Solo Marshall loop, Aug 19-21,07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonrock

Reaction score
I had Marshall left to do, my 44th of 46, but had missed that trip with my traditional hiking buddies, a few years back. So I determined to cram it into last week, after visiting family in upstate NY and VT.

Arrived Upper Wks trailhead at 7:30 PM Sun. Noting the planned construction, I parked at Santanoni lot and road-hiked, signing my permit by headlamp. Having packed up Calamity Brook trail before, I had no desire to do so in 3 hours by headlamp. So I set off toward Henderson and Wallface lean-tos instead.
At Henderson (9:15 PM), I was greeted by barking dogs. Fully intending to sleep that night, I headed on toward Wallface, after safely crossing at the "broken bridge". [Missed a beautiful tent site, right near the trail on the other side !]

The next rough, damp .6 mile uphill with a full pack and headlamp was psychologically wearing, but I listened for reappearance of the brook and was eventually rewarded. At the lean-to (10 PM), snoring greeted my quiet approach, so I tented a couple hundred feet away and ate perishables without cooking. Tent spot was fairly convenient to (what's left of) the privy, but. But very fresh and comfortable. Esp after a little $8 Aussie "muscle relaxant", streamside.

Politely surprised the stirring shelter inhabitants over breakfast: Three very friendly, cool dudes from all over the US, who were hanging and hiking that week. I told them of my plans - lest I break a leg somewhere - and set off to day-hike Marshall via Indian Pass and Cold Brook trail, then return via Herbert and Calamity brook. The idea was to daylight-scout a campsite closer to the trailhead (for my LONG return-drive) on the way back.

Reasoned that west Indian Pass would be safer to ascend than to return, not knowing the condition of the ladders, and (over)anticipating a potential Mahoosuc Notch setting. Instead, the trail was in good-excellent shape and very hikable. Ladders intact, but short and not always needed by hikers.

At Summit Rock, I listened to the peregrine falcons, did a brief Les Stroud impression with my camera, then picked my way down the (much rougher) descent to the trail junction. SW Cold Brook pass trail was also unexpectedly hiker-friendly, and the steep path up to Marshall's false summit had also seen more-than-expected use; none of the expected eye-poking or tricep-gouging. But still fairly slow going, given the narrow path, humidity and the safety considerations of solo-hiking. Highs were in the 60s, with high, layered overcast

Marshall summit sign and cairn were welcome sights. Also welcome was the trail behind the summit sign, leading to an actual VIEW, from a southwest ledge. Not toward the central HPs, but a nice sweep from the Santanonis left to Upper Works, North River Range & Cheny Cobble, Adams, Allen, Cliff and Redfield, Skylight and Marcy (last through trees).

Descended after 4 PM. Herbert Brook steeps were muddier and slower than expected; the stream hike was a joy. By the time I hiked around from the cairn to Calamity Brook, though, I knew I'd be night-hiking again. Considered the shortcut trail back to Indian Pass, but had read it was mushy, and the 600-foot up/down did not appeal. So I reached the clear-cut and Calamity junction at dusk, then retraced my Sunday night hike, albeit with daypack and 1/2 hour earlier. Replaced headlamp batteries (in sudden pitch-darkness) along the way. The guys were snoring by the time I arrived, and cooking again was deferred for snacks, water and vino:
Having a bear canister instills confidence; NOT having a down-wind "lookout", while cooking and eating in the dark, does not.

Awoke 6:30 and packed quickly. Said goodbyes to the Dudes, and packed out in cool, blessed daylight. Made Henderson lean-to in 20 mins flat, taking a few last photos of dew.
The Tahawus Rd was under construction, but still open to cars ($%^$%!!).
Drove out from the S parking lot at 9:50, abandoning hope of that omelet and coffee in Old Forge. Hammered 90 and 95 south, threading the needle after the dreaded DC evening traffic.
Back home near Raleigh (where I missed another stormy, 105-degree day) at 11:25 PM.

Photo link:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/560412088ltGFzT

Next Trip: Upper WJ and Armstrong, for my 46 !
MR

Geez, I was there 6 weeks ago and I didn't see that yellow disk at the summit. Did it look fairly new? All I found was the end of the herd path and a cairn on top. Was the cairn still there at least?

Nice pics, by the way. I'll never complain about the trip to the 'Daks from NH if you are driving all the way from NC to finish your list!

Thanks for the kind words.

The Cairn was there.
The disk may have been hand-lettered with a Sharpie.....
.....or maybe that was just my autofocus.

Yeah, the drive's a drag. I prefer to divert from DC and take 81 to Syracuse. 10.5 hours minimum, 11.5 typical.
I-95 and 87 to Albany entails tolls ($15), minimal scenery, and LOTS of traffic potential. Either way, I usually rent a cheap subcompact - with cruise and automatic - for the trip, to conserve my '06 Scion.

Dacks trips were much easier (and common) when I was in Rochester, 15 years ago. But returning there was depressing; my place AND my job both s**ked.
And now I have the Smokies, and Shenandoah, not too far. ;)

MR

Nice report and congrats! You are almost finished.

Highonlife and I did Marshall (my No. 22) this saturday, from the Loj -- Avalanche Pass is always a joy.

The Herbert Brook herpath is gorgeous! Did you notice all the Indian Pipe and the purple Gentian?

There is a yellow disk affixed to a small spruce on the summit, with "Marshall" scribbled on in it handwriting.

:)

Unadogger: Your having "only" 22 somehow makes me feel less old. Thanks.

My buds (all of whom I met at High School or at R.P.I.) have been picking away at this since the mid 1980s ! DNAgent finished his 46 with us in Fall 2005, hours ahead of Tropical Storm Ivan.

BTW: after a strenuous trip, there's Nothing like torrential rain to help you appreciate being indoors, showered, and consuming great food and drink !