Spruce traps... snowshoe/ski/snowboarding alert

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul ron

Reaction score
A SAR colleague went upside down in a tree well in WA wearing snowshoes and a pack. She was utterly unable to free herself. Without her chest pack radio, she might also have been unable to summon help. We thought it was sort of humorous at the time. Now not so much, after hearing of the fatalities.

Excellent topic!

I had an experience with a tree well while snowshoeing off-trail a few years ago. Although I anticipated the possibility, I had to get through an area of thick spruce. I slid into a well, as opposed to falling in head-first, and found myself clutching branches with my face at snow level, feet dangling down in the well with one snowshoe caught in the branches. It took a lot of time and energy to work out of it.

Any tips on identifying/avoiding tree wells? I assume that in deep snow, any spruce tree could be trouble, especially on a steep slope. Is the uphill side more dangerous than the downhill side of the tree?

forestnome said:
Any tips on identifying/avoiding tree wells?
I wish I knew. The deep ones are my biggest fear when bushwhacking solo in more remote areas.

I'll tell you how I get out of the tough ones.

I take off a snowshoe, and use it as a shovel/paddle so that I can swim/climb/roll up, by putting more snow beneath me.

Usually, by the third or fourth head-deep one, I'll call it quits for the day, and head to smoething easier.

forestnome said:
Any tips on identifying/avoiding tree wells? I assume that in deep snow, any spruce tree could be trouble, especially on a steep slope. Is the uphill side more dangerous than the downhill side of the tree?
Best way I know of finding them is to send someone else ahead... :)

In some cases, one may be able to avoid regions of deep snow. Snow is frequently deeper on the downwind side of a high spot. (Tuckerman Ravine is the extreme example in the NE.)

Doug

I have personal experience with a few of those things. They can be kinda scary.

If you're traversing an area that is TOTALLY covered in snow - there's no sign of any vegetation... there isn't much you can do beyond probing with poles or, as was suggested, sending someone else out in front (preferably someone heavier).

If there's vegetation visible and it's possible to fairly surmise that a good deal of the vegetation is below the surface of the snow, I try to move AWAY from that area. There's no guarantee that doing so will avoid an undetected trap, but there's no need to walk near where a trap is likely to exist.

Traps are one more reason why it's good to travel with a group - and make it a point to keep an eye on one another (the buddy system comes to mind).

paul ron said:
Even though we aren't seeing much snow this year, I thought this would be good info to pass along.
I...
check it out...
http://www.skylinehospital.com/pt/Sports/Coaches_Corner/Snowboarding/NARSID/narsid.htm
Reading about these accounts sent a shiver down my spine. I think I would completely lose it if I was helplessly stuck upside down in a spruce trap!

Once I purposely jumped into a spruce trap to see how hard it was to get out. In that situation, I was upright, with the snow up to my armpits with 3 other hikers standing by to pull me out. I was able to get out, but I can see how being alone and upside down would have made matters much, much worse.

I dropped into one just off the summit of Starr King a couple of years ago when we had a lot of snow. I went in over my head and stopped short when my avalanche shovel wedges sideways at the top(how convenient is that?).I wasn't scared as much as amazed . I yanked on the shovel while my feet were still off the bottom,and the shovel fell in with me.After about 10 minutes of digging,I worked my way out.
The most fun,of course,is falling in with snowshoes.

Camped on the side of a ridge(same year) and dug a boot pit in front of the tent. Mrs KD was in the tent talking to me while I was stomping the floor of the boot pit. Suddenly I'm just head and shoulders sticking up through the boot pit floor-and Mrs KD is laughing hysterically!