"Spring" dayhike near Santa Fe, NM?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weatherman

Reaction score
South Metro Denver Avatar: Basin Ponds Bullwinkl
Hey-
so here's the thing: I haven't hiked since early January due to family schedules, etc. and I'm DYING to get out. I have a meeting in about 3 weeks in Santa Fe, and I have about 3/4 of a day to play before the meeting starts. The ski areas all have their closing day the day before (argh!), and waiting till the stores open in the morning to rent XC skis would waste half my free time. So, anyone with ideas about a good half-day/dayhike in the area? I'm willing to make an alpine start if need be. Peaks are probably out due to time considerations, lack of snowshoes, and the fact I'll be solo, but who knows. I imagine the snow level will likely be around 9000 feet by that time (4/4).
Thanks in advance.
Weatherman

Taos Skiing

Weatherman you might be in luck skiing. My daughter teaches skiing at Taos Ski Valley. She informs me that the ski area is staying open an extra week(April 10) this season. They have had record snow this season. Rain in CA is Snow in the mountains!

I used to date a girl out there. Beautiful area. I've hiked in the Carlson National Forest near Taos, and it's absolutely gorgeous. Just outside and to the north of Santa Fe is another big state or national forest.... I forget the name. There's supposed to be great hiking there, but I haven't explored it.

Interesting cultural thing about New Mexico.. they eat chili sauce with everything. You can get it red or green.

Best of luck and have fun.

Jemez Springs

Head to Jemez Springs.

Great hikes to natural hot springs.

Thanks!

I'll check the snow report before I go, and consider Jemez Springs if not skiing. I think I might have gone there at night without a flashlight (hiked using the Braille method with some beer aboard) about ten years ago with a bunch of friends. BTW, how much snow did you guys get in S. Maine? Looked like you were getting hammered. We lucked out with an even foot, though I'm really getting tired of shoveling. Off to ski with the kids this PM.
Weatherman

Last edited:
weatherman said:
BTW, how much snow did you guys get in S. Maine? Looked like you were getting hammered.

Here's a picture I took this morning of the "view" outside of my kitchen window. :)

09260biny5.jpg

if you only have 3/4 of a day head on up to the S. Fe ski area (NOT Sandia peak), they have nice hiking trails just before you get there in Hyde State Park. :D

Last edited:
I'm partial to the area north of SF up to the Chama valley. If you can make a very early start, the area up around Abiqui and the Chama river won't disappoint. Sandia is nice too as is the former ghost town of Madrid. the advice you got on the chile is right on. take it from me... don't challenge the menu if it says 'please order green chile if unaccustomed to regionally hot red chile'. C

I've skied Sandia peak and Taos, both great places. As I recall, Sandia Peak has a cable car on the tourist side to get you up the hill. There were signs at the top of mountain about the surrounding hills/mtns. You would have some nice vftt if you were hike in the area. Nothing beats Taos for a day of skiing though. Do it if you can! I was there two winters ago and hiked the summit-- Kachina Peak, from the top lift and skied the face. Sweet, very sweet.

Eat green chile enchiladas while you're there. Mmmmmm.

I have two suggestions. As someone mentioned, there are very nice hiking trails near the Santa Fe ski area, though you will likely need snowshoes. You may be able to hike in a feew miles with boots if if is well packed ( I did six mile or so roundtrip in running shoes one April there; boy were my legs sore later).

The other possibility is to go to Bandelier Monument, a 40 minute drive or so from SF and hike in the canyons . There is a short tourist hike which is pretty cool with the old INdian dwelings, then you can go 13 miles or so through a couple of canyons. ONce you are away form the monument area, you won't see many people and you can turn back whenever you need to. Very beautiful area and different from New England.

Have fun

Ooooh, i forgot about Bandelier - yeah, LameRunner nailed it! If ya got time do Bandelier, otherwise head up the Hyde Park/S.Fe Ski Area road. A third good option nearby is walking around that waterfall area on the reservation before ya get to Chimayo on the high road to Taos - not far out of S. Fe (can't remember the name, arghh), but that's a risk i wouldn't take 2/3 times i've been those moody indians have had it closed ... :confused:

Looks like I have a goldmine.

Thanks everyone! Plenty of good close options. Looks like either Bandelier, or Hyde S. Park (if for some reason I still am in the mood for snow). Or maybe skiing at Santa Fe ski area if it's still open. Sore legs is what I am looking for, actually. It's fun to limp in to a meeting with a sunburn and tell everyone where you've been, as they all drool. I've been to Taos and if I had more time I'd ski there, but time's too short this go-round. If I find anything interesting I'll post. And I am accustomed to "regionally hot red chile". MMMMMmmm...
Chris

If you take the Tram to the top of the Sandia Crest there are some easy trails that traverse the 10,600-ft crest. One of them stays fairly close to the ledges that have some great views of the desert and goes in and out of a very nice spruce forest. There is also a road to the crest. I do not know if it is open. Often you will see mule deer roaming around the area.
Some one else mentioned Jemeze Hot Springs . It is a easy 2 mile hike and the springs are very relaxing place people often camp out there just to soak in the springs. Bandelier is very interesting be sure to check out all the ruins and if you have time climb up to the Rim of the canyon there are some good views of the Sangre De Crsitos to the East and the Jemeze Mountains to the west. The rim isa good lace to watch the sunset.
If you drive up to Santa Fe Ski area there are numerous short trails and some go to some excellent views they are sort of popular at sunset as they are to the west.
As for the Chile, If you like it really hot ask for both green and red chilies, Check out the Coyote Cafe