Some Advice on this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tycho_32

Reaction score
Some one I know set up a trip to hike the Osceolas this weekend with some high school kids. He then backed out and left me to "guide" the trip. Most of these kids have never hiked before never mind on snow--packed or otherwise. I am looking for advice on whether I should take them. I have experience in White Mountain conditions but they dont. How do you all feel about that? Given what the conditions could be this weekend and all.

Are you definitely going to encounter snow on Osceola? I wouldn't abandon my plans just for that slim possibility.

Be aware that a couple kids from my old high school got lost going up Osceola last year (they thought they were taking a short cut), so keep a sharp eye on your charges, wherever you go.

Play it safe

I second Sherpa John and sli74's ideas...keep it simple. Based on most trip reports from VFTT you will find snow on the 4000 footers. I was across Waterville Valley last weekend on the Try's and there is still a lot of snow and ice in the deep wooded trails above about 3200 feet. The going can be slow and slippery and may not be great for the inexperienced. I have heard Chocora is clear and I would imagine Monadnock is too.

Your DEFINITLY going to see 1-2 feet of slippery snow on the Osceola's this weekend starting from about 3200 feet. I would go with what others are suggesting and climb something further South. Certainly don't want to discourage the teens from hiking again... :)

Another "snow free" suggestion is Cardigan

Don't Do It!!!

You will have ice and snow up there. As Raymond warns, I've read more than once about kids getting lost from their groups on this mountain. The forecast is for partly-cloudy at this point, but it's the White Mountains!

I agree with SherpaJohn, Manadnock would be ideal, less worries, nice mountain.

Have fun :)

Definately do not do it!!!! Monadnock, Cardigain, Welch-Dickey loop, Washington barefoot and blindfolded up Huntington Ravine... errr wait... scratch that last
one... :eek: but any of the others or anything around or under 3,300 should be good especially if it is south facing and the trail is wide.

Not only should you opt for one of the lower peaks, but hopefully you have other adults going with you to help monitor the group.

Raymond said:
Be aware that a couple kids from my old high school got lost going up Osceola last year (they thought they were taking a short cut), so keep a sharp eye on your charges, wherever you go.

Uh, yeah, what he said. Or leave lots of room at the trailhead parking lot for us for when we get called. (Last time at Osceola "us" was several dozen on two feet, plus another eight or nine on four feet, as I recall ......) ;)

I took a group up Cannon a couple of weekends ago and we all had varying degrees of experience on snow and ice. In sunny weather, it can be a bit of a challenge - but in cloudy, rainy, cold temps, it can be a nightmare because everyone slows down significantly on ice and snow.

Like everyone said - Welch Dickey, Monadnock, Cardigan.

I postponed it till later in the year when hopefully the snow is gone. My hiking buddy and I are going to go over to do Cabot by ourselves.
Thanks for your input!!!

tycho_32. I would not postpone it. You are getting out, bring the teens with you and do Welch-Dickey or Cardigan. Everyone will come away happy, and you may start someone on a lifelong love of the mountains. I remember how disappointed I'd get when my scout leaders would have to cancel out (rarely happened, thankfully). I was also lucky enough to have trusting parents who trusted me as soon as I felt comfortable to head out with friends.

Last edited:
Its ok we are still going its just later. It is a fund raiser so they can go to Jamaica--hike a thon. It actually gives them time to raise more money and it gives me a rare free weekend to hike one of the 48 I havent done yet.

Two weekends ago I lead a hike up in the Monadnock area with new hikers. We had rain all day and snow at the summit. I'm not sure some of those girls will go again. :eek: But it was a great learning experience for them. See you on Cabot this weekend.

I'll probably see you on Cabot too...I'll be in the bright orange raincoat

*grumbles about stinkin' rain*