Snowmobilers on Carriage Road?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Just read a post by TJsName about a trip on Carriage Road, no mention of snowmobiles.

Did you see any?

Posting rather than sending you a PM so that we can all see your reply ;)

You know, I almost commented on that. I didn't see any, or any signs that they had been through since the last snowfall. I did see ATV tracks near the parking lot, but not past the 1st bridge. The guidebook said it was commonly used by snowmobiles, so I was on the lookout but it was nice and quiet all day. :)

Just read a post by TJsName about a trip on Carriage Road, no mention of snowmobiles.

Did you see any?

Posting rather than sending you a PM so that we can all see your reply ;)

Last edited:
Since the Carriage Rd is not groomed and a dead end for snowmobilers (at the boulders) I don't think it is a popular as it used to be for travel. There are much nicer places to ride.

Until very recently the Carriage Road was very popular for snowmobilers. I don't know if things have slacked off recently. The reworking of the Carriage road in the 1990's was done in conjunction with a grant for multi-use trails and we worked with the Asquamchumaukee Snowmobile Club on the work. There is a snowmobile turnaround about .2 mile before the AT junction since they aren't allowed on the AT corridor, but it's been a long time since I've been up there without at least a few sleds going by. It would be interesting if the snowmobiling club had any info on usage.

I just remembered that we had this very same conversation two years ago: Moosilauke Carriage Road -- an underrated winter approach.

Snowmobilers change their favorite rides from year to year. There are years when lots of groups start at the beginning on Tripoli Road (lots of space to park at the lower gate); in other years they almost all come to Tripoli Road from Russell Pond and the trails that lead to it.

There is a post in the middle of the bridge entrance that I'm not sure a snowmobile could actually make it around - I think they could but maybe it is to stop them, as well as other motorized vehicles. Either way it was a really nice winter route, and I think would be really nice in late winter during big snow years, since you can summit without having a ton of branches in your face.

There is a post in the middle of the bridge entrance that I'm not sure a snowmobile could actually make it around - I think they could but maybe it is to stop them, as well as other motorized vehicles.
They should be able to make it around that. I suspect that is a block for cars/trucks in the summer. The only physical block for the snowmobiles is the rock barricade about 1000' below the Glencliff trail junction - and even that gets snowed in most years so it's an ineffective barrier.

Last edited: