Some Gathering 9.0 ???? Answered

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teejay

Reaction score
The Beautiful Finger Lakes; Avatar: 4 Hrs. up, 4
What's a Gathering, after all? Is it a fall whack weekend in NH, a barbeque at Spence's, a luxo hut trip to the ADKs or the Whites, Hiking in Acadia, a charity hike in the Catskills, a bike ride in Boston or a beer night in Montreal? It's not any one of these. It's all of them. It's when we get together, dare I say, as family, a reunion. It's why LindaLu flew coast to coast, why Little Bear drove 9 hours to a place just three hours away, why Gris and his son ventured into the frozen north. It's about being there, not where.

That said, I'm going to go ahead with scouting out the NW corner of Massachusetts in search of the perfect spot for Gathering 9.0. Anyone else who is interested can meet up with me around May 19 or so in the North Adams/Williamstown area to check it out, I'll post my plans when they're finalized. There are lots of hiking options in the area, Taconic Crest Trail, LT/AT, Mt. Greylock, the Berkshires, the southern Green Mountains, just to name a few. It's not that far from Yankee Candle, either, as a non-hiking option for the day that it is guaranteed to rain. This is a Gathering, after all.

I'm planning on the weekend of September 14-17 (Thursday-Sunday) with the option of moving it to the following weekend if there is a conflict with the perfect spot. The weekend of FOT48 will not be an option. The "summer" gathering has always, since I've been going, been a weekend near Darren's birthday, and so it will be this year.

After the hugely successful door prize/giveaway of last year, I'll have another one this year with more fun goodies to dole out.

I'd like to try something else new this year and this would be the perfect time. More later on this.

Stay tuned for details as they become finalized.

teejay

Not sure if it's been "advertised" yet, but everyone should put last weekend of July on their calendar for "Sherpa-stock." Before he got hurt SK was planning a big bash then at his lakeside cabin in western maine (Oxford to be exact). He wanted (and still wants based on my conversation with him yesterday) to have a weekend long thang w/ everyone tenting at his place (a beautiful spot), hiking during the day (many good hkes close by) and "gathering" for some live music by some of VFTT's own Friday & particularly Saturday night. I think in light of his long road back to enjoying the mountains this event and the opportunity to gather with his hiking friends will be very special to him... :D

As far as the 9.0 fall gathering, my vote still goes to Hayes Field in Dolly Copp....

Tee Jay, thanks for taking the bull by the horns! It's on my calendar! (As is the SK weekend.)

bc

Thank you for the excellent location choice! I won't have enough time to dedicate the whole weekend, but since it's only an hour or so away I may be able to steal a day and make a nice dayhike / evening dinner out of it.

Looking forward to finally putting faces to screen names for most of you.
Smitty

I live in Berkshire County and there is an endless amount of things to do if the weather is bad. The hiking is good, if you decide to get together in North Cty. Greylock would be an obvious choice, but there are many others.
I personally think the best hiking is the Taconic Ridge, but that will be at least an hours drive to the trail heads from North County.

teejay....does that mean if I go I can get another pocket magnifier?....It has come in VERY handy many times!

Gathering 9.0 plans coming together

Time to move this to the top.

I spent yesterday in North Adams, MA checking out a campground for the Gathering. Historic Valley Campground is located in the afternoon shadow of Mt. Greylock just south of the center of town. The sites are close together and heavily wooded. "Hammock Heaven". There is electric and water is nearby. The potties are a short walk away. The men's room (there are two) each had two standers, two sitters(sic) and two shower stalls/changing areas. There is no charge for the showers. The charge for each site is $20/night and each site can have 2 cars. There is additional parking nearby. The number of tents will depend on the size of the particular site. Hopefully, we can all double up on the sites. There is a beach and swimming. Boats and canoes can be rented. The camp store has ice and wood and a very few groceries available.

Everyone should make their own reservations with the campground, 413 662-3198. When you call, tell them you are with "teejay". The sites are numbered 50-52 and 65-67. Once all these are taken, there are others close by, 48, 53, 54, 63, which are $25/night but they have water as well and can also take pop-ups or small trailers. Jean, the manager, will try to keep us together.

They do not take credit cards. After you call and make your reservation, they will send a confirmation and ask for payment for one night by check.

I also went to the Freight Yard Pub and Restaurant. It's close by and looks like the perfect place for our traditional Friday night out dinner. They have a separate area upstairs for groups. I will go ahead and reserve space for us and try to get a head-count later. Saturday will be the pot-luck at the campsite as usual.

One thing to keep in mind. This campground is owned and operated by the city and there is "security" I was told. I didn't ask, but would assume it's regularly patrolled by N. Adams' finest. Keep this in mind.

As has been mentioned here, there's lots to do in the area. And, since this is a Gathering, it will rain so there's lots of options besides hiking. One event is taking place at the campground as well, a Pow Wow with Native American dancing, a birds of prey show and crafts for sale.

That's it for now. Book your sites, buddy-up, get psyched for a great time. I'm sure not everything has been answered here so fire away with any questions you have. I prefer email.

teejay

teejay said:
One thing to keep in mind. This campground is owned and operated by the city and there is "security" I was told. I didn't ask, but would assume it's regularly patrolled by N. Adams' finest. Keep this in mind.
teejay

Having personal experiences with North Adams' finest, I would strongly recommend everyone "play nice." :D North Adams is my old stomping grounds and I'm back there regularly. I can certainly answer any questions about the local flavor, things to do, how to get there, etc... A couple suggestions are Natural Bridge (nice place) and Coca-Cola ledge for folks who don't want to make the climb up Mt. Greylock. There are also a couple great museums (Clark Art and Mass Moca), etc....

Historic Valley Campground is locally known as Fish Pond and tends to get a lot of local kids partying there on weekends.

Looks like a l-o-o-o-n-g drive no matter how I go. Over 4 hours. :mad:

So I'm trying to figure the best (i.e., fastest) way from Portland to N. Adams.

Mapquest tells me 95-495-2, but that looks like a roundabout way (yeah, I know, it's at highway speeds). How long does it take folks to get from Concord NH to N. Adams? If Mapquest is wrong about 2.5 hours maybe it's worth going that way. :confused:

So is this thing happening? I realize it's three weeks away, but there hasn't been much chatter around here.

Teejay, have you heard from anyone?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

teejay, I'm interested in going....i'll find out tomorrow night if i have to work on that sunday...I worked at a camp in the Berkshires this summer and I kept trying to go to Greylock but the plans kept failing...hope to see you...you know the gatherings are getting closer and closer to Lond Island...a 4-5 hour ride is nothing now after those trips to Maine :D

Well, David, if you need further incentive to come to the Gathering this year, I will have a new pocket magnifier for you and one for your wife.

Returning this year will be the Great Gathering Gifts and Goodies Giveaway and I will be raffling off a bunch of wonderous stuff like last year. I'll also have another giveaway with a twist this year. Look for details to come soon.

teejay

Gathering bonus

C'mon folks, this thing is only a little over a week away. Let's hear some talk about hikes planned, food we're bringing for the pot luck, etc. BTW, I'll be hiking Greylock and somewhere on the Taconic Crest Trail and will bring salt potatoes for the pot luck.

I'm adding a little bonus giveaway this year. I have an EMS gift card waiting to be used up, free to the person at the Gathering who can guess how much is left on the card. It started as a $50 card, but some of it has been used. How much? I'm not saying. Anyway, this will go to the person guessing the closest to how much is left on the card.

teejay

teejay said:
C'mon folks, this thing is only a little over a week away. Let's hear some talk about hikes planned, food we're bringing for the pot luck, etc. BTW, I'll be hiking Greylock and somewhere on the Taconic Crest Trail and will bring salt potatoes for the pot luck.

I'm adding a little bonus giveaway this year. I have an EMS gift card waiting to be used up, free to the person at the Gathering who can guess how much is left on the card. It started as a $50 card, but some of it has been used. How much? I'm not saying. Anyway, this will go to the person guessing the closest to how much is left on the card.

teejay
Nice gesture! Now, I wonder where you got that card! :D