SPOT - GPS Locator...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentD22

Reaction score
The SPOT is a GPS locator that allows someone to track you on Google Maps. It also allows you to send simple email message by hitting 1 button stating to your contact "I am ok" and it includes your long/lat. It also has a 1 buttong "911" feature that will email some international emergancy response center that will then notify the local SAR team.

I'm not sure what others think, but I believe devices like this one actually can cause more harm vs. good. Some people with little experiance may start bitting off more than they can chew relying solely on the fact that they have this device.

What are your thoughts?

I co-own a SPOT with Zman. After field testing this device on many hiking adventures in the Whites, it’s fair to say that neither of us would rely on this device to help us in an emergency situation. Our experience seems to be supported by a review in GPS Magazine.

This device is a novel concept, and probably can be very useful & reliable in certain environments, but apparently not the terrain found in the Whites!

I don't know about causing more harm than good....would someone really go out there armed with one of these thinking they no longer have to be prepared or careful? Maybe. I'm not one of those personality-types, so that's hard for me to understand.

I own a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB). The Terrafix, to be precise. It's a more expensive, apparently better system than the SPOT. Because I often hike with my young daughter, I view this as a nice piece of last-resort equipment. Yes, I also carry a winter sleeping bag, bivy, food, fuel, water, foam pad, etc. etc. etc. etc. however, I also like carrying the PLB because it is just one more thing to have just in case. In no way does it give me a false sense of security.

Some people with little experiance may start bitting off more than they can chew

What are your thoughts?
I always bight off more than I chew. It's how I get better. What I can't swallow I just spit out.

I think the SPOT is a great idea but based on what I've read needs more time at the drawing board.

If someone really thinks they should have a SPOT then they should bight the bullet and buy a sat phone.

Well, we'll find out next July in the Yukon 1000 canoe race. A SPOT device is required equipment, and will be used to send an "I am ok" message every 6 hours during the day. We must also verify mandatory night rest stops with a SPOT transmission from the same location at beginning and end of a 6 hour rest period. The rules say a missed transmission may disqualify a crew. We and the race officials are aware of the many negative reports regarding timely activation of SPOT. This will be a giant SPOT experiment. We'll back up the verification with a GPS mark, and though not required we will likely also carry a sat phone.

I tend to agree that such things, GPS and cell phone included, have a dangerous aspect of instilling overconfidence in those inexperienced persons who may have no business going and would not otherwise head into the backcountry. As a matter of fact I usually do not carry a GPS for recreating well off trail in the Adirondacks, much preferring and able to use a map and compass to get me anywhere I need to go. I actually find a GPS to be a distraction when I'm out there having a good time using my brains (wetware) reading the terrain and ever enhancing my skill with M&C. However, I wouldn't think of joining a ranger on a SAR mission without my GPS and comm radio as navigation tools.

For the Y1000, take a look at the Yukon River on Google Earth. In many places it is 2 miles wide braided with dozens of scattered islands and multiple sinuous channels to choose from. There is no way to be competitive in that race without detailed preplanning precise and rapid navigation with GPS. Backed up with map and compass of course. SPOT will be used according to race rules, and a sat phone in consideration of spousal requests.

Last edited:
Well, we'll find out next July in the Yukon 1000 canoe race. A SPOT device is required equipment, and will be used to send an "I am ok" message every 6 hours during the day. We must also verify mandatory night rest stops with a SPOT transmission from the same location over a 6 hour period. The rules say a missed transmission may disqualify a crew. We and the race officials are aware of the many negative reports regarding timely activation of SPOT. This will be a giant SPOT experiment. We'll back up the verification with a GPS mark, and though not required we will likely also carry a sat phone.
Devices such as SPOT will generally be more reliable in open terrain with minimal foliage.

Doug

I always bight off more than I chew. It's how I get better. What I can't swallow I just spit out.

I think the SPOT is a great idea but based on what I've read needs more time at the drawing board.

If someone really thinks they should have a SPOT then they should bight the bullet and buy a sat phone.

I agree, Neil. It is fun to bite off more than one can chew, but for my beloved's sake he thought I should carry a SPOT.

A sat phone weighs waaaaaaaaaay too much for me to even consider - I've done it! It would be easier to get an extention cord for my phone that carry that ball and chain around.

If it's a GPS locator, does it help you find your GPS when you've misplaced it? :p Apparently, it didn't work for the poor soul who lost his/her Rino 530 on Algonquin a few winters ago!

Jay

I don't know about causing more harm than good....would someone really go out there armed with one of these thinking they no longer have to be prepared or careful? Maybe. I'm not one of those personality-types, so that's hard for me to understand.

I own a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB). The Terrafix, to be precise. It's a more expensive, apparently better system than the SPOT. Because I often hike with my young daughter, I view this as a nice piece of last-resort equipment. Yes, I also carry a winter sleeping bag, bivy, food, fuel, water, foam pad, etc. etc. etc. etc. however, I also like carrying the PLB because it is just one more thing to have just in case. In no way does it give me a false sense of security.

Everyone is not like the majority of posters on VFTT. I do think that in the hands of an expieranced hiker this device will not cause that hiker to do anything stupid, but there are a lot of other people that might starting purchasing these products and going deeper, longer, and taking more chances than they would have taken. I'm wondering if anyone thinks these products might give "some" people a false sense of safety (especially the fact that in some conditions like tree cover, box canyon, ect the device won't work). Experianced hikers and backpackers could always argue that a device like this won't cause harm. It's the noobs, the extreme thrill seakers, and other unexperianced hikers that might rely on a device like this or similar devices.

I would be willing to guess that the great majority of VFTT posters know better and wouldn't rely on a device like this for their ultimate safety. Skills and experiance seems to be #1 for most VFTT posters for sure!!!

Last edited:
I agree with most of the posts suggesting that it is not the best equipment for emergencies or the most reliable. However, it can be a useful tool. My wife particularly wants me to get one simply to keep an eye on me when I solo hike. She likes the idea of the tracking and the ability to see where I have been through Google Maps, and the simple "OK" message that can be sent. Anyone else with thoughts for this use?

If we do end up buying it, I do not plan on relying on it as a method of rescue or survival, although it's nice that there is that option. Plus, with the sale at EMS and the $50 rebate, it's a pretty good deal.

Aviarome.

Everyone is not like the majority of posters on VFTT. I do think that in the hands of an expieranced hiker this device will not cause that hiker to do anything stupid, but there are a lot of other people that might starting purchasing these products and going deeper, longer, and taking more chances than they would have taken. I'm wondering if anyone thinks these products might give "some" people a false sense of safety (especially the fact that in some conditions like tree cover, box canyon, ect the device won't work). Experianced hikers and backpackers could always argue that a device like this won't cause harm. It's the noobs, the extreme thrill seakers, and other unexperianced hikers that might rely on a device like this or similar devices.

First, I agree 100% that no one should venture out assuming they're covered because they carry one of these items. One should be prepared, period, and pretend like they DON'T have the GPS locator with them.

That being said --

PLBs are expensive. Would someone shell out big bucks without already being seriously invested in hiking? Cell phones aren't a big deal, folks carry one already, I can see those being relied upon instead of common sense. SPOTS aren't that expensive either, right? I guess I could see those being relied upon too, in a foolhardy fashion by those who don't take hiking that seriously.

Maybe these things should all be a lot more expensive.? I can't see the clueless daytripper paying $500+ for a PLB.

I could be totally wrong, of course, I guess I don't understand why someone would hike thinking that if it gets dark they'll just press a button and rescue will come...I know people like that exist, it just baffles me, is all.

I co-own a SPOT with Zman. After field testing this device on many hiking adventures in the Whites, it’s fair to say that neither of us would rely on this device to help us in an emergency situation. Our experience seems to be supported by a review in GPS Magazine.

This device is a novel concept, and probably can be very useful & reliable in certain environments, but apparently not the terrain found in the Whites!

Agreed. I got one for Christmas and I've used it twice to test it out, both times in the "tracking" mode. It worked great on the highways, sending out a signal every 10 minutes which was transmitted and received, but once I got in the woods it was useless. On 2 hikes, I spent a total of 6 hours in the woods which means that SPOT sent 36 transmissions (one every 10 minutes) and NONE of them were picked up by the satellites.

I'm sure it would be fine for trekking in the desert, or maybe out west where the foliage isn't so dense, but SPOT doesn't seem to be of much help for the New England terrain.

bob

I'm sure it would be fine for trekking in the desert, or maybe out west where the foliage isn't so dense, but SPOT doesn't seem to be of much help for the New England terrain.
bob

Neither 1Happyhiker nor I actually use SPOT anymore and will likely not renew our service this year- great idea but not adequately engineered for the Whites

Just a funny posting ----

My husband was going to give me a SPOT for Xmas. I told him it probably wasn't the best equip't based on some of the reports I'd read here - such as the following one (which I sent to him to confirm our decision not to buy one):

Agreed. I got one for Christmas and I've used it twice to test it out, both times in the "tracking" mode. It worked great on the highways, sending out a signal every 10 minutes which was transmitted and received, but once I got in the woods it was useless. On 2 hikes, I spent a total of 6 hours in the woods which means that SPOT sent 36 transmissions (one every 10 minutes) and NONE of them were picked up by the satellites.

bob

Here is the message that he sent me in return::D

That's funny Inge, check out this report:

---Quote (originally by Little tail feather)---

I own a Spot with 10 other people. It has worked flawlessly. My only criticism is that when 1 of the other 9 people have it in their possession, it never sends an accurate reading out as to my own where abouts. It always reports where they are, not where I am! What good is that. I tried returning the unit but I cant figure out which of the other 9 has it. I've tried tracking it but I'm always a few steps behind. Anyway, when they get that one glitch figured out, it will be a great devise. As for now, I'm way to technical for a device that operates in such a sketchy manner. Talk to you soon.
boob.

I bought one this Dec.
It has worked out fine every time I've put it to the test.
Though I've bought it primarily for paddling I figure it would come in handy in general, esp for sending Ok messages from time to time on a trip.

Not that interested in getting a Sat phone yet. I like the fact the SPOT will continue to send a signal repeatedly over a period of time helping to insure that a message will get through.

So far so good..of course it's a plus that it's highly visible, waterproof and will float...

Not that interested in getting a Sat phone yet. I like the fact the SPOT will continue to send a signal repeatedly over a period of time helping to insure that a message will get through.
You are assuming that it can get a GPS fix. As you may know, some GPS chipsets work well in poor receiving conditions, some don't. I don't know what SPOT uses.

I have read reports of reliable operation and reports of unreliable operation.

Doug