Stainless Steel Water Bottle Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 40oz standard size Nalgene is 3.5" diameter and 8" high which the website says is the size of the bottle*

Jay

*good thing it says reusable... ;) :D

Matt, we just got these in the other day, and yes they do fit the standard bottle cozy. Biggest downside I think is that they are not insulated, so if you use them becareful if you are using them with hot liquids. And the other problem will be when you use them in the summer with cooler liquids, it will get condensate on the outside.

It is a nice bottle, the lid is attached with a piece of cord.

Stop by and take a look at one.

Thanks for the response. Kevin, I impulsively went ahead and ordered one online, assuming that no local stores had them yet. If I like it and buy another one, I'll probably get it locally and save the postage. I will use this primarily for hot liquids. For three years I've been pouring boiling water into Nalgene and I don't want to do that anymore. I know they have said that their products are safe and don't leach, etc. But I know I taste plastic whenever I put hot water in Nalgene. So whether or not it's toxic, it's no longer my cup of tea. I discovered that I actually already had something like this-a smaller steel container that holds about 27 oz. Yesterday I put boiling water in that and put it in a cozy for a bike ride. It worked great.

Matt

Matt, BTW, since you mention bike. SIGG (some european company) makes metal bottles that fit standard bike water bottle holders. Nalgenes or nalgene sized bottles don't fit most standard bike water bottle mounts... I've seen them for sale at STP, if you're curious. I have one that I don't really use that much.

And I highly recommend steel water bottle holders and not aluminum because the AL makes all your plastic water bottles scuffed...

Jay

Jay H said:
Matt, BTW, since you mention bike. SIGG (some european company) makes metal bottles that fit standard bike water bottle holders.
A caution about the Sigg bottles--they are very easy to confuse with MSR fuel bottles. (In fact they used to be sold as fuel/water bottles.)

Doug

I have an old Sigg bottle I bought for a fuel bottle. I had no idea they sold them for water, too. Mine has the same thread and virtually identical cap as an MSR or Optimus bottle and can be used with the same pumps.

TomD said:
I have an old Sigg bottle I bought for a fuel bottle. I had no idea they sold them for water, too. Mine has the same thread and virtually identical cap as an MSR or Optimus bottle and can be used with the same pumps.
My suggestion is that if you have any Sigg bottles, you use them for fuel only to minimize the chance of confusion.

There is a hazard with using a Sigg bottle as a fuel bottle if your stove pressurizes the fuel bottle (eg MSR stoves). They can fail at the thread end if you pump the pressure up too high. Needless to say, if the stove is running at the time, it can get a bit messy...

I have some old Sigg bottles. I use an MSR bottle on the stove and refill it from the Sigg bottles as needed.

Doug

DougPaul said:
A caution about the Sigg bottles--they are very easy to confuse with MSR fuel bottles. (In fact they used to be sold as fuel/water bottles.)

Doug
catalyst_studios_sigg.jpg

msr_fuel_bottles.jpg

Yes, please don't connect your stove to the teddy bear Sigg bottle by mistake :D

Nah, DP is right although nowadays I rarely see the fuel Sigg bottles around and their drinking line is so flashy that it's harder to mess up (unless you're cooking in pitch dark and grab for the wrong bottle). But you should not be using the MSR/Sigg fuel bottles for drinking or the Sigg drinking ones for fuel - their coatings are completely different and not good for the other use.

Sigg bottles are indestructible (they won a competition where golf balls were shot out of a canon at several water bottles) but I rarely use mine, and never in the winter.

And to me, honestly, the weight of the Guyot Designs SS bottle keeps me from getting it, it just feels heavy - I'd rather taste plastic or keep adding tea bags to my water to mask the flavor.

Nalgene: 6.3 oz
Guyot Designs: 12.9 oz

Last edited:
I never taste plastic in my Nalgene. Maybe because I am so used to plastic from the bicycle water bottles? I don't drink hot liquids out of them, however. I seem to recall, when they became 'all the rage' (not just for hiking) that a selling point was the health/taste benefit (real or perceived, but so-marketed) over other plastic containers.

Tim

Kevin said:
It is a nice bottle, the lid is attached with a piece of cord.
If anyone likes the lid- before they made the bottle, Guyot Designs made just The Lid, which you could/can get to replace the flimsier Nalgene stock one.

cbcbd said:

Nah, DP is right although nowadays I rarely see the fuel Sigg bottles around and their drinking line is so flashy that it's harder to mess up (unless you're cooking in pitch dark and grab for the wrong bottle). But you should not be using the MSR/Sigg fuel bottles for drinking or the Sigg drinking ones for fuel - their coatings are completely different and not good for the other use.
[/QUOTE]
The old Sigg bottles were either natural aluminum or deep red colored*. But as (the other) Doug notes, the colors are a bit hard to see in the dark.

* IIRC, the insides of the red ones were anodized so they would react less with flavored drinks.

BTW, aluminum reacts with acids so it is not a good material for storing acid drinks (some fruit juices, tea, etc).

Doug

cbcbd said:
And to me, honestly, the weight of the Guyot Designs SS bottle keeps me from getting it, it just feels heavy - I'd rather taste plastic or keep adding tea bags to my water to mask the flavor.

Nalgene: 6.3 oz
Guyout Designs: 12.9 oz

I too had to "weigh" :rolleyes: this decision, but I decided to try the steel for a while. I'm not exactly looking to go ultralight in the cold months anyway.

Matt

My Nalgenes are polycarbonate while the bicycle bottles are HDPE. The latter definitely leaves a taste in water, even when cold... As I said earlier, I haven't put boiling water in a Nalgene yet... I can say that in an EMS cozy, I put warm tap water in a Nalgene on the trip to Owl's Head and it had a trace of slush in it after 13 hours (summit was 18 degrees) while down to the last few sips. It's not, I acknowledge, -35 and above tree line...

Tim

I think all the HDPE bottles are translucent or opaque, like Tim's most of the basic bike waterbottles are HDPE and will taste plastically if you put hot liquids in them.. (which I don't)...

Jay

mcorsar said:
Not sure, I'll have to check when I get home. They are the standard, transparent, colored, 1 liter bottles.
Transparent would be polycarbonate. HDPE is translucent. (Also noted by Jay H.)

Polycarbonate (Lexan): http://www.rei.com/product/402065
* hard
* clear
* often tinted
* purported not to pick up taste from flavored drinks
* (There have been reports that some polycarbonate bottles leach bisphenol A (may cause chromosome damage) into the water. This may or may not be a problem with Nalgene polycarbonate bottles.)

HDPE (high density polyethylene): http://www.rei.com/product/402049
* flexes
* translucent
* generally white
* picks up some flavor from flavored drinks
* tastes plasticy if you leave water in it for extended periods
* (There was a false report that Nalgene HDPE bottles leach BPA into the water. Nalgene uses a food-grade HDPE for which this is not a problem.)
* (most biking bottles are HDPE)

The reason that I asked is that the word Nalgene alone is not an adequate description for this discussion.

Doug

Last edited: