Snowmagedon Reports 1_12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats too bad. Had about 6-8 inches of fresh powder and bright sunshine up on the Osseo trail Sunday..but it was very odd. In spite of excellent skiing conditions there were at most 6-8 cars parked in Lincoln Woods, none except mine at 9AM Sunday

Timing is everything..keep the reports coming when there is a significant event.

Don't know if this FYI helps anyone BUT...The thing that's become clear to me, that might not be if you aren't there often, is how area specific the snowfall is. You basically need to be prepared for anything now, from mud to ice to deep snow.

yep. Skied and toured in 10 inches of powder on Saturday morning in Pinkham Notch area and the next day around Moose Pond in Maine had 3 inches of powder on top of nasty breakable crust and rocks peeking out of the trail.

Another day another odd storm. As of 11 AM 11/27 Gorham got about 2" of snow during the night and it has been sleeting/raining since then. I dont see heavy build up on the trees but expect there are icing issues some elsewhere in the region and the winds are cranking up making for potential ice storm conditions.

Starting to get flashbacks to the ice storm of 98 :eek:. I really dont need an excuse to cut down any more trees as many of mine on my property are still showing the scars of 98.

If the temp drops low enough overnight, its going to be an "interesting crust" Sat AM. There was some hope in Maine that this might stay as snow but as far as my area, it switched over too quickly.

Sunday River is claiming 8" of new snow, now changed over to mixed precip. Mt Abram which is 10 miles from SR is claiming 6".

Better than my house, just a dusting and raining hard.

2/1/12, back to spring conditions. I had gotten 5 to 6 Inches of powder snow last evening. So this afternoon its raining and 50 degrees in gorham. I guess it may freeze up at some point but I dont see any great opportunities for fresh snow. Not a great year for stream crossings.

2/1/12, back to spring conditions. I had gotten 5 to 6 Inches of powder snow last evening. So this afternoon its raining and 50 degrees in gorham. I guess it may freeze up at some point but I dont see any great opportunities for fresh snow. Not a great year for stream crossings.

This is fixing to be the first winter since my childhood in which I probably won't be walking on water at least once. That dates back to when television appearances by the candidates played an insignificant role in presidential elections. (Yes, there was such a time once in America ......)

This is fixing to be the first winter since my childhood in which I probably won't be walking on water at least once. That dates back to when television appearances by the candidates played an insignificant role in presidential elections. (Yes, there was such a time once in America ......)

Actually got to walk over a beaver pond in Salem CT on a Cub Scout hike on 1/22. Since then it's warmed up so there is no real ice in this area & the crocuses (sp?) are beginning to come up in Hartford.

Spoke with a guy who spent time in the past two weeks in the area of Greylock (Savoy State Forest I believe or is that just Savoy MA) and in the woods, there is about a foot.

Gien its a holiday week, I expect the forecasts for firday are influenced by ski NH. ;)

Looks like central and northern Vermont won this storm. 18-30" along the mountaintops from Killington to Jay. Totals here.

Jay Peak's reporting anywhere from 34-40" since Thursday. Wowzer. That area does get magic weather.

From today's 5 PM forecast discussion (text changed to mixed case and abbreviations expanded ... idle hands ;)):
Both NAM/GFS models show a signficant warm air advection overunning snow event for the forecast area Wed. night and Thurs. Both models show a rather strong upper trough that approaches from the Great Lakes and then moves through central New England Thurs. ... Both boundary layer and temps aloft will be plenty cold enough for snow and both models indicate QPF totals of over 1 inch of water equivalent.
Added to the weekend's snow this should give us really good cover for some time :D