Stealin' Ike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Paradox, Laurie and I drove up to the Edmands Path trailhead and started up for Ike around 8:20. There was almost no snow down low, but a little ice. As we went up, we switched to microspikes and kept them on for most of the hike. We slowly gained elevation, being tired from yesterday and the day before. The sky started clearing, with the temps around freezing.

Around 3000', we started to encounter a little fresh snow. As we went higher, the snow depth slowly increased. When we got to the flat traverse, there was 4-6" of snow, which had mostly been packed down by previous hikers. Once in a while we would break thru down a foot or more. When we hit the junction, we were mostly above tree line, and the wind picked up a little bit. But the clouds had blown in as well. It was not so bad that we could not follow the cairns. We slowly continued up to the top, arriving around 11:50. Another couple came up from the South at the same time. We chatted briefly and then started down.

On the way back we met Rolling Rock and a friend. Nice to meet you! As we went back down, the clouds blew away, and we could see Monroe, Big W, and Jefferson. NICE! We were down to 1 layer by the time we got back to the car around 2:00. Off to party hardy with Chip and family! :D

HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D

1 or 2, very minor.

I saw your (maiden) name yesterday at the North Twin trail P.A. as a trail maintainer. Are you working on Edmands as well?

Yes, I've been maintaining Edmands as well for 2011 and will continue to in 2012. Its a great trail with a zillion water bars. :eek: They took a hit during Irene so I've had to do double duty out there this season.

The FS hasn't changed that volunteer maintainer sign yet.

Last edited:
I am loving this winter so far! Winter hiking is so much easier without all the snow....I hope it STAYS this way! :D

Brian

Till we have to actually do a substantial hike with s.shoes and our legs pay the price!Usually in southern nh we can at least go into the woods and snow shoe to get in shape for the whites, but this winter I gotta settle for a hard frost.Can someone please do a snow dance!

I am loving this winter so far! Winter hiking is so much easier without all the snow....I hope it STAYS this way! :D

Brian

Have to admit, I'm feeling the same way right now. Wouldn't want the peaks competely bare, but this relatively small amount of snow feels just right.

Congrats, Tom!

I must have just missed you. What a great day to be up high!!! I was very suprised to see a car at the summer lot when I got down....the gate was also open at the other end. IS it really winter? Where is the SNOW??!!

-MEB

Off to party hardy with Chip and family! :D

HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D

Shocked that I've gotten to an age where "partying hardy" with friends on New Years Eve involves searching the web for Greenland and South American celebrations to view because they're an hour or two earlier ;).
Good seeing everyone and getting out in the woods again, though it was "only" Hale.

I must have just missed you. What a great day to be up high!!! I was very suprised to see a car at the summer lot when I got down....the gate was also open at the other end. IS it really winter? Where is the SNOW??!!

-MEB
Only a single SUV? If so, we were already gone. That would have been RR.