Still paddling?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALGonquin Bob

Reaction score
With the unusually mild fall temps, the north country lakes have yet to freeze over (though there was ice creeping across some lakes last weekend). Who is still out there paddling? My neoprene stands ready and I hope to do at least a brief paddle this weekend when I pick up my new solo canoe from Mountainman. Lakes and ponds here in western NY have not even begun to ice up.

I'm supposed to visit the seals here on the Great South Bay this Saturday, of course I had to ask permission from u know who. She said "yes" which was real nice of her considering it's my b day on Saturday :rolleyes:

Have fun bob picking up your new boat

Alistair, I know it's a long trip for you but if your around or want to crash at my place Fri night your welcome, or just paddle app 100 miles South, turn left at the statue of Liberty, go past Brooklyn and coney Island, pass Kennedy airport and paddle another 20 plus miles, I'll meet you over there.:D

I can't do this Saturday .......... but I am off work between Christmas and NewYear if you are available.

I'd like to do some catskill hiking that week, plus a campout....hmmm where did you have in mind?

Central NH lakes still ice-free

FWIW, the lakes here in central NH are still without ice, and a day's paddle this weekend is quite possible. Enjoy.

Went paddling with IndianChris yesterday on the Peconic River here on Eastern Long Island. It was chilly and I was dressed for immersion. We saw a few Blue Herons up close, marvelous looking animals, also huge once they lifted off. Can't wait to go again!

I paddled a local creek Saturday and again yesterday. Planning to paddle Oak Orchard creek (Medina) this weekend.

Hey Remix, see your in Torrington. Check out this site

http://viewsandbrews.com/ct/CTList.html

I don't remember where I hiked or drank but I did hang out in your area, I would have to go back and read it again. Great time over there. You should start a new list! :D

Here's the main site http://viewsandbrews.com/

Thats interesting coldfeet, I will look for a place with big hearth because just around this time a year, sipping a cold one is not as good as "augmented" hot chocolate or strong "medicinal cinamonn" tea. ! Im tinkering around with the idea of going over to Stockport Flats (ny hudson) tomorrow...looking forward to eagles....snow showers not so much.

Last edited:
Greenwick CT

Spend Saturday morning paddling off Greenwich, CT. Launched from Grass Island Park.

Still able to paddle in the Buffalo area, with minimal ice, and litttle snow around. Just back from a 10-day solo road trip to Florida. Hauled my sea kayak and new canoe on this 3000+ mile trip. Paddled 5 straight days while in FLA: Cape Canaveral (ocean paddling w/a fun surf launch), north of Orlando (Blue Springs and Wekiva state parks), and north of Tampa at Homosassa (Weeki Wachee and Chassahowitzka River). Saw alligators, turtles, manatees, and hundreds of birds. Even saw our robins in my friend's back yard. Was lucky enough to have no precipitation the entire time, warm temps, and dry roads all the way home.

Does this count as "still paddling"?

Two weeks ago I paddled at Cumberland Island, the southern most barrier island in Georgia. Most of the island is a National Seashore, some wilderness. I paddled a bit in Cumberland Sound which includes the intracoastal waterway but for the most part I stayed in the shelter of the salt marshes, especially when I rounded one marsh island into a 25 knot headwind and choppy whitecaps ... hated to do a hasty retreat to calmer waters when I spotted dolphin, including the spout from one blowhole, but figured I'd soon be in the drink with them if I didn't.

Water temps I estimate were in the high 50's, low 60's and the air was in the 60's. The tide was with me in both directions, for a change, but the ebb against that wind was challenging in open waters.

Will post more details on trip reports since I also did some hiking and biking.

Bob, good for you, sounds like all was perfect.

Stan, sounds like u were in the water doing something, so i'd guess it counts.

I'm off to Catskill this weekend for the catskill 3500 club winter weekend and it looks like no snow :confused: Just as well for driving conditions but I would like to see some snow on the trails. be well

Too bad we don't have any snow, I hear downhill kayaking is alot of fun.