/stove +/jetboil +/opinions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jetboil

I have used a whisperlite for many years and usually the cooking process is kicked off with a giant fireball and lots of cursing. I bought a jetboil maybe 2 years ago, and now the only reason I would use the whisperlite is for melting snow on winter trips with many people. I have used my jetboil many, many times in the winter in bad conditions, windy and down to -20 with absolutely no problems at all. The secret is to put the fuel canister in one of the pockets of your down coat while you are setting up camp to warm it up. I keep it in there whenever I am not using is, and I dont even notice that it is in there. I think it works just fine in all conditions that we have around here IMHO. :) Ususally I just boil water in it to use in the mountain house type meals, but I've made soup and noodles etc in it too.

Jetboil

Closest thing we have come to a back-country Starbucks is using the French Press! Best coffee ever....no real problem with coffee grounds.

Just a word of caution.....follow the manufacturers instructions to the very letter. I have seen boiling water shoot out the spout about a foot (not mine of course.... :rolleyes: ). I think (and don't quote me) part of instructions indicate that the cap should be on loosely, using the lowest flame necessary, and should be well monitored during the boiling process = none of these instructions were really followed at the time. It is just a good thing no one was within striking distance when it happened. Moral of the story.........if your attention span can be easily diverted by a pretty little bird that you've have never seen before.....make sure your hiking partner is at least more alert.

ADK

Last edited: