Stabilicers Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
I know there have been several threads regarding stabilicers/yak trax, but I have a question. I realized today that several of the screws in my stabilicers are gone! At some point during yesterdays hike, they became dislodged (which would explain my slipping and sliding on the way down). It is easy for them to become dislodged and fall off? This was really upsetting to me because I thought the screws were supposed to last a long time and that they were very rugged. Well, over half of them are gone and it really made me upset.

grouseking

Hi - I used to lose them, but found out that they rarely dislodge if you screw them on tight after every hike. Using an electric drill with a screwdiver bit makes it really fast. Did a 15 mile long hike on Saturday (mostly wearing Stablicers), and did not lose one screw!

Regards,
Marty

Same thing happened to me on Saturday--pulled them out of the bag and noticed how many were gone. That'll teach me to check them after each hike, I guess. :eek:

I put a bit of ShoeGoo on the threads and (gently) tightened the screws. No screws lost on Ascutney on Sat, but I probably only did a mile or so with the Stabilicers on.

We shall see how well the screws come out when it is time to replace them...

Doug

DougPaul said:
I put a bit of ShoeGoo on the threads and (gently) tightened the screws. No screws lost on Ascutney on Sat, but I probably only did a mile or so with the Stabilicers on.

We shall see how well the screws come out when it is time to replace them...

Doug

Interesting thought...

Screws aren't too expensive are they? Like 5 bucks a bag hopefully....

I wonder if using them on bare rock on South Moose Mtn destroyed them last weekend? :eek: It kept me from slipping on the mud because it was 70....

grouseking

I think DougPaul's suggestion on the Shoe Goo is the way to go - overtightening them can be a problem as you may expand the hole and make them more prone to come out again, or you may not be able to get them out...I had to toss a pair of golf shoes once because I over tightened the cleats - could not get them out at all - maybe this is why I hike now and do not golf! :D
I lost four on descent from Garfield - I did not notice it...

Last week's thread on screw replacement

sapblatt said:
I think DougPaul's suggestion on the Shoe Goo is the way to go - overtightening them can be a problem as you may expand the hole and make them more prone to come out again, or you may not be able to get them out...
Still don't know what will happen when I intentionally try to remove a screw--if the Shoe Goo makes too good a bond, then there will be problems when the time to replace a worn screw arrives.

Last week's thread on screw replacement
Credit for the idea of using Shoe Goo should go to Tim Seaver in the above thread.

Doug

if they aren't biting good in the hole you can put something in the hole like a short piece of wire or toothpick to make the hole tighter

has anyone tried lockwashers to keep them from loosening in the first place (there are several types of toothed and helical (split ring) - - my guess would be that a split ring type would be best, but spread it in the upward direction a little more (since you are holding against rubber and spreading would put more pressure on it)...