Stashing Gear Trailside

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
Though I'd start a separate thread about this, since so many brought it up on the lost snowshoe thread, and I've been wondering a lot about this lately. The other day myself and four others left full backpacks on the lookout shelf on the summit of Black Dome (Catskills) while we walked the short distance (.8 mile) over to the summit of Thomas Cole Mt. Another one of our group, plus four other guys, had already left their packs and were returning from Cole as we were on our way. This was the first time I had ever ditched gear. It felt pretty safe (and it was) since it was on a summit in winter and it was for a short time. However, I can think of many more scenarios in future where I'd like to leave gear that I might not be as sure about.

There's a lot that's self-evident. For instance, I agree w/ the remark someone made on the lost snowshoes thread about greater distance from the road usually = greater integrity. I'm just wondering if anyone wants to share experiences, advice, places to avoid, etc. All of this of course also applies to leaving a full camp while dayhiking.

Matt

I hike frequently in Harriman park near NYC. In this large (10 mi x 20 mi) park it is common to find lost or intentionally left behind gear. Some of this gear gets nawed upon by local critters for salt and soon becomes litter. I've made a habit of carrying out this stuff, washing it and donating it to charity.

That said, in other areas, I have seen stuff that appeared to be stashed and left it in place. Though I often considered moving gear to teach people that they should not leave their packs (their survivial equipment) when heading off to a subsidiary peak. A personal belief and one often stated as a mistake in the Appalachia accidents section

Of course there is a question of honesty and theft. I have heard about gear being stolen out of leantos in the adks and this is enough to concern me. When I do stash a gear, I usually hide it. Especially if it is in a popular area. In less popular areas I just leave it on the trail.

I often will cache a liter of water for long "in and out" hikes, like Allen or the Seward from the winter trailhead. My insulator used for this practice is label "Water Cache, Please do not disturb" I've had no problems with this even on popular trails when a water bottle insulator is a nice find.

In general, in winter, when peakbagging, I think that we are a tight group of similar spirits. I think that stashed gear is pretty save as we would not want to be in a situation where our gear was stolen. As soon as you expose your gear to more people without the same spirit, you are more likely to get stuff stolen.

JHS

The one time my friend and stashed gear at Slant Rock leanto to slackpack Haystack/Marcy/Skylight, we hung our bags (as it had food in it) off into the woods as if we were going to be sleeping in the leanto. No problems when we returned to pick it up and head to Bushnell Falls. Like mentioned elsewhere and in the L&F thread, if it's obviously stashed then more likelyhood it would be left alone. I.E. I've come across XC skis before in the catskills that were stuck into the ground standing up in an "X" pattern. I don't think they fell out of the sky like that. :) But sometimes I'll find articles of clothes or stuff and stuff around and I may pack it out if it appears to be trash. Like say one mitten or a camera bag, or empty bottles. Fairly likely they're just trash or fell out.

Jay

I've had gear stolen...

A few years back while whitewater kayaking one time I brought 2 kayaks my old standby (a Savage Maniac) and a new creek boat (a Riot). Wanting to try the new riot out first I left the Savage on the shore. It was pretty isolated so I covered it with some branches and took off down river. This was Vermont's West River in March so there weren't a lot of people around so I felt pretty safe. Well anyway I got to the takeout, my buddy & I loaded our kayaks into his vehicle & returned for another run... this time in the Savage. Well... you guessed it.. no Savage. From that time on I brought a steel cable & lock them to trees if I'm ever going to leave them... even if just for a short lunch.

Another time while scuba diving, we arrived at our divesite and there was another boat on the site... I didn't recognize it and it wasn't a "local" boat. I did get the name though. Now any of you who dive know diving a shipwreck at almost 200' is a very advanced "technical" dive and requires you carry redundant everything as well as a different assortment of gasses for your decompression stops.

Well to make a long story short I had a one of my Deco cylinders stolen that I had left at my anchor for my decompression stops. Fortunately I had plenty of gas in my main and the stage bottles that I was carrying, so I only had to recalculate my deco stops for the gas mixture I was carrying and decompress for about a 45 minutes longer (my deco stop would have been much shorter with the 80% O2 I had in my deco cylinder). Now this a**hole, if he was diving the wreck, should know that he's f**cking with someones life by taking the deco cylinder. Unless he just thought "wow... look at that...someone forgot a tank on the bottom" and took it figureing he had a great find.

Anyway I contacted the Captain, who contacted all his clients that day, who of course disavowed any knowledge of the incident. Just goes to show... it can happen any time and any where now-a-days.

Peace out,
Capt. Jim

ps: to all you divers out there... lesson learned...always carry WITH YOU all the gas you'll need to complete the dive safely. Never leave your deco gas at the up line. Even if no one steals it (of "finds" it) something may happen during the dive that causes you to change your plan underwater and you don't end up going back to the up line... then you're stuck doing your ascent without sufficient gas!

CaptainJim,

Maybe in the future you could cover your deco cylinders with leaves.

I've never had any trouble with drops far from the road, even in busy cabins and shelters in WMNF, especially the RMC sites. I never leave camera, keys, or wallet, though.

Last edited:
I just sprayed my monitor with coffee , thanks

Don't forget to hang your Decos away from camp at night.

Stashing gear

I know during Tim Seavers ultra he stashed gear at hundreds of locations through the whites weeks in advance. He did it in geocaching style, where he hid his gear under rocks, leaves, behind trees. It was never visible to your meandering hiker. He always had it marked on a map as well... detailed info about where he left his stuff.

I plan on doing the same.

Perhaps if your going to stash gear somewhere.. you could attach a note to it stating your coming back for it? I always have a piece of paper and pen with me on hikes for accident reports if need be and have used THAT paper to jot a note down and attach to gear.

Cruising past Lake Colden last summer I came across two large packs that someone had stashed while I assume the owners climbed Algonquin -- looked like hikers had left the packs alone but one very large bear did not leave the packs alone. That bear was in the middle of a very satisfying meal as I approached.

If you stash your pack, make sure you empty it of food...

for the whites in winter, I think it is pretty safe. Most people out in the winter are decent human beings that know what it might mean to you if its stolen. But there are jackasses everywhere.

Like mention, I have routinly left stuff in huts, etc... I think I might have stashed my pack once at the bottom of washington summit cone and went up w/o it. can't remember.

I would never do it in summer, I used to leave my wallet and keys in an unlocked car at trailheads all over the whites up until last year - even overnighters. Now, I am much more scared of a break-in than losing stuff on the trail - so now I take it w/ me.

I have routinely left full backpacks stashed while making side trips to summit various peaks. Points made about removing food are very good, even squirells in non-bear country can make a mess of nice equipment. :eek:

Also, I always take the care to walk off the trail quite a bit and, since their invention, mark my location on my GPS. In 30 years of backpacking I have never had a single loss.

Charlie

I always wondered "...think of the effort it took to get this backpack here" If some other shmuk wants to carry it out along with his stuff, then good luck to him. Besides, I will probably catch up with him and, well, you know... :D

I occasionally pack a stash ... I mean, stash a pack to make a dash to some objective. More likely to do it backpacking when I can remove one of the pockets to use as fanny pack containing some essentials.

A trusting soul

Sherpa John:
I always have a piece of paper and pen with me on hikes for accident reports if need be and have used THAT paper to jot a note down and attach to gear.

Well then what do you use if you have an accident?? :rolleyes:

Jasonst:
I always wondered "...think of the effort it took to get this backpack here" If some other shmuk wants to carry it out along with his stuff, then good luck to him.

Jason, this has always been my rationale for ditching. I am ditching it for a reason. Anyone who wants to steal it will have to carry it, unless he has his getaway moose idling outside ;)

The West Bond trail strikes me as a good place to stash, as well Osceola if you are doing a there and back again. Same for Carrigain, Mt Tom, etc etc...

Panama Jack said:
Sherpa John:
I always have a piece of paper and pen with me on hikes for accident reports if need be and have used THAT paper to jot a note down and attach to gear.

Well then what do you use if you have an accident?? :rolleyes:

two sticks and rub em together. :cool:

We have stashed gear at shelters in the Whites,and at platforms,and never had a problem in the winter. I think there's some truth to the farther in you go,the less likely the problem. I figure that most people in the backcountry in winter are pretty serious types,and not likely to mess with other peoples gear. We have lent gloves to people on the trail,and found them under our w/wiper with a thank you note. I guess there's just a sense of community among winter hikers/campers(just look at the 7.5 gathering!) Stay at one
of the huts,and almost always,someone will offer to share food or gear if needed.
We have also left gear on the islands in Maine when we are doing multiday trips and never a problem.

I have stashed gear quite frequently, usually in a tent, sometimes in a lean-to, but I never feel too sure about it, and I certainly wouldn't stake my life on some strangers honesty. As far as stashing your whole pack just to avoid carrying it to the summit, that is dumb and lazy. The marmots at the base of Whitney are growing fat on hikers who stash their packs, and I don't blame the marmots. Part of proper preparation is being ready for a worst case scenario, such as you have to retreat off the mountain in another direction or even some animal or thief dragging off your pack. If you have to stash your skis, because you can't climb with them, hide them well and be prepared to do without. Leaving temptation in plain view is creating an attractive nuisance, and the person that suffers the loss is almost as guilty as the person, or animal, that takes advantage of your carelessness.

I have left my skis in plain sight numerous times without one incident. I suppose that someday they might get stolen, but I like like to beleive that people out where I'm at are a bit more honest than the guys running around in the concrete jungles I am escaping from. Myself and one other stashed our skis on the busiest trail in the ADK high peaks last week while we snowshoed up phelps. They were exactly as we left them. Then we had an incredible ski out. I have left my AT gear below a few summits while I go up to tag the top, and that has never been bothered either, but I do get alot of questions about how I plan to ski the rest down. Folks usually think you are a bit insane...

Last June when Funkyfreddy and I were backpacking the Killkenny Ridge Trail, we dumped our heavy overnight packs at the place where the cutoff goes up to the Horn. We figured no one would hike all the way up there and then try to lug a 35lb pack off. it would have been different at a trail head, but mostly people who get more than a mile into the hills will have their own pack and not want to steal (and lug) another one. Lighter stuff like snowshoes are another story.

Just watch out for places where woods roads intersect trails and you see ATV or jeep tracks. That may imply locals out for fun and I'd be very careful in such places. There's a notorious spot on the LT in Vermont (by Governor Clement Shelter, I think) where that is a problem. Since they are already away from other eyes, it may be worse there than at a highway trailhead.

Pb

I tend to think that out on the trail folks are more honest. When I was secion hiking the AT in NJ & PA, a couple of times I ditched my old mountain bike and a pair of sneakers 25 yards or so in the woods from the trailhead and locked the wheels of the bike with a cable lock. I would just leave the biked laying down in the brush or weeds, drive to another trailhead and hike back to it (In honesty, I picked this tip up from Pete Hickey). Never a problem.

Also too many times to remember I have dropped packs for a 15 minute hike on a side trail with no ill happenings. I think I would be more cautious in true bear country, though.

i've often ditched a heavy backpack for a quick side trip bringing only essentials in a small bag; first aid, water, snacks, camera and any other appropiate sundries. i'm not usually too worried as others said about somone runnin' off with my heavy pack. it might be comical to see someone tryin to run carrying 2 heavy packs. the more easily accessable the area, the more worries. i make an effort not leave my pack anywhere obnoxious too, like the middle of the trail, middle of view etc. i've had to step over packs before just left on thr trail...not cool.

i don't trust trailheads. never. the day before i parked at the 19 milebrook trailhead for a 4 day trip there were several break-ins and randomn vandalism. they are too easy a target for too many would-be thieves. i lock it all up and leave nothing at all in plain sight. always take keys and wallet (small ziplock with id, atm card, cash) it really sucks having to deal with all this BS...
but.....i do believe in the backcountry its all good, the deeper the better. i'd like to believe that most everyone back there are good people. it is a community that should be lookin' out for eachother. you have to really make an effort to be out there. i have never had a problem(typed with one hand as the other was knocking on desk) leaving gear anywhere.