Southern Exposure in the Presidentials, 3/14/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
March 14, 2009: Southern Presidentials

Trails: Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail, Crawford Path, Webster Cliff Trail, Webster-Jackson Trail, Monroe Loop Trail, Eisenhower Loop Trail

Summits: Monroe, Eisenhower, Pierce, Jackson

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue), MadRiver (Rick), Farmer Bob, and me.

You’d have to work really hard to find anything wrong with this day.

The plan was a traverse from Marshfield Station passing over Monroe, Eisenhower, Pierce, and Jackson ending at the trailhead for the Webster-Jackson Trail in Crawford Notch. This hike essentially finishes a hike of a few weeks ago when a group of us spent the day dodging bullets on Mount Washington. That day was interesting, this day was great fun.

After a 4:30am departure from the Exit 6 Park & Ride in Nashua, Sue and I met MadRiver at the AMC Highland Center as planned a little before 7:00am. As we were leaving to drop a vehicle at the Webster-Jackson turnout on Route 302 some friends pulled in. Steve, Getawaygirl, New Hampshire, and McRat were also making a quick stop for biological reasons before heading to the Rocky Branch Trailhead and their hike to Isolation. We had a quick visit and set off for our day. At Marshfield Station we found Farmer Bob patiently waiting for the rest of us to arrive. With the group complete we quickly geared up and set off on the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail for the treeline.

The starting conditions were great with a completely clear sky, no wind, and a temperature of 8 degrees. Hiking in the morning from Marshfield Station means no sun until we reach the treeline, or really close. On snowshoes, the initial pace was a brisk one and we all fell into our appropriate location in line with me serving as caboose. Approximately the same time as our departure, a pair of hikers and a group of approximately six set off on the same route but I believe these people were headed for Mount Washington. Before reaching Gem Pool everybody had made a couple adjustments to layers – we were coming up to temperature. From Gem Pool to the LOC Hut is a short 1 mile but includes 1550 feet in elevation. It’s very steep for most of the distance. We all left Gem Pool on snowshoes but roughly .25 miles up Sue and I decided crampons would be better. We stopped to make the change, MadRiver and Farmer Bob continued the climb. We did a regroup at the LOC Hut dungeon. As expected, we cleared the treeline and were greeted by unrestricted sun and incredible views. This was definitely the start of a great day above the treeline in the Presidentials.

Next stop, the dungeon. Even though the conditions at the hut were relatively tame, we needed to layer up for the climb to the summit of Monroe. We didn’t know the conditions that were waiting for us but because of the NWS forecast assumed there would be some wind. After preparing for brisk conditions on Monroe we set off. The route followed was generally a direct line from the hut to the summit. With everything covered in a deep layer of ice and Styrofoam it is easy to simply pick a target and go. As they say, third time’s a charm. This was MadRiver’s third attempt to hike Monroe in winter and there was nothing to get in the way of success on this day. In a short time we were all on the summit enjoying the 360 degree views and blustery conditions. The stop at the dungeon was a good call. MadRiver had already hiked the other peaks on our itinerary in winter but still needed the Northern Presidentials. He decided to head for Jefferson and get a little closer to his W48 completion. Farmer Bob decided to head to Jefferson as well. After the usual summit pictures, MadRiver and Farmer Bob headed north while Sue and I continued our planned route south.

Leaving Monroe, the usual route of the Monroe Loop passes over Little Monroe. Instead, we followed a direct route south to rejoin the Crawford Path. This also passed on the east slope of Little Monroe and we enjoyed a period of shelter from the wind. No wind and 100 percent sun made for beautiful, warm conditions. We continued past Little Monroe losing elevation as we went along and made our way back into the exposure to the west wind. At the lower elevation the wind was not nearly as severe as we had encountered on the summit of Monroe. Fortunately, since we had a short hike planned and the day started early, we could hike at a leisurely pace and really enjoy the ridge, which is exactly what we did. All along the hike south we were stopping to take in the scenery, the fighter jets overhead that were engaged in training exercises were an added bonus. Soon we found ourselves at the Crawford Path – Eisenhower Loop junction. Nearby we noticed a number of others dug-in with their tents and wind breaks in place. We also met two hikers leaving Eisenhower and inquiring about the hike north to the LOC Hut – time & distance.

The climb to the summit is a relative short one but we made a stop along the way for a quick break. Roughly half way up we found a sheltered place and took a few minutes for some refreshment and to enjoy the view. As we climbed the wind increased. When we reached the summit we were greeted by wind conditions significantly greater than those on Monroe. Still not unbearable, the conditions were enough to keep us moving. We took some summit pictures and a few distance view shots and set off for our next target, Mount Pierce.

We generally followed the Eisenhower Loop route from the summit to the south junction with the Crawford Path. There, we noticed others headed north. After a few minutes we met and it was none other than Lawn Sale and his hiking partner Ian. I was aware of their plans and hoped to see them on the trail. They were on their way to Eisenhower and then planned to u-turn back to Pierce and Jackson. As we continued our hike south we met an additional ~18 hikers between Eisenhower and Pierce.

We reached the Webster Cliff – Crawford Path trails junction, made the turn, and headed up the final .1 miles and 100 feet to the summit. Here we stopped for a little extra time to enjoy the terrific views back up the ridge from where we came. The sad part of the hike was about to hit. This was the end of our above-the-treeline enjoyment for the day. Feeling a little like the day after Christmas, we headed into the spruce. From the summit of Pierce to Jackson was mainly in thick spruce. And, since the trail is several feet above its normal location we were fighting through treetops, hat snatchers, and other similar pointed objects. Next stop, the Mizpah Hut and a lunch break.

In one short mostly downhill mile we found ourselves at the Mizpah Hut with no wind in this sheltered location and still 100 percent sun. This was an ideal place for a lunch break. There were two open wall sections near the hut that had been warmed by the sun making for perfect seats on which to relax and enjoy the break. We were moving through the day completely on-plan and knew there was much more daylight than needed to finish the hike. In other words I believe neither of us was in a hurry to leave but we still had one more summit to clear and didn’t know the conditions that waited for us on the Webster Cliff Trail south of the hut. Soon, we were back into the hike.

We left the hut on the Mizpah Connector which led to the junction with the Webster Cliff Trail. Sue was leading the way and I was happy to follow behind half daydreaming, half paying attention to the hike. There were signs marking the turn so only a small amount of attention to the hike was needed to stay on course. We managed to hike past the turn without knowing it. After roughly 100 yards I asked Sue if we could have missed the turn. We agreed to head back to see. We found the turn but there was no sign. Evidently, deep snow cost us a short side trip. We made the turn and continued on the route to Jackson. Everything was very easy to follow until we reached the bog area. This is always an interesting place in winter. The trail has no markings in this area and hikers rely on memory to lead them from one side to the other. There was evidence of faded memories. Some places had tracks headed off in strange directions but eventually they all came together.

After clearing the bog we were on final approach to Jackson. From the bog to the summit is mostly a bushwhack route. Just below the summit we once again were on the official trail, climbed the final steep pitch to the exposed area, and walked the final section of ledge to the summit cairn. On past hikes when Sue and I were here the daylight was fading and we were getting ready to turn on the headlights. Not on this day. It was late afternoon with the sun still relatively high. The views in all directions were great! We also had a couple Gray Jays scavenging for food. Sue gladly offered trail mix that they were happy to accept.

With the entire target summits completed all that was left was a short 2.6 miles down to Crawford Notch and the waiting truck. We set off, still on crampons, and made our way off the steep exit via the Jackson Branch of the Webster-Jackson Trail. As I mentioned, this section has usually been hiked by us under headlights. It’s interesting how much shorter a trail can be when the sun is shining. In no time we made it to the trail merge with the Webster Branch. Then, quickly we came to the Puds, and then the Elephant Spur, then route 302 and we were out.

What a great way to close out the winter of ’08 – ’09. Sue is four peaks closer to her W48 completion and we were able to enjoy a hike that couldn’t possibly have been better. We packed our things, made a quick stop at the Highland Center, and headed south. Hopefully MadRiver and Farmer Bob were successful in their hike to Jefferson.

Thanks Sue for a terrific hike. I’ll remember this one for a long time.

Pictures will follow.

:D

Last edited:
Hey Earl,

Good to see you guys yesterday morning. We had talked about pit stop ideas before settling on Highland Center, so it was due to random luck we managed to all be there at the same time :D.

Glad you ahd a great day. We wondered how you folks were fairing, and judging by the conditions we saw from afar you picked a perfect day (which is disappointing since BobC screwed us over for Adams and Madison....J/K Bob ;):D:p)

Brian

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:D

Hey Earl,

Good to see you guys yesterday morning. We had talked about pit stop ideas before settling on Highland Center, so it was due to random luck we managed to all be there at the same time :D.

Glad you ahd a great day. We wondered how you folks were fairing, and judging by the conditions we saw from afar you picked a perfect day (which is disappointing since BobC screwed us over for Adams and Madison....J/K Bob ;):D:p)

Brian
I was really surprised to see all of you pull in because I knew where you were planning to hike. A pleasant surprise for sure.

Late in the week our focus changed to an alternate hike because of the same forecast information that BobC was looking at. We both had come to the same conclusion. Thursday morning we started looking at the other target choices we had for the day and on Thursday evening I had actually started to search for assistance in a car spot for a traverse of the Twins and Galehead.

Early in the morning on Friday the forecast had changed enough to make conditions acceptable for a day above the treeline. We shifted our focus back to the Southern Presidentials and didn’t look back.

The unfortunate part of this is the timing. There were a couple forecasts that looked good throughout the week but a couple key forecasts didn’t, and they didn’t start to converge with the others until late Thursday and early Friday.

There are only a few feet of difference in elevation between the summits of Monroe and Madison. I’ll bet it is safe to assume the conditions on Madison were very similar to those that we enjoyed on Monroe. The conditions were brisk but we had no issues in remaining upright and there was no huge rush to leave except to continue on for our next target. I comfortably hiked all day without goggles.

Since the hike, I have reviewed the weather history for Mount Washington. Based on the recorded information, I believe there was at least 20 mph difference in wind between the summits of Washington and Monroe, but I don’t have a wind meter and can’t say for sure. If I’m right, this was in-line with the NWS Winds Aloft forecast information.

The actual was also in-line with the NWS Recreational Report for the Higher Summits of New Hampshire and Western Maine mountains. Unfortunately, this forecast is published early on the day for which it applies.

:)

nice hike guys. good to see the southern traverse was finally completed. it certainly was a much nicer day than we had at the end of january.

bryan

Nice trip on one gem of a day (what a late winter treat with the magnificent blue-sky weather and warm conditions).:)
We've been hit with a nice string of great hiking days on the weekend recently. It looks like this weekend will be more of the same. I'm looking forward to more terrific hiking conditions before the monorails set in.

nice hike guys. good to see the southern traverse was finally completed. it certainly was a much nicer day than we had at the end of january.

bryan
Once we made it to the treeline on the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail my thoughts started to wander back to that January hike. More than once I stood on the ridge looking toward the summit of Mount Washington and replaying our exit in my head. That day is still very fresh in my mind and I'm sure it will be for a long time. An interesting day for sure.