Sphinx/Great Gulf trail status??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle

Reaction score
Anyone have up to date info on the Sphinx trail and the Great Gulf trail?

Doing a little research and I find that on 9/4/11 Sphinx had significant blowdown and washout damage.............
and as of 9/20/11 Great Gulf had a 600 ft section of trail destroyed by landslide. (I am assuming this is on the headwall area?)

Anyone have any more recent info on either trail? Or know of trailwork that was done??
Planning a hike in that area in the near future, any info would be great!
Thanks! :)

Hi Michelle,

The Sphinx Trail is fine now, the USFS went in and cleared out the landslide blowdown damage, and I went in and did some trail work after them as well.

I know of a few hikers who went up the Great Gulf Trail and down the Sphinx last weekend and were fine but I am waiting to hear back from them on what they experienced on the Great Gulf Trail.

Have a great hike, let me know if you run into any blowdowns or any problems on the Sphinx Trail and I'll go in there and clean it out.

Thanks, Chris

Thank you so much first for your reply and second for the great trailwork that was done on Sphinx trail (it's clear sailing)!! I had a sinking feeling around 9pm last night that the hike we had planned for today was going to be blowdown hell, but after checking this site this morning, I knew we'd be a-ok!! Phew!!!

Spinx was beautiful, quite the impressive landslide in there....I can't imagine what it looked like before the trailwork. Great Gulf was also amazing with it's views in all directions and steepness. A beautiful loop, for sure!! Thanks again!

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/582899642DeFuxM

Last edited: