Status on the Neversink bridge?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtq

Reaction score
Has anyone been across the Neversink on the Peekamoose-Table (PT, blue) trail lately? Am hoping to head up the Fisherman's path to Lone Mtn on Friday and maybe also Table on the way out, but am curious about the conditions in the area (how much snow is left?), and particularly if the bridge is still in good shape. Thanks for any information.

Kurt

Kurt, I'll try to let you know by tomorrow night....I'm either hiking Lone/Rocky or Witt/Corn/Slide tomorrow and the other ones on Saturday..if your around your welcome to join...moderate speed no records being broken...shoot me a pm...

March 10

I led a group to Lone/Rocky on March 10 and the bridge was in good condition. It has been built up much higher by the ADK trail crew and there are two very large logs in place, but no handrail.

Kurt, I crossed over the bridge yesterday...very interesting going over with one leg a few inches higher than the other....the right side log vibrated pretty good.....went to Rocky/Lone.....Jerry led and he post holed pretty often I followed in his steps and where he didn't post hole I went through because i'm app 35 lbs heavier than him.....trees were loaded with ice, snow at least 4 inches.....crampons were carried but not used....we did post hole deeper in certain spots coming down from Rocky....I'm not a trail expert, but hope this helps...David

We hiked Lone and then Table yesterday (Friday), thanks for the info. We found conditions at elevation to be very hard packed but with 2 inches of fresh powder from Thursday night. We used crampons much of the time and they were very helpful. In the valley it was a little softer but not enough to cause significant postholing.

The bridge is in fine shape, but as coldfeet implies, the walk over can be harrowing. I used one log rather than span the two to avoid the uneven height and bouncing. However, at least one in our party didn't enjoy the bridge crossing much at all.

Up high the branches were covered in ice and when the wind rustled 'em it sounded like wind chimes. Very cool indeed.

Kurt