Snowshoes for skiing :)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, let me say this forum has been a great source of knowledge for BC Nordic skiing in the east - threads from here have come up on my many searches and I've referred to Dave's page since the beginning. In fact I still do and try to scour eBay and CL for models of skis and boots on his list that I may be able to snap up cheap.

I only have the skinny skis now but they were the natural progression to start skiing in the woods. I can still take them to a ski center, like BREIA, which almost always has snow during winter, and fit in the tracks.

I've only skied in the western Adirondacks to date, but I plan on making more tours, and more adventurous tours in the future. That area is the closest to me and has the most reliable snow. There are a lot of tours I'd like to do in the east central region as well as the high peaks - maybe some day I'll even get out to NE. Maybe some of those will have me wanting different skis or skins, I don't know yet? Seems to me SS could get me out of any jam, but carrying, and trying skins might be a good idea. I know all about the SS trench, and so far have been lucky enough to be able to ski down them like a bobsled run - if the terrain were steep enough though, I don't think I'd prefer that.

At any rate, I don't see myself going back to lift-served skiing except maybe to practice tele turns in a controlled environment or when there's no natural snow.

Skiing in the woods is just way too much fun, and there's just way too many places to ski. It's going to be a long summer!

Last edited:
Seems to me SS could get me out of any jam, but carrying, and trying skins might be a good idea.
As you develop the right skills, and have the right gear, you'll find very few situations where you are in a jam that you can't handle on skis.

Another trip where skinny skis + skins is a winning combination is the Hitchcock loop, which starts on the Hancock trail, then heads up and over the height of land on the Cedar Brook trail before dropping down into the East Branch drainage on an old logging rail bed. It's definitely a skinny ski tour but skins are real helpful climbing up the steep bits of Cedar Brook.
I didn't have skins on my first time--some of the climbs were quite a struggle. Much easier on skins...

Come to think of it (sorry to mention the loop that bit Doug) the Flume/Livermore Rd loop is a trip I carry skins for my skinny skis. The climb up the head wall section of the Flume trail may or may not be climbable on wax alone, depending.
No problem--it was the Kanc Brook/Livermore Rd loop*. :) I have climbed Kanc Brook Tr on waxes, but skins have often been a better choice for me.

* The accident actually occurred on a part of Livermore Rd shared by both routes, not far from the junction with Flume Brook Tr. However KB/LR is still one of my favorite ski routes. We will see what it is like when Greely Ponds Tr finally gets repaired.

Doug

As you develop the right skills, and have the right gear, you'll find very few situations where you are in a jam that you can't handle on skis.

I'm still trying to find the best approach for handling stream crossings on skis. I always take them off, but perhaps their is a better way?

Something to consider: if you use snowshoes to get out of a jam, how will you carry your skis?

Last edited:
I'm still trying to find the best approach for handling stream crossings on skis. I always take them off, but perhaps their is a better way?

Side step if you can. Improvise if you can't! :)

Something to consider: if you use snowshoes to get out of a jam, how will you carry your skis?

I suppose I would just lash them on my pack. My current skis are very light, but long and cumbersome, so it's probably not something I'd want to go a great distance with.

I'd do the same with crampons if I encountered an ice ledge or chute - I don't know that many traditional ski tours have those... so I may be over thinking it.

Depends on the situation (don't forget to search for a better spot if needed...):
* Just ski across if well bridged
* sidestep
* Bareboot across rocks
* Barefoot if you must.

In general, the best technique or combination of techniques will be obvious.

Doug

I suppose I would just lash them on my pack. My current skis are very light, but long and cumbersome, so it's probably not something I'd want to go a great distance with.

You can carry them in your hands for short distances or slide them under the shrinking straps on the sides of your pack. If you wish, you can tie the shovels together with a strap.

Carrying 200 cm skis A-frame style (what DougPaul describes) could be impossible on many stretches of forested trail. There's no way to keep the skis out of the tree branches above. Hand carrying skis may or may not be easier, but I find if the distance is short enough for this to be practical, there's almost always a solution that doesn't require snowshoes.

For above treeline travel, I regularly strap my skis onto my pack. An A-frame carry works great then.

My skis are 165, so an A frame usually works with occasional ducking. Watch the A frame above treeline if its windy. Skis are a pretty good sail; I have been knocked off my feet once or twice.

I've considered if a "drag bag" (a long skinny slippery bag with a tapered tip leading to a drag rope) would be a useful innovation for transporting skis in tight woods or less maintained trails...have yet to make one and try it, but I think it might be useful.

Three pin bindings have the advantage that one can pick the skis up by the bail and carry both skis in one hand. (Only do this if you have sturdy bindings, eg Rottefella Super Tele. Flimsy bails might pull off.) Generally good for short carries--your fingers might get cold for long ones.

A big part of the problem is that you have 4 (or 2) long skinny objects (with sharp edges) that want to go in 4 (or 2) different directions. Anything that converts them into 1 bundle (with protected edges) helps.

I have a ski carrying strap--a 3-4 ft strap with velcro-closed loops at both ends. Put the skis and poles in the loops (one toward the front of the ski and one toward the back) and sling the center of the strap over your shoulder. Rolls up into a ~1.5 inch ball when not in use. Good for intermediate carries. http://www.rei.com/product/758363/rei-ski-carrier You could improvise one with buckle straps or rope (or just use 2 straps to convert everything into one controllable package).

The bottom line is that there are a number of ways to carry one's skis. Just choose whichever fits the situation the best.

Doug

I was snowshoeing in Yosemite a few years ago with a guy wearing Northern Lites. For areas like we were in, relatively flat terrain up around Badger Pass, they seemed to be fine. We weren't doing any hill climbing, so don't know how they fare for that. He was carrying a fairly small pack too, so that may have helped.