Star/planet in the southwest sky?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerhead

Reaction score
I've been noticing and gazing at this star/planet in the southwest sky that glimmers these really cool colors. I just wondering if anyone knows what planet/star this is. Maybe aliens sending us a signal.
Thanx. Greg.

hammerhead said:
I've been noticing and gazing at this star/planet in the southwest sky that glimmers these really cool colors. I just wondering if anyone knows what planet/star this is. Maybe aliens sending us a signal.
Thanx. Greg.
Greg, what time are you viewing? If it's early evening then you are seeing the star Sirius in the southwest. The ancients knew it as the "dog star". It is the brightest visible star (other than the sun) we can see from earth. Jupiter is rising in the east and also very bright. Saturn will be more overhead toward the west, not nearly as bright. The "really cool colors" indicate the air overhead is turbulent, acting as a prism and causing the white light from the star to be broken up into constituent colors. For astronomers this is a bad thing.

Go to http://heavens-above.com and click on the whole sky chart. Observe, explore, enjoy. What you have seen is nothing new, it's just that most people don't pay attention to what is always around them.

Last edited:
I've been viewing this star at about 9:30pm. I think it to the right of Orions belt? Is that the belt with the sword hanging off?

If it is to Orion's right, it is probably Aldeberan (Alpha Tauri ) the brightest star in Taurus. Look carefully and see if it flashes red and orange. Aldeberan is half-way between Orion and the Pleaides.
After sunset on Monday, the crescent Moon will be just below the Pleaides, very beautiful.

If it is to the left of Orion, then it's Sirius (Alpha Canis Majoris) , the star that Nessmuk nicely describes. It shows mostly white and blue flashes.

forestnome said:
If it is to Orion's right, it is probably Aldeberan (Alpha Tauri ) the brightest star in Taurus. Look carefully and see if it flashes red and orange. Aldeberan is half-way between Orion and the Pleaides.
After sunset on Monday, the crescent Moon will be just below the Pleaides, very beautiful.

If it is to the left of Orion, then it's Sirius (Alpha Canis Majoris) , the star that Nessmuk nicely describes. It shows mostly white and blue flashes.

That is a killer photo! :D