Southern Presis Aug 13 - 15 2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac

Reaction score
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia - Avatar: Lion Head trail
Hit the road (Dartmouth Nova Scotia) in the wee hours of Aug 13. Normal 9-10 hour drive turned into 12 + with construction on route 2. Reached PNVC mid-afternoon and snagged recently vacated, paved parking spot. Began climb & hit light rain within one hour. As I reached Hermit Lake, ranger asked for help with evac from floor of ravine. This took about 2.5 hours, although there was plenty of help (30+). I hope "Joe" is recovering nicely. Cooked a late pasta supper and slept well.

Next morning (Aug 14), I tackled the Boott Spur link. This is STEEP, but well worth the effort. Once I broke out into the clear, the views were spectacular. My hike continued via Davis Path and other trails to Lakes hut (11 AM ish), where I replenished my water supply and chatted with some hikers. Weather was in the fiftys, with mixed sun, cloud & mist. Next stop would be the summit of Munroe (new territory for me). I especially liked the scramble near the summit, which tested my 50+ body somewhat. After that I found the "loop" to Franklin. It appeared to be seldom used, but the view was worth it. Next stop, Eisenhower, where the trail maintenance was excellent, with wooden steps, etc. After descending into the col, I managed to lose one of my water bottles, after putting it down while looking at the trail map. It was orange (Nalgene), and I hope it found a good home. Soon after that, I caught up with a group of four (two couples) and spent a very enjoyable afternoon hiking with them (including one very amusing incident :D) to Mizpah hut. The hut, croo, and fellow hikers made for an enjoyable experience. One of my bunkmates was a through hiker whose daughter had given him his stay at Mizpah as a birthday present.

Next morning, my descent to the Highland Centre was uneventful, although I missed the shuttle back to PNVC by 5 minutes and had to wait 'til 1 PM for the next one. I had a nice conversation with a fella who was hiking with some retired NYFD chiefs (I think).

Pictures of my hike are here: http://cid-426865e4773cfc1e.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/NH Aug 2009

My drive home was complicated by the train derailment between Gorham and Bethel. Suffice it to say that I did not get home to Nova Scotia until the next day (Sunday). It was inconvenient, but didn't ruin what turned out to be an excellent hike.