Success Pond Road directions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc McPeak

Reaction score
saratoga springs Avatar: Spring has sprung ... ju
Does anyone have up-to-date directions to Success Pond Road from Route 16. I'll be heading north from route 2.

Also. Once I pop out on to Rt. 26 on the far end, what do you feel is the best route up to AT just south of Rangely? I could go up to 16, which I plan to use to return, but ...
I have also charted a scenic tour of:
26 North to:
120 East to:
a backroads tour of S. Arm Rd. (Hey arm, you been here?) to:
Byron Road to: Roxbury Pond Road to: Easter Hill Road to:
17 North to:
another shortcut on Main Road to:
4 North to the AT parking...

Any thoughts on this Maine backroads tour?

Can't help you on the N end of Success Pond Rd, but the south end has stayed in the same place for at least 5 years.

Very easy: take Rt 16 north until you get to the Gorham/Berlin line. (after the Shaws and Wal-mart, after the "cascade flats" sign, before you get to downtown Berlin) Shortly after the town line sign for Berlin, there is a stoplight at a bridge leading east. Take the bridge. This is Unity St.

This goes past the former paper mill complex & a convenience store (a "Big Apple" store I think). You basically stay going straight; Unity Street becomes Hutchins Street & curves around a little bit. After the mill yard it curves left and the town landfill is on the right. This is fenced-off. Success Pond Rd is the dirt road leading off to the right after the fence ends.

Here are a few additions to Arghmans directions in bold.

Very easy: take Rt 16 north until you get to the Gorham/Berlin line. (after the Shaws and Wal-mart, after the "cascade flats" sign, before you get to downtown Berlin).Drive past the Fraser papermill (on your right) Shortly after the town line sign for Berlin, there is a stoplight at a bridge leading east. Take the bridge. This is Unity St. Directly across the street from the Irving Gas station

This goes past the former paper mill complex & a convenience store (a "Big Apple" store I think) It is a Big Apple (last store before Success Pond) . You basically stay going straight; Unity Street becomes Hutchins Street & curves around a little bit. Just keep the fenceline of the Pulpmill on your immediate left, you will pass a small cluster of houses on your left After the mill yard it curves left and the town landfillentrance gate is on the right. This is fenced-off. Success Pond Rd is about 1/4 mile past the landfill gate on the right the dirt road leading off to the right after the fence ends.There is no sign at the end of the road although occasionally there is an "OHRV" parking sign on the left. If you encounter houses again and a four way intersection you have goen too far If you drive out the same way, make sure that you note the road coming in from the right about 1/2 mille in. It is a dead end but many people go straight onto it rather than bearing right when they are leaving the area.
BTW, the best eating in the North country IMHO is near by at the end of the day. When you come out of Success Pond road take a right, proceed to the next intersection and take a left then a quick right (near a rental tool place). Go north and take a left at the flashing light. Cross the river and take a right back onto Rt 16. Go North about 3/4 of a mile and look for the Northland Dairy Bar. Order Dessert First ! They do have a liquor license. To go back south ,just follow rt 16 back to Gorham.

Awesome scoops! Thanks a million. I'll be driving from NY and planning to climb Goose Eye that same day and hoped to avoid a hiccup getting to the road.

I've heard the rave reviews of the Northland Dairy Bar. I may start the hike off with a visit there, as well!