Spring Hike to Monroe for Thor's 4k #20 5-22-11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bear

Reaction score
Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
After catching up to Mats and others at Barnes Field Saturday night Thor and I borrowed my in-laws place in Milan while they were away. I figured this would have me poised to cross paths on the Presis with Mats Sunday. I had plans of hiking Monroe and when I found out he was changing to a south to north traverse I was skeptical I would get to the ridge in time!

I set the alarm for 5am and slept right through that. Luckily the birds were singing early and I only lost an hour. We left from the lower parking lot and headed up Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail. The brook was loud but the crossings were all moderate and it was a fun day with alot of folks out enjoying the weather. Mostly clear and even some tanning time! There were alot of trees down in the section just below the Gem Pool and it must have had serious flooding and ice. A week earlier Skip had posted that the monorail was almost down to the Gem Pool. Its practically gone now with just 3 or 4 areas of ice and snow. Thor made the most of any snow he found and romped around like a puppy! Its great to have him along and gives me new found energy to try to stay with him on the trail.

We took the side trip to the beautiful gorge falls and pool. On the way up the cascades Thor began to relax around the water more and also become more agressive in how steep the paths were he chose up the slab rocks. Around the bend from the 1/4 mile to the hut sign we met up with Mtn Pa and decided to enjoy an early lunch together. Mats and Frodo had already headed to Washington and it was about 11am. It was great to just kick back and enjoy the day!

After seeing Mike we went to the hut and then visited the first lake before climbing to Monroe. The top of Monroe was in the clouds when we first reached it but cleared out when we arrived. Most people had headed for Washington and skipped it so we had the peak to ourselves and just relaxed. I bare-booted back down the trail and took a slow pace since I have had some issues with plantar fascitis, which is basically tight tendons in your heel. Every once in a while the pain spikes and makes you catch yourself. Its a nuisance but hardly a reason not to be out. Thor on the otherhand was even more playful on the descent and would run wildly down the ice and snow even purposely skidding at times! This was his 20th NH4K and if he wasn't dragging me along he would probably be done them!;)

Some pics of the day:http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/580246141SAkRZg

Great pics Dave!
:D
Looks like you and Thor are really enjoying hiking together!

Thor is going to wonder what happen to all his snow soon....:rolleyes:

There were alot of trees down in the section just below the Gem Pool and it must have had serious flooding and ice.

Hi Dave - sounds like it was a great day out! Thanks for the info on blowdowns. I spent 9 or 10 hours working on the first mile of the trail last weekend and will tackle this section ASAP (mile 2). Worse conditions than expected in mile 1. And I thought all the trees came down last year...

I'd always appreciate hearing about specific trail problems on the Ammo, especially once I've given it the once-over.

Scott, It was very noticeable where you had done the trailwork and much appreciated! I always enjoy Ammo Trail and the side trip to the Gorge!

Ed, We look forward to meeting you two out there as well! Sorry I have not really kept up very well with the trip reports. Thor is up to his #20 on the NH4Ks and knows we are going when I start to pack the Jeep!;)