow) can at a minimum hurts the eyes and in many cases can damage the eyes. I'm in the process of updating my goggles and sunglasses and I have a question: Will clear lenses prevent snow blindness provided they have UVA/UVB/UVC/bluelight protection in the lens (which many do)? I'm not a big fan of screwing around with different lenses and many of the "all around lenses" distort objects or make things dimmer than they would need to be. I prefer the unaltered view of what I am looking at, particularly when overcast.

Does anyone know if you need to actually reduce the percentage of light reaching the eyes to prevent damage or if the UV protection is all you need? And does anyone know if there is such a thing as a clear lens that has a polarized finish to reduce glare? I've been looking for such a thing on many websites this afternoon but haven't come across a clear, polarized lens. If anyone knows of a manufacturer offering this let me know. Thanks.

Probably should have waited 5 more minutes to post this. Found an answer to my question and I couldn't figure out how to delete my thread. Sorry! If anyone has any info on a brand with clear, polarized lenses that would still be helpful. Thanks.

Yes even with uva/uvb protection the eye becomes fatigued from the glair off snow.You dont end up with a sun bern unlike on the inside of your noise or roof of your mouth if your not to careful. Trying to dubble sun glasses under goggles seams to fog up and is simply uncomfortable. I do a fair amount of mountaineering at night, so i require clear lenses however if i know ill be pushing threw past lunch i buck up and bring a second pair. Also if you get rambunctious and overheat resulting in foging up your goggles you have a back up.

Snowblindness (sunburn of the cornea) is caused by excessive UV exposure. Glare fatigue is caused by too much visible light.

Different wavelengths and different methods of prevention (although both are usually combined in protective glasses and goggles).

Serious snowblindness is not generally a big risk in the NE (although it can occur from a day on sand, water, or snow)--it is more of an issue at high altitudes.

BTW, you can also get sunburn in your nostrils, ears, and on the roof of your mouth--the reflected UV comes up from below. (Put sunblock in your nose and ears and don't breathe through your mouth.) UV also bleaches your teeth...

Doug