Solo hiking a badge of honor?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hike solo almost all the time, rarely is it ever "alone" until you get into the shoulder seasons and winter and even then, depends on the route. Case in point, I hiked Liberty and Franconia Ridge on Friday by myself but that sure as hell wasn't solo/alone.

I do like the solitude of hiking solo (riding my bike solo too) b/c it gives space for the mind to wander and your speed is your speed, no waiting up or catching up. It's nice to backpack with people for the social camp aspect when you get there but a lot of my former partners on into the replaced hips/knees phase (The Whites are not kind to your joints). But then again, the solitude of spending a night out on your own is a beautiful thing.

If there's such a thing as a badge of honor, it's when I felt competent enough with my skills to solo winter overnights. That is usually truly solo, especially if I go up midweek.
I am a loner, I understand the need to walk alone. I have hiked long enough to know what I need to bring no matter what season if I insist on being by myself. I greatly enjoy the peace and quiet of nature. There may be others passing me in either direction on the trail, but then they’re gone, and I am alone with my thoughts and nature once again.

I have soloed in CA, CO and of course NH. Pretty much solo most of my hiking life, 99% and the last 12 years with a dog. One of my few rules, I never hiked or will hike in Grizzly country. Nope not happening, could I do it if I prepared? yes, would I enjoy it? Hell no. While I cannot predict how I will leave this wonderful life, I can assure you this, I've taken eaten by a bear off the table.
Yeah, I understand. While I have done a little hiking alone in WY, AK as well as BC and AB, I have always been a little nervous those times. There are a few places in the Canadian NP system (Banff, Yoho, etc) where you must be in a group of at least 5 to go hiking. At least in the US you can carry additional "equipment" for protection.

That's how I feel about Florida and alligators.
You are both more likely do die from a lightning strike. Of course the odds of that are a lot less then dying in your car on the way to/from your hike.

The majority of my hiking is solo. I like going at my own pace and changing that up if I'm feeling energetic or sluggish. I also like to take photos and explore, so I don't have to worry about bothering someone else with that when I'm solo. It's also a great environment for introspection and mental house cleaning.
As others have said, I typically see others out on the trails so I guess it's not truly "solo". The only true solo hikes I have had are night/sunrise hikes where I have lucked out and been the only one on the trail - having a busy summit all to yourself in the morning twilight while you wait for the sun is really something special.

I hike solo much of the time, primarily because I'm coming from out of state and try to gorge myself on mountains when I'm there, opting for early and long routes, or this and that. I find it much easier to operate solo in that regard then deal with the planning involved in hiking with others. Not to mention that we hike at different speeds.

My backpacking trips are generally where I hike with friends, especially in the winter when trips to the backcountry bring greater risk and require more experience.

I think you're probably reading too much into most social media posts that emphasize solo hiking. Mentioning you did it solo or did it with buddies adds color to the post, though I'm sure for some it a big achievement to do something on your own as you mentioned.
I second that. Coming up from RI very early and hiking mid week because my work schedule allows for it usually cuts out a lot of people for day trips.

The majority of my hiking is solo. I like going at my own pace and changing that up if I'm feeling energetic or sluggish. I also like to take photos and explore, so I don't have to worry about bothering someone else with that when I'm solo. It's also a great environment for introspection and mental house cleaning.
As others have said, I typically see others out on the trails so I guess it's not truly "solo". The only true solo hikes I have had are night/sunrise hikes where I have lucked out and been the only one on the trail - having a busy summit all to yourself in the morning twilight while you wait for the sun is really something special.
That‘s probably the 2nd best thing about living up here in Jackman ME, in 5 years I’ve seen fewer than 20 people on trail. It’s even better in winter, when I can drive down any logging road, stop wherever I want outside of working hours (and without blocking the road; I’ve had to winch myself out a few times after pulling a little too far off the road), strap on the snowshoes and head off in any direction without ever running into anyone. I’m more likely to run into backcountry snowmobilers than another hiker/snowshoer, I sure hear them a lot!

Like you said, I can go my own pace, stop look & listen whenever I want, and head out early in the morning or well after dark. Whatever emotional or mental baggage I’m carrying melts away as soon as I’m making tracks, and I can physically feel the figurative weight coming off my shoulders. Even just an hour in the woods is like a hard reset, whatever I bring out there stays out there.

I do like having companions along, both 2- and 4-legged, even though I generally have to turn back a lot sooner than I would when by myself and keep the elevation gain to a minimum. Every so often I’ll get someone who can go more than a couple hours to come along, but when I’m with a casual hiker/snowshoer I’ll usually just go back out by myself for a longer trip later.
I need to go out with these ladies more this winter! They’re getting old, though. 😢

I too have spent most of my wilderness travel solo. I prefer off trail rather than on hiighly traveled trails. I use a trail as a means to get me to a place where I can get off ttrail.

When I travel and navigate solo I have only myself to blame for mistakes made of any kind. There is no debate on what "we" should do next or where or how to proceed.

When I go solo I don't have to worry about or put up with people who complain about bushwhacking to my old favorites or to find new interesting destinations by traveling through places like this:1696856267018.png
1696856671762.png
1696856345557.png

or have problem when traveling with companions who who up like this:
1696856292001.png

Last edited: