Soft Shell - Recommendation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alistair

Reaction score
I want to buy a soft shell jacket for this upcoming winter hiking season. Is there a good ss jacket for under $150, and what is it?

I know I have said this a lot before - and no, I do not work for Marmot - I pay for all of my stuff! I love my Marmot Precip - this is considered high end rain gear, not really a shell. But, I like it so much, and I bought it big that I use it as a shell pretty much 12 months per year - it cuts the wind, it repels water - it works and it is tough. I cannot fathom wearing my heavier REI Element Gore Tex type jacket - weighs too much and is too bulky. The Precip with other layers (DriClime windshirt, which I just got - thanks guys :) ), or fleece, or multiple coolmax layers does great. My Primaloft winter parka with attached hood also fits under my Precip...this works for me - I love it.

i have gotten much enjoyment out of the mountain hardwear synchro jacket. i believe they advertise it as "waterproof" which in all but the hardest of rains it has been for me. great in cool wet conditions. also have a north face one (forget the model) which has a warmer lining and is great for dryer winter days. i think mh dropped the price of the synchro to around $150 or so. used to list at $200. got mine (a year before model) off a discount rack for $99.

bryan

sapblatt said:
I know I have said this a lot before - and no, I do not work for Marmot - I pay for all of my stuff! I love my Marmot Precip - this is considered high end rain gear, not really a shell. But, I like it so much, and I bought it big that I use it as a shell pretty much 12 months per year - it cuts the wind, it repels water - it works and it is tough. I cannot fathom wearing my heavier REI Element Gore Tex type jacket - weighs too much and is too bulky. The Precip with other layers (DriClime windshirt, which I just got - thanks guys :) ), or fleece, or multiple coolmax layers does great. My Primaloft winter parka with attached hood also fits under my Precip...this works for me - I love it.

I have a Precip jacket, the problem is that it does not breathe. After a few hours hiking I am soaked in sweat.

bryan said:
i have gotten much enjoyment out of the mountain hardwear synchro jacket. i believe they advertise it as "waterproof" which in all but the hardest of rains it has been for me. great in cool wet conditions. also have a north face one (forget the model) which has a warmer lining and is great for dryer winter days. i think mh dropped the price of the synchro to around $150 or so. used to list at $200. got mine (a year before model) off a discount rack for $99.

bryan

The hooded Synchro is one of the jackets I was considering. I have heard of people wearing this on winter hikes without any baselayer (next to the skin).

alistair said:
I have a Precip jacket, the problem is that it does not breathe. After a few hours hiking I am soaked in sweat.

does yours have the armpit vents? If it is warm, say over 50 and I am wearing it I usually have them unzipped - it makes a big difference - also, if it is at all moderate out I do not zip the entire way...

sapblatt said:
does yours have the armpit vents? If it is warm, say over 50 and I am wearing it I usually have them unzipped - it makes a big difference - also, if it is at all moderate out I do not zip the entire way...

Looking for winter jacket, hopefully temp is well below 50.

I think softshell jackets are great for winter use, much much more comfortable then goretex or a hardshell like a precip (I still carry my precip for emergencies and the hood and for going above treeline, to wear over the softshell).

I think schoeller dryskin is an excellent all around choice, maybe better for pants, and schoeller wb400 is the perfect winter softshell material. Softshell is a concept not a material, and so lots of jackets and materials are marketed as "softshells" when they are not really, and their performance will be all over the map. So I would look for something made with schoeller dryskin or wb400, since then you at least know that you are getting true, classic, softshell performance.

I like beyondfleece, so for just a bit more than 150 you could get a jacket custom made for you. Proper fit is very important for a softshell, so I think this is the best way to go. I have the cold fushion jacket.

Climbhigh's outlet offers mammut softshells, including this one for under 150 made out of wb400:

http://www.climbhighoutlet.com/view...[basketHashValue]=f54c67015b&cHash=2a9a19ab9f

michaelb said:
I think softshell jackets are great for winter use, much much more comfortable then goretex or a hardshell like a precip (I still carry my precip for emergencies and the hood and for going above treeline, to wear over the softshell).

I think schoeller dryskin is an excellent all around choice, maybe better for pants, and schoeller wb400 is the perfect winter softshell material. Softshell is a concept not a material, and so lots of jackets and materials are marketed as "softshells" when they are not really, and their performance will be all over the map. So I would look for something made with schoeller dryskin or wb400, since then you at least know that you are getting true, classic, softshell performance.

I like beyondfleece, so for just a bit more than 150 you could get a jacket custom made for you. Proper fit is very important for a softshell, so I think this is the best way to go. I have the cold fushion jacket.

Climbhigh's outlet offers mammut softshells, including this one for under 150 made out of wb400:

http://www.climbhighoutlet.com/view...[basketHashValue]=f54c67015b&cHash=2a9a19ab9f
Ditto and Ditto. I recently spent ALOT of time researching and searching sales and bought the Mammut linked to above. Lemongrass :eek: but it's more yellow, which is fine. Price here is great. Schoeller way to go. If you decide against this jacket, I'd be interested in knowing why. I think it's perfect.
http://www.climbhighoutlet.com/view...4&tx_commerce_pi1[catUid]=64&cHash=deace43986

alistair said:
I Is there a good ss jacket

those are made in 1939 germany and likely will get you some stares on the trail.

My number 1 SS is loki myth (google lokiusa) but last year, I picked up a LL bean one for like 30 bucks - late season, outlet - I love it as well, but its not a warm as my loki. I use it for 10 to 20 degrees - I am not sure how effective it would be in 70 mph winds on a pressie with below zero temps, but then again it sucks to climb in those conditions anyway - go to the bar instead.

They were no more than 150 brand new. I think it is made nearly as good (but not as good), as TNF, MH, marmot, etc..

but not nearly as good as arcterx, mammut, etc.. (creme de le creme)

alistair said:
Looking for winter jacket, hopefully temp is well below 50.
For a well-rated softshell, check out the REI Taku jacket or their One Jacket . I think the Taku has a hood and it's also waterproof. Their Mistral line is also good - it's a lighter weight fabric. I have a jacket from MEC, from their Ferrata line which is similar to the Mistral. Good for spring or fall in the WMNF, not warm enough for winter.

I have a schoeller jacket that I bought at EMS several years ago. No hood, a basic front zip jacket. I love it. Its one of my best outdoor gear purchases. I usually layer it with a long sleeve techwick base layer and stay warm and comfortable. May put on an outer wind/water proof layer if its really cold wet or windy. I lucked out with my purchase. It was on the last seasons rack at 50% and I hit the EMS 20 % off day so I got it really cheap.