son of Coldfeet's wood Frankenstove

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Coldfeet's cookie tin fireplace can be seen in action in this short video. This was great to have, but barely passable as a "stove" for areas where fires are not allowed. Are wood stoves allowed in areas where fires are not allowed ? Not sure, better play this safe and only use these in areas where they are...anyhow...it got me thinking, and looking for the right tin. I'd like a raised platform inside that would improve air flow, a fitted top that doubles as a burner, light, durable, big enough to stoke as a small fireplace AND I'd like the thing to house the pot and pan I use.

I found the right tin and cannibalized the dish from an old mess kit:

IMG_2472.JPG

I tin snipped the edges and and punctured the base of the dish and bottom edge of the tin to create openings for air flow:

IMG_2476.JPG

The dish/wood platform then was nestled into the tin:

IMG_2477.JPG

I spent a few minutes tracing the size of the pot I use onto the tin lid and puncturing that to create the burner and a raised scroll the pot would sit on to allow air flow:

IMG_2479.JPG

I have not fired it up yet, but I believe it'll satisfy the objectives. I can't wait to try it and will update this thread with a video of the Son of Frankenstove in action. Out of pocket $ = nothing. Time spent making = maybe a half hour. :

IMG_2487.JPG

Last edited:
nice...i can understand it now how the ultralight hikers play around with those tuna fish can stoves...once you start it becomes addicting...

It's not a stove it's ART.
Does it work?

I haven't fired it up yet as all the tinder is under 4' of snow :rolleyes:. I've already been thinking of modifications, though. I'm at home today on the computer for work, due to the new storm, so I might have time to make the mods and find some combustibles.

so I might have time to make the mods and find some combustibles.

......are you related to Arthur Brown? This looks like an interesting rig. I agree with Parodox. These things tipically need some sesoning.

okay, seasoning completed. I was concerned about a catastrophic meltdown, which didn't occur;

IMG_2500.JPG

I let the fire burn for about a half hour to get some coals in the bottom and as soon as I put on the lid...

IMG_2503.JPG

...it shut down the fire;

IMG_2504.JPG

I like that it was cool enough on the bottom not to burn off the paint or melt the cutting board, but I'll need to study wood camp stoves to see how to improve the air flow.

Sweet..Now you need some good fire gloves and a rugged stuff sack. By the looks of the snow around that thing it looks like it heated right up! What's for Dinner?

Not enough holes in the top to keep the draft going. Did you change the top? The origional pixs looked like more holes around the outside edge?

Make a chimney. :)

Why didn't you just sit it directly onto the concrete?

I wanted to see if the base would stay cool enough to not melt the plastic cutting board I bring on overnights.

So...it's a good mini-campfire, and possible heat for a grill, but won't be a "stove" without the blower fan that is used with small wood stoves. I have a hard time believing those mini hiker wood stoves don't burn the wood faster than the fire can be fed, but I'm sure someone will tell me different.

I wanted to see if the base would stay cool enough to not melt the plastic cutting board I bring on overnights.

So...it's a good mini-campfire, and possible heat for a grill, but won't be a "stove" without the blower fan that is used with small wood stoves. I have a hard time believing those mini hiker wood stoves don't burn the wood faster than the fire can be fed, but I'm sure someone will tell me different.

I always seem to get in trouble with the wife every time I take something out of the kitchen for "other" uses.

A batttery powered mattress inflator would make one heck of a blower for that thing.... but you want an stove not a smelter. You can run computer CPU cooling fans with a 9 volt battery I think. You should be able to pick one of those up for free almost anywhere.