snowshoes and boots?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystaljc

Reaction score
I just got a pair of snowshoes for xmas but I was wondering, am I supposed to get a specific or special pair of boots or can I just wear my winter boots with them? I have never had a pair before or even tried a pair on so I have no idea. Thanks in advance.

what kinda 'shoes ya get? most all snowshoe bindings'll fit any boot you want to wear. just make sure they're warm. that is, wear your regular winter hiking boots and you'll be fine. no need to buy new ones!! :)

Here's a recent thread on these snowshoes. I'm sure they'll be fine.

As Bruno said, any boot that fits comfortably and securely in the bindings and keeps your feet warm will be fine. That probably means any winter hiking boot. Just go and enjoy. :)

-dave-

As noted, most any boot will be fine with snowshoes if it will fit the binding. However, I offer one caution - if you wear a soft pac-type boot, and the binding has a strap that goes around the back of your heel over a soft portion of the boot, it can create a "hot spot" and lead to blisters.

AMF said:
As noted, most any boot will be fine with snowshoes if it will fit the binding. However, I offer one caution - if you wear a soft pac-type boot, and the binding has a strap that goes around the back of your heel over a soft portion of the boot, it can create a "hot spot" and lead to blisters.

yes. this is definitely the credited response. i have been recovering for a week from a terrible blister on the back of my heel because of a strap on my snowshoe. My snowshoes look like this though http://www.gearreview.com/images/snowshoes/atlas/summit1233.jpg and I was wearing a very compromised pair of Columbia boots. A bad combination for a 12 mi day-hike