Squam Range Redlining - Plus a Snake and a Rabbit!!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
May 26, 2012: Doublehead Mtn, Mt Squam, Mt Percival - a sample of 2000-footers along the backbone of the Squam Range. Went up Doublehead Trail, took a right onto Crawford-Ridgepole Trail down to Sandwich Notch Road, reascended Crawford-Ridgepole back up and across to Mt Percival and back to Doublehead and down. Another fun day seeing noone except on the summit of Percival!!!

The minute I opened the car door the mosquitoes (“piranhas of the woods”) swarmed. Deet worked OK but I had to reapply often and it wasn’t completely effective. The bugs were BAD. In general, the trails were really scenic but the ridge had more ups and downs than I was anticipating. I also had some trouble finding the blazes along the ridge - many are very light and difficult to see. I did a LOT of retracing to the last blaze seen. Additionally, I forgot how tiring it is to hike in the heat. I tried to go light and didn’t carry enough water but found a decent puddle along the ridge from which to quaff. It tasted earthy and yummy!!!!

Along the way I was privileged to find wildlife I’d never seen before!!!! Then, on the way home I took an AWESOME dip in the Baker River under the Smith Millenium (Covered) Bridge – first swim of the year – YAY! Cleaned off all that sweat and bug juice. And after that I found only 1 tick on me – behind my knee.

Here are some of the highlights!!!! I hope you enjoy!!!

At the start of the Doublehead Trail there are many beautiful stone walls and an area of HUGE trees.
P1010274-wolftree.jpg

Cellar hole along the way – very cool:
P1010325-cellarhole.jpg

Once up along the ridge, I found this rabbit/hare. I never see them so I was surprised. It was quite large:
P1010290-hare.jpg

One of the many steep sections leading back to the ridge:
P1010297-uprockthisway.jpg

I’m not a person to take tree bark photos but this was the absolute DEEPEST bark I’d ever seen and the tree was HUGE! I should have focused on the lower part but you get the idea!!!!!
P1010296deepbark.jpg

Along the ridge, some very pretty moss along the trail:
P1010286-treadway.jpg

And another mossy treadway:
P1010293-mossytrail.jpg

Approaching Mt Squam – like a rock pyramid:
P1010317-topofsquam.jpg

I’m also not one to post flower pictures, but, this cluster of lady slippers was amazing:
P1010316-ladyslippers.jpg

At one point I almost stepped on this – I thought it was trash or something.
P1010302-ringnecksnake2.jpg

When I looked closer, I notice it was a snake unlike any I’d seen before!!! It turned out to be a ring-necked snake! How cool is that???? (There were quite a few garter snakes on the ledges as well!!!!)
P1010309-ringnecksnake1.jpg

Last edited:
cont.

And finally, some shots along the ridge. It’s not all that open, but, there are frequent restricted views and lots of spots to enjoy the scenery!
P1010314-moreridgewalk.jpg

P1010311-alongtheridge.jpg

P1010323-pondalongridge.jpg

A nice and enjoyable trip report. pics were very nice. I have never seen a ring neck must have been a good experience seeing that one. Now i will be able to recognize one. Thanks for sharing.

Very interesting. Iv'e never seen a snake like that before. I have seen one of those rabbits though. We were sitting on the ledges of N Kinsman one spring day and one popped out of the scrub an watched us for quite a while. It even let me take a few pics until I tried to get a close up.

Great pictures. thanks for sharing. Love the one of the snake. I found a red-bellied in a tarp in my yard yesterday.

Nice trip.

Sure fire way to beat the crowds (on a holiday weekend) in the Squam Range is to hike the majority in the area you did. Most folks only stick to the Morgan/Percival area and neglect the rest. Also, I've often seen (and almost stepped on) sunning Garter snakes in the Squams, but never the snake you observed. Very cool.

I'd guess the low elevation coupled with the sunny south-facing ledges make it ideal for them to warm up.

Last edited:
Hi Becca,
Always love your trip reports and pics. The snake pic was very cool, never saw one of those. Cheers, Stu

Thanks guys!!! Glad you enjoyed!!!! I was pretty excited seeing that snake!!!! I thought it was a piece of old grey tubing or cording - kind of wrinkly looking, but then I saw that it had a head. It was actually quite small/thin. IT wasn't until I took a closer look at the pic that I saw the underbelly color!!!!