SS NEHH-W finish on Moosilauke via Beaver Brook 3-17-13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombadil

Reaction score
3-17-13
Even I wasn't sure if I could do it, 35 peaks in a week and a half to finish up a single season NEHH-W list. But after a 6 pack success I left Moosilauke for the finish so I could get some Dartmouth friends to join me for a leisurely afternoon hike up Moosilauke. We started up pretty late, almost 2pm but found the trail to be very well beaten out and we had no trouble doing the hike in microspikes. Just about everyone we encountered were carrying ice axes for some odd reason. The mountain was firmly in the clouds when we showed up but as we hit the ridge a mile or so from the summit the clouds cleared and the air seemed reasonably calm and wondered if the winds had died down too. They didn't. It was a pretty fierce 60+ mph wind to do the stumble out to the summit and snap a quick picture and retreat back to the woods. With the little bit of a light snow to lub up the hard crust it was great glissading down Beaver Brook. Hope everyone had a great Winter! Thanks Alec, Devin, and Aaluk for the company on a fun hike. Trip report to follow...

Pat
pcushing21 at yahoo dot com