Snowshoes redux

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennis

Reaction score
Have just learned of snowshoe company called NorthernLites. Website looks interesting, yet is full of hype like any other dealers'. Has anyone out there bought, used, trashed this brand?

Dennis, my brother is a dealer for Northern Lites and uses them exclusively on our High Peak adventures. His most used model is the Elite which is scary light. The binding is the simplest and they have decent crampons. He is an elite level athlete and only uses high performance lightweight gear. A friend of ours has a pair of the Backcountry model and they are only slightly heavier but wider and longer. He is also a lightweight gear freak. They have had no failures with them and they have a lot of miles on them.

I have a friend that owns a pair. They are very light, the binding is simple, the crampons are OK, and most important no failures. I'm hope to get a pair soon to compliment my Atlas snowshoes. They are a dream to snowshoe with, it is like they are not even there. The Vermont Sports newpaper rated them highly after using them for a winter here in Vermont, NH Whites, and Adk.

Thanks for your positive feedback. It's interesting when I visit the websites of snowshoe manufacturers. Each provide some information on their products, but all do not give full details. For example, Sherpa doesn't list the weight of their shoes, and Northerlites doesn't give any details about their crampons or the material of which the frame is constructed. Right now I own a pair of Tubbs Discoverers (?), and am tired of sloughing around in an extra 6 lbs of shoe, but the name brand is reliable. Maybe now, though, I'll switch to NortherLites as I try to snowshoe the Catamount Trail from end to end.

JimB, can I shop through your brother? Rather give a deal to another hiker's family rather than shop direct from the manufacturer.

JimB, thanks for the info. Know I can speak with a dealer who has a knowledge of the product, and can answer some questions. Have a Happy New Year!

I've been confused with the Northern Lites and am not sure it is the same brand that have been showing up in the stores around here. I have seen some moderately priced snowshoes with that name, or very similar, with a better toe angle than some of the other brands. when I asked about the low price I was told they were an Asian import with a 2 yr warranty. Is this the same shoe?? I have been holding off purchasing any more of the metal style shoes for awhile but this has caught my interest..often on the larger shoes (10x 36) of other brands the toe angle is so sharp as to hit you on the shin on the steep inclines. It works out ok on the downhills or crusty snow but offers no real extra flotation than a 9 x 30 shoe.
As I wear a variety of shoes and am a non competitor I seldom worry about the weight of a shoe but certainly about it's endurance. If I find myself too fatigued when I shoe I simply exercise more for future outings.
Someday,while hiking I will mix and match the different brands just for the comic relief if nothing else...yup winters do get a bit long sometimes.......

Northern Guide Snowshoe Co

....and now to answer my own question......

It is the Northern Guide Series ...a green colored snowshoe that left me confused with the Northern Lites brand.

Is anybody familar with the Northern Guide Snowshoe Co ??

I see them up at Kittery Trading Post (Maine)
the Guide series offer a Rangley 10x36 and
a Caribou 9x30 (as well as others.)
I would wonder if Northern Guide is trying to capitalize on Northern Lites good reputation.
and of course I wonder if the Guide Series is a good shoe...the prices seem reasonable.

Any info out there ??.. I tried google to no avail.
thanks...spider

Ultralight snowshoes

A friend has the ultralights an duses them on winter 4000 footers. After completing the NH 400 footers with conventional metal framed snowshoes, he switched to the Northern Lites, comment is something like "I notice they are much lighter and easier to carry but the crampon is (compared to Sherpa Tucker) worthless; on the whole the lower weight outweighs the poor crampon."

A few years ago, no snowshoes has worthwhile crampons and the hardmen would use nuts and bolts to attach instep crampons to their wooden framed shoes. I'll bet you could do the same with the ultralights.

crampons

I picked up a pair of the 25 inch Northern Lites last week to use at the Gathering and climbed Algonquin and Iroquois with them. I weigh about 220 lbs with all of my winter gear and usually use 30 inch Redfeathers. The crampons on the NL's seemed to hook up pretty well. Also the deck is attached by resin rings that have teeth that act as additional traction devices all around the frame. The bushwack from Algonquin to Iroquois had me a little nervous at first, but I had no problems that weren't common to everyone including a pair of 36 inchers. The 37 ounce total weight made my legs much fresher after the long climb. The only negative comment I would make is the binding has a very lightweight fabric material for a base and seems flimsy when you go to put on the shoes. After they are on it is of no effect at all. They have a very secure feel. The price was also reasonable for the level of performance that they gave.