Southern Celebrity Traverse, 09/05/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldMan

Reaction score
My wife Kim and I were up at camp and she says I want to go shopping at Conway tomorrow. So I know what this means... I get a free pass to hike!!! So some quick weather checks.. good weather... so a hike with views between Littleton and Conway. Guess a trip to the Celebrities is in order. I have an 8 hour window to hike and I can get dropped off in one place and picked up in another. What could be better. Of course a hiking trip while Kim is shopping always costs more that just hiking. So I set a plan in motion. Kim will drop me at the Cog Railroad station at 8:00 and pick me up at Crawford Depot at 4:00.

So my plan is to hike up the Ammonoosuc Ravine to Lake of the Clouds and then over Marilyn Monroe, Aretha Franklin, Jennie Eisenhower, Monica Lewinsky (Clinton), Michael Jackson, and finally Emmanuel Lewis (aka Webster). I got dropped off at the Cog Railway Station at 8:00. The parking attendent was ready and waiting at the Cog station, directing hikers to the lot after collecting the cash. The attendent was kind enough to let us pass since I was just getting dropped off. The hiker lot was pretty full so it was going to be a busy day on the mountain.

On the way up I passed several groups of hikers all out enjoying the great day. I tooks a quick side trip to the gorge to enjoy the water fall. It was splendid indeed.

There was also some very colorful lichen with the cascades in the ravine.

By the time I made it to Lake of the Clouds the sky was clear and Mt Washington was holding its head high.

A quick trip up Marilyn Monroe to touch the pin and I was on the way down where the Cairn Man was nicely leading the way to Jennie Eisenhower.

I stopped on the Crawford Path to take this Panorama shot...

Of course I decided to go over the herd path to visit Aretha Franklin since it was there before heading over to Jennie Eisenhower where the views were incredible.

I spotted the purple alpine flower between Jennie Eisenhower and Monica Lewinsky (Clinton). Any idea what it is?

Just before you get to Monica Lewinsky (Clinton) there is a great view looking back towards Washington that I just love.

From Monica Lewinsky (Clinton) of course the views were also great...

Next stop was the Mizph Hut and then off to visit Michael Jackson. The boardwalk to Michael Jackson always makes a nice picture.

View from Michael Jackson...

After arriving on Michael Jackson, I still had some time to kill before my 4:00 pickup at Crawford Depot so I heaed over to Emmanuel Lewis (aka Webster). The view was not to be missed.

Finally I headed down the Webster Trail to Crawford Depot to meet Kim. A really great day to be in the Celebrities!

I'm not always great at flower ID so I await any corrections, but I'd say it looks like Lapland Rosebay.

Nice job! Emmanuel Lewis has his own peak, yet Gary Coleman doesn't? Whatchoo talkin' bout, Ed!