Southeast Whaleback 3060'

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
I doubt there have been many threads about Southeast Whaleback here on VFTT. When Eric (Barbarossa) and I signed the register, the last entry we found was 10/18/03. Most of the people who signed in I did not recognize as members of VFTT (although I recognized a bunch of the names). Southeast Whaleback is on the NH 200 which I don't think many people are working on (Eric is, I am not; Maybe I should finish my NH48 first).

We started out this hike really having no definite idea what we were going to do. I read that stream crossings would suck. Eric's knee was bothering him. I hadn't hiked in a while and on and on. When we reached the junction with the Lincoln Woods Trail and the Flume-Osseo Trail we kinda looked at the map and decided that the only thing that seemed interesting (and doable) that day was Southeast Whaleback. So, we headed up the Flume-Osseo Trail (dry and in good condition) for about 3/4 mile until we had a nice departure point to Osseo Brook (?? or whatever the name is of this brook).

At this point, I started to enjoy the hike. Until now I had been rather bored with the Lincoln Woods Trail and even the Flume-Osseo Trail and was rather eager to get off trail and start stomping around the woods. We dropped down to the brook and upstream on a nice logging road to find a decent crossing. After crossing (me on a downed tree, Eric some other way), we followed another logging road downstream a bit before heading into the woods. For a long time Eric and I had nice open hardwoods and calm, beautiful day. We kept going, crossed a few feeder streams and then started climbing.

Climbing was nice until about 2500' when we found ourselves swimming upstream through thick spruce & blowdowns. This lasted for about an hour when we reached about 2900'. Then it was just blowdowns, but at least we could see something besides spruce-in-the-face. Finding the summit and register was easy despite the summit area being a wide plateau.

Eric and I signed the register, maybe farted a few times and wondered why people don't poop in the registers more often, and then headed north to avoid the blowdown and spruce on the decent. Going down was much easier... we kinda hooked up with the main feeder brook in the valley, which we followed just about the entire way to the crossing of Osseo Brook (which we just trudged through this time) and then the trail. On the way, much to Eric's chagrin, I took down any flagging I saw.

I took about 3 pictures and I'm not going to go to the trouble posting them and whatnot. There were no ledges and this was a wooded summit. However, since the leaves were down we got some great views into the Pemi. For most of the hike we had great views to Bond, Bondcliff, Hellgate Ravine and West Bond. In my opinion these were some unique views considering you rarely look directly into Hellgate Ravine from any angle. Also, we found a blowdown area that gave even nicer views to Owl's Head, The Bonds, The Twin Range and even Garfield poked out. I was satisfied. In fact, I was happy with the entire hike. You really can't beat being off trail, open woods (for the most part), logging roads, moosie paths and whatnot on a dry fall day. Despite the warnings of horrific stream crossings, all ours were simple.

After the hike, Eric ate a block of cheese and we went to the Mountain Wanderer.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
You've been doing quite a few bushwhacks lately, Dr. Wu. I saw you signed in on East Garfield Ridge when I was there today. I thought of doing South Whaleback, but I would have taken the remains of the old Osseo trail up from the Kanc. Just finding the trailhead out behind the condos would be the toughest part. (I think it is near a stream.)

One question - did you also attempt West Garfield Ridge on that trip to East Garfield Ridge, and were you able to find the cannister? I'd like to confirm what I found with someone who has been there. PM me if you like.

albee said:
You've been doing quite a few bushwhacks lately, Dr. Wu. I saw you signed in on East Garfield Ridge when I was there today. I thought of doing South Whaleback, but I would have taken the remains of the old Osseo trail up from the Kanc. Just finding the trailhead out behind the condos would be the toughest part. (I think it is near a stream.)

One question - did you also attempt West Garfield Ridge on that trip to East Garfield Ridge, and were you able to find the cannister? I'd like to confirm what I found with someone who has been there. PM me if you like.
Actually, you've just been to the same two peaks that I've been to recently. I haven't been doing much bushwhacking at all. To answer your questions. We did Southeast Whaleback from the Flume-Osseo Trail only because we walked in from Lincoln Woods with not plan at all. We decided to do Southeast Whaleback a few miles in. Also, No, I didn't do Garfield Ridge Peak West. We did the East Peak because I had been there before (last winter) and new there was a ledge with great views. I didn't have much interest in the West Peak because I heard there's not much there except thick woods.

I've been on the old Osseo Trail in the past year or so -- both from Flume and from the Condos. I don't think the trail should be that hard to find. If anything, walk into the woods somewhere around there and 'whack around -- you'll find it eventually. There's a red-blazed trail which runs into it as well, I think. The Osseo Trail is blazed with bright yellow.

The woods between the Flume-Osseo Trail and Southwest Whaleback are nice.

-Dr. Wu

W Gar Rige

W Gar Ridge is worth it.....There is a handle on a tree at summit.We went down past the handle and down to the col and it was a pain in the butt,hidden ledges and spruce .Might be easier to retrace from the ridge trail.

Whaleback S Pk

Neighbor and I signed in to Whaleback S peak 10/3/04,wondering if you saw that sign in.Chickity waited on the Whaleback and we continued on following the old Osseo which had new work on it.It finally met with the true trail and up to Flume we went.....On the way down we met Mohammed making his way up to flume .We finished the loop down Lincoln Woods and walked the highway (trying to hitch a ride) back to the condos.That was a nice loop hike.MJ

Double Vision

It looks like we have yet another summit with two cannisters. The latest entry we saw was from 10/18/03. When we talked to Steve Smith at the Mountain Wanderer (after allowing proper time for the cheese to digest) he said he knew of someone going up there the previous week.

The cannister we saw was a small Nalgene wrapped in red tape and suspended by parachute cord.

Does this mean I can't have a drumstick until I go back?

We signed in here.

[url="http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?latd=44&latm=4.954&lond=71&lonm=36.733&datum=NAD83&u=7]This[/url] seemed lower.

I think the moving summit on Owl's Head still generates more interest. ;)

Barbarossa said:
This seemed lower.
[corrected URL]
Maybe the other people came up from the condos & only went to the first summit (do you know that they signed in?) or maybe they are the sort that don't sign registers

Eric, I did this peak back in 1988, I understood that the bump closest to the trail was the summit, and that's where we found the register with all the then usual suspects having signed in.

dms said:
Eric, I did this peak back in 1988, I understood that the bump closest to the trail was the summit, and that's where we found the register with all the then usual suspects having signed in.
As far as I know we were at the bump closest to the Trail and not the one Southeast of that. From the summit area we had a decent views of Whaleback and there was nothing higher between us and Whaleback. I suspect there are two cannisters. I had 3070' on my altimiter at the summit where we signed in. When we wandered North/Northwest we found another bump that seemed like a high point (and had some flagging but no cannister) but the elevation was 3020'. In the register, there seemed to be some confusion if this was the highpoint or not.

I don't give a crap. As far as I'm concerned I was on the high point. :)

-Dr. Wu

dms said:
Eric, I did this peak back in 1988, .
Also, the log we found dated to 1997. Although the canister we found was easy to find (highest point on the bump we were on) I still suspect there was more than one in the area. Once we found it and signed in, we didn't bother to look for any more.

-Dr. Wu