South Big Spencer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dms

Reaction score
This peak is a typical ME 3k peak, in that we took four different lumber company roads, each one worse than the one before it, to get to the base of the peak. I was joined by Jim C., Onestep, mhrsebago, and Nate. We left Greenville at 6 am and it took us 2 hours of driving over dirt roads to reach our starting point. Fortunately Herb Foster had given some good info to avoid a band of cliffs near the summit. It was mixed conditions, old slash areas, open woods, thick stuff, this wack had it all. However the summit ridge had by far the worse conditions of all. Anyone thinking of doing this peak, DON'T go via the ridge from the main summit. Erik Schlimmer lists it as one of the 5 worse he's done. We approached from the west via Kidney Pond Road. Well, at some time in the past it had been a road, now it's more like a trail. I had a great time because of my companions, it takes a "special" kind of lunancy to wack these remote ME peaks. I only have 8 peaks left to complete my list of New England 3's. Seven in BSP, and only one is a bushwack, N. Turner, which has an open summit. I hope to get up there before the Park closes for the year. Anyone interested in a late season trip for the Travelers, Turners, Double Top, and The Owl, please let me know. Pics at http://community.webshots.com/album/553858136WSlFdr

Last edited:
Page not available, too many 3k baggers trying to view it at once

dms said:
Anyone interested in a late season trip for the Travelers, Turners, Double Top, and The Owl, please let me know.
The PeakMaster got 6 of those alone in a long fall weekend for #444-449 so history is repeating itself

It was great to hike with DMS again.... He led the ascent through mostly open terrain until we approached the ridge; while I, on the other hand, led the descent and managed to find every mossy slippery rock face, blow down field, and thick patch. How wide the gulf between Master and Apprentice!!

"Hey, we're out of Kool-Aid!"

Dennis, thank you so much for inviting me along for this 'whack up SW Spencer. You're totally right that hiking with a group is so much more enjoyable than attacking a thickset mountain alone. It was truly an educational experience bushwhacking with such seasoned veterans. While I would have simply made a beeline for the peak and worried about the cliffy area once I reached it, Dennis expertly guided us to a more hiker-friendly spot along the ridge from which to attack the final summit bump. En route, he expertly guided us through what had to have been one of the most (relatively) open courses getting to that summit. Being the third person back, both Dennis and Jim cleared the way for me, locating all the obstacles and knocking away all the dead branches for me (although perhaps not with that specific intent). Dennis might describe this as a difficult hike (and since he led the whole way up, that was his experience), but all I had to do was follow Jim, and soon enough I was at the canister and its expansive views southward. It really wasn't that bad at all. Hence, that would be my recommendation for anyone attempting this bushwhack: bring a bunch of veteran bushwhackers with you to lead the way, and head up on a lovely day.

In closing, thank you again guys for letting me tag along. It was equally a pleasure and an honor. It was a really fun group, and so expert at whacking that I would readily follow you up any mountain. Perhaps the next time that we're seeking the same peak I will again have that honor.

I'm just teasing. Nice work, Gents! I'll be back there myself before long. Maybe I'll give your route a whirl this time.

to those of you who asked about Barren (most of whom are likely reading this thread), I didn't go a few weeks ago b/c I got romanced away from the attempt with an open spot at Russell Pond that weekend. I spent 2.5 days tramping the interior of the park, instead, so I have neither failure nor success to report regarding Barren.

spencer

Bravo guys! Well done.

Just came back myself from that ridge on Mon. 4th Sept. Took me 2 hrs of crawling on ridge to get back to tower & never found canister on S.W. Spencer. Sounds familiar to you Spencer? However I was under cold rain, so no dehydration for me.

Nice to know that Erik Schlimmer rates this one in the top 5 roughest bwks. I thus don't feel so bad for not having continued on. I usually don't turn back easily despite facing hardships of nature (ask my winter hiking friends), but I must admit that this one demoralized me, as well as my moose pals (zero herd paths here).

Also to my defense, I was not hiking alone & I knew Hughes, who had turned back after the tower, would be waiting anxiously for me at the car since he absolutely had to be back to Québec city before 21h00.

Would I go back. Certainly not, unless I had company to compensate for the lack of fun on this bwk & I would not walk the range next time.

Thanks dms for sharing.

Pierre

Mark, you got us back to within 100 feet of the vehicles from a mile a way, that seems like pretty good navigation to me!!

dms said:
This peak is a typical ME 3k peak, in that we took four different lumber company roads, each one worse than the one before it, to get to the base of the peak.
Mark, I never knew a Saab could float! The wake your front bumper created as you "cruised" across the beaver pond was impressive!!

Onestep