stony clove wheather patterns?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I spent 3 day at devils tombstone campground and it seems to me that this area has its own wheather pattern. All three days it was party cloudy in the southern end near Phonecia and gray to dark gray towards hunter. I was in phonecia Sat afternoon it was sunny. I started up north and I though it was going to thunderstorm. I was standing on orchard point on Plateau mnt and Hunter was in the clouds, everything south of it was partly sunny :confused: .
It was upposed to be sunny today in hunter, I climbed hunter mnt and was again in the clouds(again) :mad:
I hope this wheather we have been having the last 2 years starts to clear up. I cant remember the last really clear blue sky while I was on a summit. The wheather man doesn't help. I herd on the radio last week a poll that was taken. Over %80 of the people don't trust the wheather man to be right. If the wheatherman tells me its dark at midnight, I'm sticking my head out the window to make sure :rolleyes:

weathers fine

About 1.5 hours after I saw you on Becker Hollow trail near the top, the cloud level lifted to just above the fire tower and the views were decent.

great for you, I'm glad it cleared up for you. One and a half hours after I saw you I was in my car going home, so not so great for me. thanks for the advice on snowshoeing in the catskills though.

I think the mountains laugh at the weather men and treat the forecasts with disdain bordering on contempt. All mountains generate their own weather. Slightly moist air fronts that may be clear over valleys condense into clouds as they flow over mountains. The northern Catskill valleys tend to be about 1000' higher than the Esopus valley in the south. The northern Catskills tend to be a bit more cloudy perhaps as a result, but I have seen occasions where it is just the opposite. It is always pot luck when there are clouds around.

The Catskills were socked in over most of the last weekend with just a few breaks until mid Sunday afternoon. I was hiking at Belleayre on Sunday. The clouds looked poised to rain hard several times, but only produced a few brief sprinkles. The clouds did keep the temperatures down and most of the bugs at bay. I like the overcast while walking through the forests. Without the dark shadows I often see more wildlife. I unintentionally came within 12 feet of a young mother black bear with two cubs in tow. They could not have cared less about my presence, and never even gave me a glance. A very laid back and cool experience, like the whole day.