South & North Baldface 6/20/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildPeaks

Reaction score
Haven't posted a TR in a long time BUT.....have to write this one!

After a couple of days in Baxter SP a few years ago, I vowed NEVER to hike in June again!....Ever. It was Hazy, Hot & Humid and the bugs were beyond bad. I set my tent up with full Goretex, hat & gloves on. I must have lost 2 lbs. just setting up. I remember shivering, yes shivering, on the second day going up the Hunt Trail. Later I was told I should have stopped, as i was entering a phase of dehydration. But I was too stubborn to not get this one more peak while I was in the neighborhood.

Well, anyway Paula (aka Charlie Brown) wanted to get a hike in with myself and Julie as we hadn't hiked together for a long time. So, I guess I forgot my vow?? and both summits were on the NHHH list so...I was in.

There were some bugs still at basecamp in Twin Mt. but not as bad as 2 weekends before. There were a few in the lot, but nothing alarming. But as soon as we hit the ledges on the way up to South BF and were going a little slower.....they hit. It was like someone rang the dinner bell or something. Julie was the main course I guess, as she had several drops of blood running down her leg. Paula was next, but not as bad. It was all coming back to me now!! ___ ____ ____
But, somehow...they weren't as interested in Italian Food??? They were bothering me and landing, but hardly biting??... ok...... They thinned as we got higher on the ledges and on South Summit with the strong breeze, but regrouped and attacked on North even though there was wind. I somehow escaped with just a few nibbles. Usually, if there are bugs, I'm on the menu! A few got me in the lot as we enjoyed a frosty one, more than the whole hike, but that was it.

But the main thing I want to say is, even though it's June...and yup..bugs, This hike is one of the most beautiful, enjoyable hikes I've done. You MUST consider,.... do this loop. I know I was with great company, (that always helps) but I was really impressed with this one. Spectacular comes to mind as I can still remember the views of the area as I approached the area early that day from Evans Notch.

Ya, I'm still itching a little, and I guess I did get more bites than I thought, but have just one question..
Where is the town North Chatham?:)

Yes, I do remember you...at the summit and about the area.
I can see why they're your favs!
Will see you at some point out there.

Baldfaces

The Grey Ghost from Westford. Met you a couple of winters ago on Galehead. I hiked the Baldfaces last fall. What a great loop.

Hey, good to see you enjoyed that as well. Of course i remember it well, that was one of Jerry Horne's round of W4k's!